LIRR Locomotive Engineer Orientation Questions

hoodciti

I was wondering if anyone has recently went thru LIRR's Orientation for Locomotive engineer. This has been my dream job since I was a kid so I want to be completely prepared. So My question is in my orientation letter it was stated that there would be two tests.... does anyone know what those two tests are about, what may be on them and possibly how to prepare.

Many thanks in advance.

Good Luck!!!!!

Hope this helps.

It is very hard to become an engineer for the LIRR. When they first call you they interview you and then give you signals and definitions that you have to learn in about 1-2weeks. You have to get a 100% on the signals and 100% on the definitions. You have to copy the definitions word for word. Trust me the definitions are long. If you miss a word, phrase or use a different tense the definitions is considered wrong. If you pass this phase you are invited down to take the test to get into the trainee program. They give you a thick pamphelet with all 85 of their signals and 40 definitions and you get exactley 2 weeks to learn it on your own. You have to score a 100% on the signal portion. 5 of the signals are amtrak signals which confuses you a little. Then you have to learn all...all of the definitions word for word. IF you pass that then you are invited to their version of school car(non-paid). When I was going to go it was every wed. at 5 and all day Sat in the area closest to your instructor. You have to pass practicals weekly and a panel interview at the end to get your permit, and you have to draw the entire lirr system from memory including all stops,switches and signals. Then after a year you have to qualify again and pass a panel interview to get your engineer license. This is a hard process and in my case i couldnt retain all the information while having a full-time job and daughter running around.

thanks MTA Traveler! so far so good Ive taken 3 tests so far and I got thru! 70 people were in the orientation and its seems like a little under 40 made it. I go for a panel interview in about a week and I have about 3 weeks to learn signals and definitions.  

Archived