Route priorities

Ok, so I have some questions: how are route priorities determined? for example why is is that the 4 has priority over the other two routes on the Lex? I understand that part time routes are always the first to go but what determines the priority between the full time services on each corridor?

Thanks!

Correct me I'm wrong, but I don't think the (4) has priority over the (6) because the two do not share the same track. Maybe the (4) has priority over the (5) but I have made the observation that the (5) train pulls into a station more often than the (4) making me believe that maybe the (5) may have priority over the (4). Or maybe the simple answer is scheduling. Perhaps more (5) trains are scheduled in-between the (4) trains. Hope this helps.

I don't know about the part-time routes having priority, but I would assume that is incorrect. Here are two posts by TwoTimer (here and here) that contain info on your topic - scenarios included.

@CastleHillAvenue: 6 Lexington Av might be referring to weekends, which is when 4 and 6 trains run local along the Lexington Av line.

I don't know about the part-time routes having priority, but I would assume that is incorrect. Here are two posts by TwoTimer (here and here) that contain info on your topic - scenarios included.

@CastleHillAvenue: 6 Lexington Av might be referring to weekends, which is when 4 and 6 trains run local along the Lexington Av line.

You mean late nights only.  (4) runs express on weekends.

When I said the first to go I meant the first to be suspended.

Everytine the (B) and (D) arrived at 59th, the former always had priority. That, or I was just lucky to not stay on the (D).

Nope, in the case of 59th St, if a (B) and (D) arrive together, it's the train which is scheduled to depart earlier which gets priority. Because if they let two (D) 's run down 6th Ave in a row, the C/R is going to get bombarded with "is the (B) still running???" at every stop until Brooklyn, even if it's rush hour.

The (4) gets "priority" over the (5) because the (4) covers a much larger portion of the system on its own. The (5) can always get cut to a Dyre-E180 shuttle at a moment's notice and as long as the (2) and (4) are still running, every other station will have service. Same with the (B) and (C) (and previously the V and W)

Sometimes it's due to the proximity of the superintendent's office to the tower, hence why the (N) will always get priority over the (D) at Gold St.....

Archived