This doesn't sound right...

PinePower

The 2:51PM train from Montauk due Jamaica at 5:50PM is canceled due to congestion caused by an earlier disabled train at Sayville.  

Basically a train breaks down in Sayville this afternoon screwing up the whole Montauk branch. I see in my messages they cancel the 2:51pm westbound train from Montauk...and there's no mention of any bus service being provided. Being that's practically the last train of the day, just how do they expect people to get where they need to go? The 2:51pm gets a good amount of passengers, so if they truly were left stranded there were angry mobs. It's also a violation of the LIRR's "pledge" to riders, remember that?

Alternative Transportation – We will make every effort to stop trains at stations and open the doors to allow customers to seek alternate transportation and will provide customers with information concerning alternate routes and means of transportation. If scheduled LIRR service is not available, we will make every effort to provide customers with emergency bus service when possible.

http://www.mta.info/supplemental/lirr/LIRRPledge.htm

I believe it is, 3:15pm 10C leaves Montauk Village, arrives in East Hampton 4:30pm, S92 at 4:40pm arrives in Riverhead around 6pm, S62 at 6:30pm or 7pm to Port Jeff LIRR. Montauk & Amagansett 10C, East Hampton, Bridgehampton, Southampton, Hampton Bays S92.

There's also an S90 that serves Westhampton LIRR which doesn't serve Quogue and goes right past around 4:30pm.

I know my alternatives but the others may not, I'm sure Hampton Jitney had a fun time robbing people today. They sent buses east for the cancelled 11:30am from Jamaica so I'd assume they'd use them to carry people back from the 2:51pm. Hopefully just a typo on the LIRR's part. But the same thing was posted on their Twitter as well.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>The 2:51PM train from Montauk due Jamaica at 5:50PM is canceled due to congestion caused by an earlier disabled train at Sayville.</p>— LIRR (@LIRR) <a href="https://twitter.com/LIRR/statuses/361912698264502272">July 29, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Archived