Ontario Northland passenger car rusting away in Amsterdam

Vistausss

5RhWjJb.jpg

(sorry for the slight distortion; the only way to capture it was from within a speeding train)

This one's rusting away for several months now at the huge Watergraafsmeer depot in Amsterdam. Too bad because it could be a nice museum car :) I wonder why this one's in Amsterdam instead of Canada though...

It's part of a Trans Europe Express set that ON bought after the TEE service ceased. When ON themself stopped using the sets one was brought back to Europe for preservation.

I know about the TEE they bought, but this car is no part of the original TEE consist AFAIK because the design is different. I know, because about 6 km from the Watergraafsmeer yard where this one is stored, a former ON TEE is stalled at the Amsterdam Central yard. It really is a different design.

It's part of a Trans Europe Express set that ON bought after the TEE service ceased. When ON themself stopped using the sets one was brought back to Europe for preservation.

So it's not going to be in revenue service (obviously for the reasons Vistausss stated) but is to be a museum car if it is slated for preservation as you've stated? By a private firm? Or the agency that handles transit operations along this transit network?

I know about the TEE they bought, but this car is no part of the original TEE consist AFAIK because the design is different. I know, because about 6 km from the Watergraafsmeer yard where this one is stored, a former ON TEE is stalled at the Amsterdam Central yard. It really is a different design.

IIRC the ON did rebuild some of the cars. The basic carbody design should be the same however.

EDIT: Take a look at this photo. The second car from the camera has the same window line as this car, and it is the same carbody design as the rest of the train.

Archived