MNR's New West Haven Station Is Open For Business

Harry

While I don't know the exact reasoning, I'm going to speculate that it has something to do with CP10 and CP11 being at opposite ends of the rock cut there for placing the mileposts in close proximity.

I don't know the exact reasoning either, but an MNRR employee on railroad.net said: "Since milepost extend from NY to Cleveland and maybe even to Chicago it would have cost the NYC millions to move and correct some 500 milepost just because the realligning at Marble hill."

Someone else in that topic said: "The distance to Chicago once began at Penn Station down the westside of Manhattan. But when it was remeasured from GCT the distance was 3864 feet less so that is why the distance between MP 10 and MP 11 is only 1416 feet."

(in the 1800's NYC's predecessor did have a passenger terminal on the west side)

There's also this picture from 1939 of MP10: http://images.nypl.org/?id=734334F&t=w

I don't know the exact reasoning either, but an MNRR employee on railroad.net said: "Since milepost extend from NY to Cleveland and maybe even to Chicago it would have cost the NYC millions to move and correct some 500 milepost just because the realligning at Marble hill."

Someone else in that topic said: "The distance to Chicago once began at Penn Station down the westside of Manhattan. But when it was remeasured from GCT the distance was 3864 feet less so that is why the distance between MP 10 and MP 11 is only 1416 feet."

(in the 1800's NYC's predecessor did have a passenger terminal on the west side)

There's also this picture from 1939 of MP10: http://images.nypl.org/?id=734334F&t=w

According to an Conrail ETT, CP437 (near Buffalo's Frontier Yard) is MP 437.2 from Grand Central and becomes MP 0 for mileage to Cleveland (MP 97.5) and the division point where CP and CN begin, MP 28.2

Archived