Rail chiefs launch €350m Paris Metro clean-up

Minato ku

Rail chiefs launch €350m Paris Metro clean-up
Published: 03 Sep 2013 10:17

The time has come to tackle Paris's grimey Metro, once and for all, according to transport chiefs, who announced this week a multi-million euro plan to rid the network and its stations of their infamous filth.

It’s a common complaint from visitors and residents alike: filthy, litter-strewn Metro stations, smelly stairs and walkways, and hot, humid platforms.
It should bring hope, then, that the operator RATP – which runs the Metro and other rail services around Paris – pledged on Monday to invest €70 million ($92 million) per year, over five years for a mass clean up of the network.
From October, there will be 3,400 unannounced, monthly check-ups by grime inspectors on the daily work of the 1,000 cleaning staff employed by RATP.
The inspectors will be tasked with ensuring a proper standard of cleanliness and odour removal from thousands of trains and 366 stations, including the notoriously dirty Châtelet-les-Halles station.

A further €40 million will be spent to try to put a plug the longstanding problem of leaks on Paris Metro, which can cause humidity, deterioration of walls and platforms, and slippery or stagnant puddles inside the station.
Between now and 2015, works on 70 stations like Bastille and Palais-Royal will aim to make the city’s more than 100-year-old underground network watertight.

The investment plans come just days after it was revealed that RATP had lost €100 million in fares last year alone, due to unscrupulous commuters evading ticket inspectors.
The same report found that fare-dodgers had cost national rail provider SNCF a whopping €300 million in 2012.
As a result, RATP chief Mongin on Monday called for a hike in fines, as a way to put off potential fare-dodgers.
"We punish fare-dodgers too modestly," he was quoted as saying by French daily Le Figaro.
"So I will be asking the state for an increase in the amounts of fines, as a deterrent for these kinds of violations, especially for repeat offenders," he added.
At present, those caught without a proper ticket on the Paris metro, and buses in and around the capital, face fines between €30 and €60.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20130903/operator-launches-plan-to-clean-up-paris-metro

This is the new, I waited for it a long time, the state of Paris metro is quite bad, the network has never been a model of cleaness and this time to change it.

An other major problem is the water infiltration, a station like République which have been renovated only a few years ago is now in worst state than before the renovation.

http://www.thelocal.fr/20130903/operator-launches-plan-to-clean-up-paris-metro

This is the new, I waited for it a long time, the state of Paris metro is quite bad, the network has never been a model of cleaness and this time to change it.

An other major problem is the water infiltration, a station like République which have been renovated only a few years ago is now in worst state than before the renovation.

If it's any consolation, for a while there was an open sewage pipe dumping into the middle of one of the local tracks at West 4th St.

If only the MTA had this sort of vision when it came to cleaning... or at least publicized a list of priority stations.

If it's any consolation, for a while there was an open sewage pipe dumping into the middle of one of the local tracks at West 4th St.

If it's any consolation, when they were building the street car tunnel in Downtown The Haque about 15 years ago, the tunnel would get flooded all the time. One day before the final opening date (which was already delayed by 2 years) it got flooded again. It eventually opened anyway and it hasn't flooded since.

Paris soil is full of ground water and this is a big problem for underground facilities.

This is clearly visible at Opéra/Auber station and this is far to be the only station affected. 

DSC23400a.jpg

This station has been renovated five year ago

DSC57120a.jpg

DSC57042a.jpg

The following pictures are not mine, these were taken by Indy G, a member of an other forum that I know.

ap1030366.jpg

ap1030384.jpg

ap1030390.jpg

This is right inside the CBD of one of the wealthiest city of the world.

If it's any consolation, when they were building the street car tunnel in Downtown The Haque about 15 years ago, the tunnel would get flooded all the time. One day before the final opening date (which was already delayed by 2 years) it got flooded again. It eventually opened anyway and it hasn't flooded since.

I mean, there's a difference between having water damage because of the water table, and piping in human waste and polluted water onto the actual tracks of the subway. And West 4th was supposed to be the premier transfer point in the IND system.

I mean, there's a difference between having water damage because of the water table, and piping in human waste and polluted water onto the actual tracks of the subway. And West 4th was supposed to be the premier transfer point in the IND system.

I never said it was only the water table. It was mainly the water table but also some polluted water.

And the street car tunnel does boast two major stops as well because they're built right under the heart of Downtown The Haque in that tunnel.

Archived