Hell Gate Pt 1

Fred G

You gotta be patient at this place. I saw and photographed 7 trains in 2 hours +. :( Anyway they're fun shots so it was worth it I think. A train crossing the main span is obscured by bridgework but the ramp coming up from Hunts Point makes for a good photo op.

06+AEM7+902+on+Hell+Gate.jpg

07+Northeast+Regional+Train+over+Wards+Island.jpg

08+Closeup+of+AEM7+902.jpg

12+Closeup+of+HHP-8+657.jpg

13+Northbound+Acela+descending+Hell+Gate.jpg

19+Acela+2007+over+Wards+Island.jpg

22+Hell+Gate+view+from+Astoria+Park+3.jpg

25+Black+and+White+view.jpg

I'll return soon, probably to the Ward/Randalls Island side to pick up the slack.

Excellent photos Fred! I have yet to just sit in the area and take photos of the trains passing by.

Thanks, Pablo, it is a nice park anyway. I caught a lot of boat pics, both recreational and commerce craft as well as the 7 Amtrak trains. I was hoping for some freight but saw none.

(F)reddie (G) does it again! Nice shots man!

The freight traffic runs on a pretty regular schedule in the new york metro area because of all the industry & ports.

If you'd like i might be able to ask my woman's dad about NS schedules in NJ. He is the yard supervisor in charge of cargo. His section is a car ferry terminal that unloads mostly toyotas but other cars too. PM me bout it if you like. Might be cool to catch a mile long car carrier train! :(

- Andy

The freight traffic runs on a pretty regular schedule in the new york metro area because of all the industry & ports.

If you'd like i might be able to ask my woman's dad about NS schedules in NJ. He is the yard supervisor in charge of cargo. His section is a car ferry terminal that unloads mostly toyotas but other cars too. PM me bout it if you like. Might be cool to catch a mile long car carrier train! :(

- Andy

Hmmm....ask him about the freight that runs through by Jersey City, mainly by Liberty State Park, thats the freight line by me. I know a time for one train that pass through but I'm never ready for a shot or its going in the wrong direction.

Hmmm....ask him about the freight that runs through by Jersey City, mainly by Liberty State Park, thats the freight line by me. I know a time for one train that pass through but I'm never ready for a shot or its going in the wrong direction.

Ok i'll ask. I know that runs to the oil tanker port down by 22nd st, but i'll see if i can catch the schedule from him. The tank cars on that train have petroleum distillate raw materials in them or are empty. The other cars either have parts for repairs etc or are empties being shuffled along for the ride etc.

- Andy

excellent pics as always Fred !

astoria is a nice park, not much to do there tho lol

Thanks for the compliment, Error!

Not much to do? I found avoiding the dog crap a challenging activity! :(

If you'd like i might be able to ask my woman's dad about NS schedules in NJ. He is the yard supervisor in charge of cargo. His section is a car ferry terminal that unloads mostly toyotas but other cars too. PM me bout it if you like. Might be cool to catch a mile long car carrier train! :D

- Andy

Thanks, Andy :D

PM sent and per the contents, let's include Pablo and Curake79 in the loop?

Thanks for the compliment, Error!

Not much to do? I found avoiding the dog crap a challenging activity! :(

Thanks, Andy :D

PM sent and per the contents, let's include Pablo and Curake79 in the loop?

Yes totally. The possible only reason he wouldn't be able to give me the info is if they have specific security constraints, because the area is serving a car carrier port & thousands of cars are parked there, so we will see. I sent PM back with some more details. If it can happen i'd like to keep the group small so our chances of a "yes" are better. The port & line isn't going anywhere soon, so if others wanna join in we can, if permission is granted, do it over time with small groups of who ever is interested :D

- Andy

You know they're hot....:(

Thanks, Zach!

Yes totally. The possible only reason he wouldn't be able to give me the info is if they have specific security constraints, because the area is serving a car carrier port & thousands of cars are parked there, so we will see. I sent PM back with some more details. If it can happen i'd like to keep the group small so our chances of a "yes" are better. The port & line isn't going anywhere soon, so if others wanna join in we can, if permission is granted, do it over time with small groups of who ever is interested :D

- Andy

Even if it's just a schedule for a train or 2 on the line, I for one would be amply pleased.

Archived