Question about Secaucus Transfer

46Dover

I have to ask, what was the idea of having 4 platforms on the Northeast Corridor section of Secaucus Transfer station? Wouldn't it have made sense to have the regular two local platforms with the middle two tracks open for non stop trains?

i agree with the above because during the football game, i think there one or two game trains that can terminate there for Connecticut  game goers.

There is one more input that in my head. If the train have mechanical problem at secaucus junction they can use the other tracks without interrupting the other direction. 

It also can be what Amtrak told the Nj this is how it should be built. (Just a wild guess)

One other thing it three platforms not 4. one middle island and 2 side platforms. 

I have to ask, what was the idea of having 4 platforms on the Northeast Corridor section of Secaucus Transfer station? Wouldn't it have made sense to have the regular two local platforms with the middle two tracks open for non stop trains?

The station is designed for 3-1 operation, so the 2 inner tracks are used to "stag" trains during the peak hour incase there is delay, while one outside track is used for expresses and Amtraks, the other is used for reverse peak trains (both stop and non-stop).A typical AM Rush hour set up would be Eastbounds stopping on track A & occasionally B (inner tracks) with express trains bypassing the station on track 2 and reverse peak trains stopping on 3, process is reversed in the evening. It also is designed for the station to serve as terminal simultaneously while providing thru service,if need to be.

Archived