NYCT Career Advice 101 Help?

moneyandmuscle

Happy Veterans day to all, I'm a new memeber to the form. Ive read a lot of post but I just receently signed up and dicded to become active....

I'm 28yrs old and I have a 5yr old son, I currently work for a private online marketing company. I want a career change and I've always been a fan of NYCT employees since my dad is a soon to be retired bus operator. What is the best way to get into MTA besides being a station cleaner? Ive taken the train operator exam and I have 2 bus operator exams coming up very soon (MTA) (mabstoa)  What would you guys suggest? 

Patience is key. Im a student urban planner, but i do have a little insight into transit positions. The economy is picking up, more positions should open for most public positions, especially as those who held off retirement start to move out , people in the middle move up and open more spots at the bottom. Not sure if this is the case for the MTA, but its true for may public sector positions. I agree that civil service exams are key too. Make some connections in the MTA, connections help tremendously

Sent from my Nokia 521 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I'm 28yrs old and I have a 5yr old son, I currently work for a private online marketing company. I want a career change and I've always been a fan of NYCT employees since my dad is a soon to be retired bus operator. What is the best way to get into MTA besides being a station cleaner? Ive taken the train operator exam and I have 2 bus operator exams coming up very soon (MTA) (mabstoa)  What would you guys suggest?

What do you want to do in transit? Drive a bus? Operate trains? Desk job? There are two ways in: open competitive tests (bus op, train op, conductor, bus mechanic, etc) or the open interview process for titles such as analyst (administration positions). Keep checking the MTA website for employment opportunities. Both types of jobs will be posted if available.

• 2 weeks later...

I would just say to keep an eye out and take as many civil exams as possible. By the way, how do you get to be a station cleaner? How do you apply for that position?

Two ways to be a station cleaner submit your resume and see if they contact you or thru nyc work force for people currently on welfare or unemployment. They linked up with the parks department and MTA to give certain people jobs that are forced to work to keep their welfare/public assistance.

What do you want to do in transit? Drive a bus? Operate trains? Desk job? There are two ways in: open competitive tests (bus op, train op, conductor, bus mechanic, etc) or the open interview process for titles such as analyst (administration positions). Keep checking the MTA website for employment opportunities. Both types of jobs will be posted if available.

I will do pretty much anything, I have a diverse background. I would perfer a labor job rather than just sitting behind the desk but I will take pretty much anything to get in.

Archived