Question about the NJCL

Harry

While at the NJCL branch (Aberdeen-Matawan, Long Branch) I noticed locomotives pulling both ways. I don't live in those parts my girlfriend does, but my question is...

I thought the trains always pull towards NWKP,NYP and push back out towards NJCL branch... is this true?

Maybe there's some exceptions when they don't.

I'm not sure if NJ Transit has a specific system when putting together trains especially electric consists. I notice especially with the NJCL Hoboken Diesel consists the push the trains when going north (Eastbound) and pull their train when going south(Westbound)

Eric

This is how I found out,Its because the trains go to bayhead and they run around a circle at bayhead. So meaning a train leaves bayhead loco first,it will pull into penn loco first obviously. Then on the way back the cab car will be in front as well as the return trip to penn.

Hope this clears it up.

I'm not sure if NJ Transit has a specific system when putting together trains especially electric consists. I notice especially with the NJCL Hoboken Diesel consists the push the trains when going north (Eastbound) and pull their train when going south(Westbound)

I think its the same deal with the NJCL with some exceptions like I stated. Almost all trains I watched go south were being pushed. I started noticing some were being pulled recently. I could be wrong I'm not always there anyway. Only on weekends.

This is how I found out,Its because the trains go to bayhead and they run around a circle at bayhead. So meaning a train leaves bayhead loco first,it will pull into penn loco first obviously. Then on the way back the cab car will be in front as well as the return trip to penn.

Hope this clears it up.

That video doesn't show much. Plus, I'm not familiar with that area.

On the NJCL the Catenary wires end in Long Branch. South of Long Branch all NJ Transit trains are diesel consists. The loop that NewJerseyT shows in the photo is the Bay Head Yard Loop. The practice goes back to the CNJ days when push-pull technology was non existant. Electric Consists in the form of ALP-44 and ALP-46 electric locomotives ALL Terminate in Long Branch as that's where the Catenary ends. There have been proposals to electrify the rest of the NJCL down to Bay Head but I personally doubt that will ever happen as there is just not enough service. If NJ Transit still used the Arrow III MU Cars could still be used on the NJCL than that might be a option because NJ Transit will NOT BE SENDING A 3 CAR ALP-44 OR ALP-46 CONSIST DOWN TO BAY HEAD!

Eric

with push-pull electric trains it doesn't really matter,with diesel trains on the Hoboken Division or trains to Hoboken the diesel is always facing west,on Bay Head Shuttle Trains it doesnt matter which way the diesels face,and Arrow III trains can run on South Amboy Locals but can't run to Long Branch due to a voltage change in Matawan and only ALP 44/46 can make voltage changes

with push-pull electric trains it doesn't really matter,with diesel trains on the Hoboken Division or trains to Hoboken the diesel is always facing west,on Bay Head Shuttle Trains it doesnt matter which way the diesels face,and Arrow III trains can run on South Amboy Locals but can't run to Long Branch due to a voltage change in Matawan and only ALP 44/46 can make voltage changes

The voltage change problem as its called by NJT is that the ArrowIII MU Cars can't change voltages on the Fly. The phase gap where the voltage changes is south of the Aberdeen/Matawan Station.

Eric

Eric was right that it doesn't matter which way trains push/pull on the NJCL. Today I saw the exact opposite of what I originally posted. I watched an ALP46 #4613 pull towards Long Branch and then watched the ALP46 #4613 push back towards NWP.

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned above, Hoboken trains typically have the locomotive positioned on the west end of the consist although the infrequent exception will occur. This procedure was developed to prevent units having to pull deep into the terminal due to the associated noise and exhaust. The Bay Head - Long Branch shuttles can have the locomotives on either end.

Earle

The loop is similar to the 1, 5, and 6 trains.

It does not matter where the loco is on a NJT train. One time I was taking a NJT train from Trenton and a cab car was in front, another time, the loco was in front.

Here is a track map of the NJCL line:

http://www.richegreen.com/NJCoastV826.pdf

Since the file is 22 KB, it is best to save it to your computer.

Archived