Detroit buses could be getting own police force

Turbo19

Local 4 has learned that there’s a plan in the works to put more officers on buses as part of a Detroit Department of Transportation police force.

City bus drivers have been demanding more security.

Earlier this month, a bus driver had bleach thrown on him.

Read: DDOT bus driver attacked with bleach

DDOT union president Fred Westbrook said the drivers are awaiting a proposal to be approved by City Council that would create the transit police force.

"We as transit operators here in the city of Detroit have been looking forward to it for years. We hope it goes through," he said.

If the proposal is pushed through, officers will be riding on the buses, but there will be a coast. The general fund will have to cough up more than $2 million.

Read More: Source

This is a good move as it ensures the saftey concerning the passengers and the bus operators, very good tactical move.

However I am concerned about the fact that racial profiling may become a problem in a new light. This is speculation based on disturbing facts becaue this is exactly what happens whether people want to face it or not.

This is a good move as it ensures the saftey concerning the passengers and the bus operators, very good tactical move.

However I am concerned about the fact that racial profiling may become a problem in a new light. This is speculation based on disturbing facts becaue this is exactly what happens whether people want to face it or not.

If you ask me I think this just opens many more problems for both drivers and passengers alike. I'm without doubt that if this were to be implement there would be complaints on the matter within the first month of implementation.

If you ask me I think this just opens many more problems for both drivers and passengers alike. I'm without doubt that if this were to be implement there would be complaints on the matter within the first month of implementation.

I think with the Airlines and their Air Marshals, why can't we have law enforcement on the buses? If we follow the model as far as the Marshals is concerned, there shouldn't be a problem

If DDOT never hads funds for anything else, then where are they getting the funds for this then?

In the defense of DDOT they did manage to secure funding for the Rosa Parks transit center, as well as the leasing of D40LF's from New Flyer Industries, and the most recent purchase of BRT Plus buses from Gillig Limited Liability Corporation.

I think with the Airlines and their Air Marshals, why can't we have law enforcement on the buses? If we follow the model as far as the Marshals is concerned, there shouldn't be a problem

I suppose to an extent that's true, but I'm still not in favor much to the idea. Perhaps it's due to the odd nature of the idea.

In the defense of DDOT they did manage to secure funding for the Rosa Parks transit center, as well as the leasing of D40LF's from New Flyer Industries, and the most recent purchase of BRT Plus buses from Gillig Limited Liability Corporation.

Those were capital projects, which im sure they got funding from State and Federal goverments for some of the cost of the projects

Those were capital projects, which im sure they got funding from State and Federal goverments for some of the cost of the projects

Likewise here funding of sorts would likely come into play, as I assume DDOT wouldn't be willing to foot the whole bill.

I suppose we'll just have to stand back for a moment and watch how this is implemented.

Likewise here funding of sorts would likely come into play, as I assume DDOT wouldn't be willing to foot the whole bill.

I suppose we'll just have to stand back for a moment and watch how this is implemented.

Since Detroit has been getting federal funding for policing, wonder if DDOT is getting a grant for this?

Archived