Can you buy a monthly ticket 'via Jamaica'?

Akira

I know the option is there to buy a ticket 'via Jamaica' or 'via Woodside' for single or round trip, but are these tickets available for monthlies as well? For example, if I wanted to go from Patchogue to Freeport to get there by 8:00 am, I can leave at either 5:36 or 6:01. If I wanted to take the 6:01, it skips Babylon so I'd have to go to Jamaica and take a Babylon train from there, but it runs express from Jamaica to Freeport.

If I took that 6:01 train, what kind of monthly would I have to be holding? It can't be a ticket from Patchogue to Freeport I know that, but does it have to be a Patchogue to Jamaica ticket, or would there be an option for Patchogue to Freeport via Jamaica and if so, how much would it be?

Commutation tickets are good for unlimited travel in any direction on any train between the zones printed on that ticket.  For that reason, there is no such thing as a "via Jamaica" monthly, you just need to buy a monthly for the longest segment of your trip.  A Jamaica to Patchogue monthly will allow for travel between Jamaica and either Patchogue, Medford, or Port Jefferson (as well as all of the Oyster Bay, Hemsptead, West Hempstead, Far Rockaway, and Long Beach Branches).  Since Freeport is included in what I just said, then you're good to go without needing an additional ticket.

A monthly from Patchouge to Jamaica (valid for travel to Freeport) would cost $299

A monthly from Patchogue to Freeport (direct via Babylon) would cost $149 (almost half as expensive)

I would recommend going for train 2733 (leaves Patchogue at 5:36am).  If you are going to someplace close to the station in Freeport and can arrange to be a minute or two late, you can take train 2737 (leaves Patchogue at 6:51am) and transfer in Babylon to get you to Freeport by 7:59am.

That's good to know, for some reason it hadn't clicked to me that buying a ticket from Patchogue to Jamaica would also effectively pay for rides within any of those zones.

The only thing I'm worried about are ticket punchers that may try to give me a hard time. Say I boarded a train in Ronkonkoma and I'm going to Hicksville. technically I could still show my Patchogue-Jamaica pass and be fine because it's all within the fare zones I've paid for, but could I get a hard time anyway?

The only thing that matters is the zones.  I have a Montauk to Long Island City monthly ticket ad I use it all the time on trains all over the railroad and I never get any trouble for it (I'll get some strange looks and joking remarks, but no issues at all).

I hate how there are only limited station pairs you can buy ten-trips to, though. Apparently you can't get ten-trips to Jamaica from some stations.

You can only get 10-trip tickets to or from zone 1 stations only.  You can't get ten-trips to Jamaica from any station east of there.  Off-peak fares only exist to/from zones 1 and 3 anyways, so if you were to get a zone 4 to 7 ten-trip ticket, you wouldn't get the 15% discount since you can only get peak tickets for intra-island travel (and peak ten-trips are just convince tickets sold at the price of 10 one-ways.)

You can only get 10-trip tickets to or from zone 1 stations only.  You can't get ten-trips to Jamaica from any station east of there.  Off-peak fares only exist to/from zones 1 and 3 anyways, so if you were to get a zone 4 to 7 ten-trip ticket, you wouldn't get the 15% discount since you can only get peak tickets for intra-island travel (and peak ten-trips are just convince tickets sold at the price of 10 one-ways.)

It'd just be nice to have a Zone 3 ten-trip, since there are a fair amount of people getting on/off at Jamaica on the off-peak.

Archived