de Blasio promises rapid bus system, hires new DOT commissioner

Via Garibaldi 8

I honestly think that if the 4th Av tunnel had been built as proposed, Staten Island would be a lot nicer. However, I also think that whatever was in the realm of possibility prior to 1929 is certainly not in the realm of possibility today, given that many more Staten Islanders want to preserve their 'way of life'. It just wouldn't have the same impact (and back then, more people were willing to sacrifice speed; by the time the subway system declined, St. George and Bay Ridge would be bigger 'transit anchors').

I have issues with people proposing a bridge across the Narrows (because that is never, ever happening; that wouldn't have happened even if the 1929 plans were enacted, simply because the overwhelming majority of the city has an entirely justifiable suspicion of els, not to mention the harbor clearances and the steep grades required to reach that height). I have an even bigger issue with someone proposing to do it with the Triboro RX, where no preexisting right of way exists and all current proposals have the train curving northwards to meet at 59th St (N)(R).

In the grand scheme of things, a tunnel to Staten Island would be "nice to have". It's not a priority. We should extend the subway in heavily congested sections of the outer boroughs, to shorten commute times for a greater amount of people; Staten Island has less than half the population of every other borough.

You do bring up good points. Indeed. I will respond in more depth soon.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived