NYCT Preserved Subway Equipment - Work in Progress

M. Friday 1986

For anyone who hasn't checked it out yet, I've been attempting to compile a list of all known New York City Subway cars into one database. Check out the link below:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aj-Jzxddn3v0dC1vaTZ4aEY0U0l2UjZGLUl5RWpUSGc&usp=sharing#gid=0

This is a project I've been working on since last December. The purpose behind this is to compile a list of all known preserved equipment that have operated on NYCT property into a single, clear database that is as complete in terms of information as possible, in the most accessible form possible. By accessible, I mean something where everyone, not just railfans, can follow, read up, and most importantly, learn from.

So far, I've uploaded this list onto Google Docs in Excel format, which unfortunately, limits a pretty significant amount of the information I want to put up (due to spaces allowed per column). I am interested in ultimately creating a database of some form that includes photos and other things related to the preserved equipment. If anyone can direct me to something, it will be greatly appreciated.

On the other hand, the list itself isn't finished yet; there's still some information that's still missing and needed (like rebuild dates, for example). A number of you guys online have been very helpful with tons of input and needed additional info here and there and I truly appreciate it. Special thanks to you guys!

Current version: 1.4.0, January 6, 2014
Special thanks to everyone at nycsubway.org, nyctforums.com, subchat.com (including all current and retired NYCT employees for sharing any form of information with us and for their input on various ranges of topics), Ray Jules (information on the BMT B-Types and additional input), and Kevin Wong of R36 Preservation (for rebuilding notes and other notes). If I missed anyone, please make yourselves known! Anything else that should be added, please let me know! Thanks again. All kinds of help's very appreciated.

-MF '86.
<4>

I'm not a NYC Transit employee, however I do have some comments:

First, the Low-Vs (5290, 5292, etc.) are usually stored at the 239th Street Yard (off of the (2) line).

Second, I would not say that the R36ML 9542 and 9543 are at the NY Transit Museum. The only reason why there were there is because they needed the other trains on the road. Last I heard, I thought they were being used for the garbage train.

Next, not to criticize you, however did they finally move the R17 6609 to 207th Street? I know that car has had problems....

Fourth, the R10s, 3184 & 3189 are still at the Museum? I thought they were put back in Pitkin. Keep in mind that there is only limited room...

Fifth, the R32s (3351 & 3352), in addition to the R42s (4572 & 4573) are all at the Museum? I don't know how much time you have to update the roster. My suggestion: Make a notation next to these cars (like a ** or a ^^ symbol) and put as a note that when 100, 484 and 1575 are removed from the museum, a pair of these cars will take their temporary place.

Sixth, the museum has both Steeplecabs 5 and 6? Again, there is limited room...

Next, 9156 & 9157 were scrapped? According to http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/The_IRT_SMEE_Fleet_(R-12_--_R-36), they are at Floyd Bennett Field.

Overall, great job!!!!

I'm not a NYC Transit employee, however I do have some comments:

First, the Low-Vs (5290, 5292, etc.) are usually stored at the 239th Street Yard (off of the (2) line).

That's one I wasn't sure about. I'll take a note on that one.

Second, I would not say that the R36ML 9542 and 9543 are at the NY Transit Museum. The only reason why there were there is because they needed the other trains on the road. Last I heard, I thought they were being used for the garbage train.

Garbage train? Last I heard, those were outside the Transit Museum in the storage tunnel with other equipment. Not sure if preserved equipment would make their rounds on trash duty though.

Next, not to criticize you, however did they finally move the R17 6609 to 207th Street? I know that car has had problems....

Not a criticism at all, lol. The info I've been finding regarding that car's whereabouts isn't 100% clear. Either it's in the storage tunnel outside the museum, or being repaired at 207. Either way, I'm waiting until I get confirmation on where 6609 is and I'll update accordingly.

Fourth, the R10s, 3184 & 3189 are still at the Museum? I thought they were put back in Pitkin. Keep in mind that there is only limited room...

Not in the museum itself, but rather, in the tunnel just outside the museum. In storage. I kind of counted the tunnels as part of the museum property, since they haven't per se left the property. I should make a note of this, though. Although the space In the document I have is limited. I'm trying to find ways to put all the info in there and update accordingly.

Fifth, the R32s (3351 & 3352), in addition to the R42s (4572 & 4573) are all at the Museum? I don't know how much time you have to update the roster. My suggestion: Make a notation next to these cars (like a ** or a ^^ symbol) and put as a note that when 100, 484 and 1575 are removed from the museum, a pair of these cars will take their temporary place.

I'll take note of that. Though, 100, 484, and 1575 are still actually sitting at 207th Street Yard as of just this afternoon when i drove up the Major Deegan Expressway to work (the whole Arnine train was parked next to the shops). So it would be safe to assume 4572-73 are still at the museum for now. As for 3352-53, they're also at the tunnels outside the museum in storage.

Sixth, the museum has both Steeplecabs 5 and 6? Again, there is limited room...

Steeplecab 5 is in the museum, yes. Steeplecab 6, in the tunnels in storage.

Next, 9156 & 9157 were scrapped? According to http://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/The_IRT_SMEE_Fleet_(R-12_--_R-36), they are at Floyd Bennett Field.

The "scrapped" status should be changed, which I will do immediately. They've been replaced by R110B car 3001. The Redbird pair itself was removed back a month or two ago by flatbed truck. It was assumed then that they were scrapped, though today it was reported that they might actually be in Linden Yard. I'm waiting for confirmation on that one too.

Overall, great job!!!!

All replies in blue. Thanks so much! Will update accordingly.

The redbirds that were at Floyd Bennett field are at the Linden Shops, paired to each other. Seen it yesterday, I live a block away from the shops anyway

Awesome, thanks for the confirmation. My guess is that they'll be heading to 207 soon.

you misslabled R32 #3352 as a second listing of 3351 and misslabled #3353  as #3352.

Good eye, bro. Thanks, already fix'd.

Archived