Why does Google not show LIRR or MNRR Lines...

BrooklynIRT

...in its transit overlay feature on its maps? It would make it so much easier to visualize LIRR and MNRR trips on Google maps. Google shows the Chicago area's commuter rail service, Metra, on its maps, and Metra's service area seems to be similar in size to LIRR's and MNRR's.

...in its transit overlay feature on its maps? It would make it so much easier to visualize LIRR and MNRR trips on Google maps. Google shows the Chicago area's commuter rail service, Metra, on its maps, and Metra's service area seems to be similar in size to LIRR's and MNRR's.

This would be the LIRR's ballpark. Google Earth, however, does display aboveground rail lines.

I think Google Street View only has cars, snowbills or bike or by foot but when I checked google search engines and I found out how rail gets street view.

How Google Street View Rides The Rails | Gizmodo Australia

Even ferry

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/google-offers-stay-at-home-adventurers-street-view-images-of-the-amazon/

Maybe MTA, NJT and PANY&NJ didn't give permit for google street view due to potential threats from 9.11 or WTC Bombing or WTC Fire.

Metropolitan Museum of Art/Cloisters gave permission for Google street view to record indoor museum.

I also agreed it will encourage more people to visit rural areas.

Speaking off this, I found this from Google's youtube channel.

It felt I was riding that train from Google Street view recording the beautiful Swiss Alps and it makes me want to go there.

If you search for a trip from point A to B Google will show you the exact path that you will be taking on the train (more or less).  It sometimes mixes up the routing of trains that can go via either the Atlantic/Montauk or Montauk/Central branches.  There is no dedicated overlay like there is for transit, but Google does know where all the tracks are.

Archived