Two Questions about the Flushing line

Hey All,

Took a vacation from the forums, but it's great to be back! Since I'm developing the Flushing line for a Train sim game, I've spent countless weeks pouring over maps and signal plans and stuff and I had two distinct questions that have been bugging me. Perhaps I can get some answers:

Firstly, will the extension to the Javits center retain the "C-A" line station that exists at the western end of Times Square, much like the "QW" that came from the (L) moving its terminal from 6 Av to 8 Av? 

Secondly: This is related to the first question somewhat--what is up with the stationing @ Times Square?  The 0+00 point of line C occurs smack-dab in the middle of the platform. Rolling into TSQ on Track 1, you have an ST with "22-C", then the next signal is another "ST" with "A12-C". Why put the zero point in the middle of the station and not the very end (beginning) of the tail tracks that hit the IND's 8 Av wall?

Thanks again for dealing with my minute-detail questions!

TSQplan.png

-A  :ph34r:

Hey All,

Took a vacation from the forums, but it's great to be back! Since I'm developing the Flushing line for a Train sim game, I've spent countless weeks pouring over maps and signal plans and stuff and I had two distinct questions that have been bugging me. Perhaps I can get some answers:

Firstly, will the extension to the Javits center retain the "C-A" line station that exists at the western end of Times Square, much like the "QW" that came from the (L) moving its terminal from 6 Av to 8 Av?

Secondly: This is related to the first question somewhat--what is up with the stationing @ Times Square? The 0+00 point of line C occurs smack-dab in the middle of the platform. Rolling into TSQ on Track 1, you have an ST with "22-C", then the next signal is another "ST" with "A12-C". Why put the zero point in the middle of the station and not the very end (beginning) of the tail tracks that hit the IND's 8 Av wall?

Thanks again for dealing with my minute-detail questions!

TSQplan.png

-A :ph34r:

Welcome back! Your response to the first question is that no, there is no connection to the (A)(C)(E) which is a 2 or so mile from the TQ and Penn Station, but there is connection to +SBS+

My understanding is that the IRT did have plans to extend the Flushing line past Times Square (pre MTA). The IND circumvented this original IRT plan by building the useless lower level of the 42nd St station on their end on the 8th Avenue line to prevent the IRT expansion under August Belmont. Of course that was later reversed by the MTA when they severed the station to make way for the (7) extension decades later. 

So the IRT nor the IND had any plans to connect one line to the other as far as I know. This may be the evidence right here.

@Realzim: Thanks. I knew they didn't really want a cross-division transfer with all of the politics going around at the time. I'm still confused as to why the chaining begins at such an awkward place. I thought about it this morning and came up with a theory: Did this perhaps have to do with all of the station lengthening when they went from 5 to 10 cars? There's only 200 feet from the zero to the end of the platform on the eastern end---maybe this is why?

@Fresh: I think that re-chaining with the zero @ Main St would be a better option because there have been no active plans for decades to extend the line past Main St, whereas it's more than likely within the next decade or so that the Chelsea Piers district will be getting some sort of extension, evidenced by the tailtracks south of Javits going on to about 25 St.

Thanks for the help guys!

-A  :ph34r:

@Realzim: Thanks. I knew they didn't really want a cross-division transfer with all of the politics going around at the time. I'm still confused as to why the chaining begins at such an awkward place. I thought about it this morning and came up with a theory: Did this perhaps have to do with all of the station lengthening when they went from 5 to 10 cars? There's only 200 feet from the zero to the end of the platform on the eastern end---maybe this is why?

I think part of the reason has to do with the fact that the tail tracks beyond the station was previously unused for operations, pre extension. Which could be part of the reason why the chaining sequence begins at the middle of the station. Beyond that as to why the chaining sequence is as such from my layman knowledge I honestly do not know, transit personnel from RTO or Signals Dept may be better fitted to answer the question. Thats a tough one.

Archived