Post-recession poverty in Queens increases more than any other borough, new data shows

Harry

Yes that is true but at the same time whats happening is that the amount of foreclosed homes in general has risen. The real estate firms and banks collect up the foreclosed homes and raise the bar to gain a bigger profit. Which in turn prompts landlords to raise the bar on rent. Its a vicious cycle.

Good move. I think what's advisable for renters on their end is to do the same thing: Build up a nest egg to secure their rent. Save up their monthly rent ahead of time, by every 2-3 months. It worked for me.

Well thats a personal decision for you to ultimately make. If say I was in your shoes and I am comfortable where you are at, and are paying lower rates now, in my opinion I would stay there, and invest in other large purchases instead (say a good car and so forth). But hey the skies the limit and you call the shots in your life I see no wrong in it.

lol... I think it's foolish to invest in a car which will depreciate immediately as soon as you drive off with in it.  Real estate especially in New York will hold firm.  I'm particularly interested in a condo here because there is a ton of co-ops here so with there being so few condos and the ones that exist being luxury condos, I know that they'll hold their value nicely, especially doorman buildings here near the Parkway (east or west is irrelevant since west of the Parkway offers great views of Manhattan and Hudson River, and east of the Parkway has tons of amenities (café's, restaurants, Starbucks, etc.), as this one is.  Central Riverdale is experiencing a building boom at the moment (mainly luxury buildings) and outside of the estate area and west of the Parkway is quickly becoming the priciest part of Riverdale. It's rather disgusting when you see condos on a busy thoroughfare like Riverdale Avenue where the asking price is almost 1 million dollars.

lol... I think it's foolish to invest in a car which will depreciate immediately as soon as you drive off with in it.

Well I wouldn't mind having a good working car again as finances opens up for me. Just a matter of preferences here. As the saying goes one better enjoy what they work for. Thats how I would do it. Only because I want to. But thats another story.

There are apartment buildings as you get closer and closer to Northern Blvd around here, but I think they're owned, not rented like you suggested. I think the co-ops in the section of Douglaston by Douglaston Plaza are owned as well, not rented, but I'm not sure.

Yeah that's probably the case... Here anything that is for rent and is relatively new is being listed as luxury rentals.  They just completed a building a few blocks from me... I believe one bedrooms are starting at $2,000.00 and up, as I believe it's a doorman building.  Can't seem to find any listed, but I'm sure some were advertised when I walked by recently.  All I see is three bedrooms for $4,800.00 a month and up.  The other way that you may get rentals there is co-op owners renting, which happens here in Riverdale, but it's a very stringent review process.  I have to admit that the prices are rather shocking because the prices here were down just a few years ago with the poor economy, but they're picking up quickly.  There's another building going up west of the parkway that I'm sure will be more luxury apartments, either co-ops or condos.  Riverdale has a lot of senior homes which make the income levels here look lower than what they are, but I expect this area to continue to become more expensive as more young Manhattanite families move here for more space.

Archived