Taking a break

shaqattack11

Hello, i am a 21 year old transit electrical helper about to finish my one year probation and would like to take a break from transit to finish my degree which might take up to a year and a half. Does anyone know how I go about getting this done?

You may be able to take a leave of absence, but it will be unpaid and I think you're seniority will freeze. If any thing, just go to school part time. i don't think its worth possibly giving up one job to "maybe" get another or just have a degree.

Well i will need to take off from work for at least one semester because some classes are only offeres during the morning and i work mornings. No shifts at night. So is it possible they can reject my request for a leave of absence? Also will i still get to keep the same place i go to work every day or will i lose my spot? Any help is appreciated.

The one rule I remember about taking unpaid leaves of absences is that it can't be for longer than the time you've had on the job. If you wanted a year and a half, you must have already worked here for at least a year and a half. I believe the MAXIMUM allowed is 2 years, and if it's for more than a year then you lose your seniority.

It is possible. I work with a someone who takes a PB(leave of absence)for three months every year. If you're out of service for any reason(except maybe for military deployment)for more than a year they have the right(not that they will)to terminate you. Yes, they can deny you a leave of absence. If granted you would keep your spot and seniority. Forget your union rep, she sounds either incompetent or apathetic. Talk to your dept's union chair. Go on the TWU local 100 website for phone numbers. The person you really need to be talking to is your Supt. They're the ones who make these decisions.

Archived