Tripping question

B3 Via Av U

I mean, getting tripped by a signal is generally a fairly big deal - as it means either a signal is malfunctioning badly or the operator made a pretty serious error. 

When the emergency brakes are activated, the train is said to "Go BIE" (Brakes in Emergency). The crew generally has to investigate why (unless it was the T/O or the C/R who activated them). If the trip-cock was hit by a stop arm there would be a "strike mark" on both the tripcock and the arm. The Arms are painted yellow both to increase visibility and to leave the distinctive mark if hit. Sometimes something other than a stop arm (debris or whathaveyou) hits the trip cock and that's what trips the train. 

Also on anything older than an R142 a passenger could have pulled the emergency cord, and the crew will have to investigate where the cord was pulled. On newer cars, the emergency brake only works for a short time after the train starts (as it's really only needed inside stations if someone is getting dragged), and if activated the computerized system shows the crew exactly where if I'm not mistaken. 

But, long story short, the crew has to reset the emergency brake and recharge the air - but they first have to investigate why the brakes tripped and communicate with rail control what's going on, and generally can only proceed after authorized by control. 

(This is based on things I've seen, read here, and heard on the radio. An RTO employee will know better than me so if I have anything wrong, please defer to them.)

From a purely mechanical standpoint, if a train was tripped (by a stop arm or debris), investigation aside, in order to reset the system, you would move the brake handle (or combined handle) into the emergency position (perhaps hold it there for a few seconds) and then back into the service range to recharge the system. That is the most common sense answer to your question. Whether this is actually the case will have to be confirmed by someone with more official knowledge.

If you're talking about a train going into emergency thru an activation of the trip cock, the trip cock resets automatically and after a delay of about 17 seconds, the operator can recharge the brakes by placing the brake handle or master controller (depending on the type of equipment) into the full service position. 

On the older museum equipment, it requires a hand re-set (been tripped on Low-V nostalgia trips about a half dozen times). Crew had to climb down and physically close the valve.

Actually, my second ever museum ride ( I was about 5 or 6) the train got tripped approaching the portal outside Grant Ave because some dope let his tree grow too far over the signal and the train ran it.

Archived