How will the 2nd Avenue extension affect Q service to Astoria?

Xfer2Nowhere

I'm not advocating Javier's plan, but in his defense of this particular point, there used to be both orange and yellow (D) trains and yellow and brown <R> trains. It's not unprecedented.

That was YEARS Ago. 1980s. The reason why in 2001 they didn't do that was to avoid confusion because from what I heard it actually was an issue 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The (B) doesn't need to be a 24/7 line because Brighton Line express service is not needed during late nights or weekends.

And 2nd Ave is more likely to warrant a supplemental service on weekdays, not nights and weekends.

The idea of a supplemental line on weekends is to do it when the (Q) is not running as often AND it doesn't interfere with the (F) nearly as much as it would on weekdays   The UES is unique in that case and in this case, the two lines essentially serve the same part of the West side (albeit a block apart) until the Broadway Line comes to the East side south of 23rd.   That's what I was looking at to keep service at higher levels nights and weekends on the actual SAS portion of the line.

Apparently when I say the services should be kept as simple as possible, that translates into alternating the Q between Broadway and 6th Ave, sending the B of all lines to 96 St (mind you, now it needs a southern terminal because there isn't enough push for Brighton express service off-hours), or run an off-hours shuttle between 96 St and 57 St-7 Av. Yeah, I think this thread has run its course. Really, it did so on page 1, but a general curiosity to see whether you'd simply let this thread die had me leave this open. I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

In closing, I'll leave you with this bit of advice: when coming up with a new service idea, 1) consider its usability and 2) think about how such a route would be explained to the masses.

Archived