Bus Operator From Another Transit Agency

giedosst

Hello!

I am a Bus Operator out in Portland Oregon with Trimet looking to start tho process to get in line for the possibility to drive for MTA. I have a class B Oregon CDL with my air brakes and passenger endorsements, a spotless record and a year with Trimet both as a bus operator and recently as a line trainer. Other than wait for the exam to open, can anybody give me more information on what I may need to be considered? Is there anything else I need or should know about the hiring process other than it takes a long time?

Thanks!

Other than wait for the exam to open, can anybody give me more information on what I may need to be considered? Is there anything else I need or should know about the hiring process other than it takes a long time?

Welcome to NYCTF!  :) 

There are three divisions of the MTA that hire bus operators; MTA Bus Co., MaBSTOA and New York City Transit. All three take the BOSS exam and NYCT takes a written exam. Keep this in mind when applying.

You summed everything in your post. It's pretty much a waiting game after taking the exam(s) as everyone awaits for the list to be established and made public which can go past one year. Then there is a drug test, in some cases multiple drug tests as they expire 90 days followed by medical. The MTA requires a very detailed work history and background of any motor vehicle or criminal matters. It is best to report when called for appointments and to be thorough in your responses to the background inquiry.

When training you are expected to drive how the MTA wants.

That's it pretty much.

Welcome to NYCTF!  :) 

There are three divisions of the MTA that hire bus operators; MTA Bus Co., MaBSTOA and New York City Transit. All three take the BOSS exam and NYCT takes a written exam. Keep this in mind when applying.

You summed everything in your post. It's pretty much a waiting game after taking the exam(s) as everyone awaits for the list to be established and made public which can go past one year. Then there is a drug test, in some cases multiple drug tests as they expire 90 days followed by medical. The MTA requires a very detailed work history and background of any motor vehicle or criminal matters. It is best to report when called for appointments and to be thorough in your responses to the background inquiry.

When training you are expected to drive how the MTA wants.

That's it pretty much.

Thank you!

If MTA is anything like Trimet, nobody knows anything till the last second and it seems from looking at the posts, knowing when the next test will be is anybody's guess but I was wondering if anybody had a good educated calculation as to when that might be, also are there any other time requirements that are not posted for the job, i.e having to have a CDL for so many years or needed experience?

Thanks again!

Welcome to the forums!

What 161passenger summed up was pretty much the gist of it, but if you want more information from those who work within the system, hit up this section, as bus ops and other fellow employees may be able to assist you with any of your concerns

As for the next round of tests, it may be a few months/years. The recent tests were sometime last fall if I remember correctly.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/forum/19-transit-employment-topics-and-discussions/

I didn't want to make a thread for this, so I'll ask here: what are the rules regarding getting a CDL in another state and becoming a driver here - do you have to go through the entire thing (paper and road test + endorsements) or can you just go to the DMV and fill the paperwork out?

I didn't want to make a thread for this, so I'll ask here: what are the rules regarding getting a CDL in another state and becoming a driver here - do you have to go through the entire thing (paper and road test + endorsements) or can you just go to the DMV and fill the paperwork out?

Good Question!

Assuming you already possess a CDL you don't have to change it over unless you are moving there permanently. If you do you simply pay the license fee with usual 6 points of proof. If you don't have a CDL then you have to change over your current D license to whichever state your moving to then it's like you say knowledge test, permit, road test, license. If your getting on with a job that'll train you MTA, jersey transit then you can stop at the permit part if you want they'll provide the training and the bus. You'll just be responsible for license fee.

Archived