In case anyone Cares

Lennyj17

When fares go up, I've always been more interested in how much do I need to put on at one time to gain exact free rides via the Bonus. So for anyone too busy to do the math here you are... Nice the MTA made the new bonus correspond with even 25$ increments for gaining whole free rides.

• 100$ = 4 Free Rides
  • 75$ = 3 Free Rides
  • 50$ = 2 Free Rides
  • 25$ = 1 Free Ride

Is it true that you are able to claim MetroCard as a tax deduction?

i dont think you can claim transportation costs on your tax return. best thing to do is get some kind of payroll deduction like transitcheck

If you are an independent consultant and/or have your own business, it is possible that you can deduct transportation expenses.  I am an indepenent consultant on the side in addition to my full-time job, and thus have to spend money to commute from location to location. I keep all receipts for any expenses I incur that I can write off, and then report those expenses to my accountant when I do my taxes.  If you do Transitchek then you would get a tax break by way of having the transportation expenses taken out of your check before taxes, which makes your gross look smaller, thus meaning less taxes will be taken out.  I don't believe you can do both though, so if you consult full-time or part-time privately, I would just report those expenses when you file.  It will be counted towards your earnings which will reduce how much taxes you have to pay when you file.

Transitchek is usually a good option if you work for an employer.  They would have to enroll into the program and pay for any expenses associated with it.  If you're an independent consultant or have your own business, you may have to incur an expense to be part of that program and thus it may be cheaper to just write off those expenses against what you earn.

Archived