What about these articulateds?

DOB2RTO

Sometime last year the MTA borrowed one of AC Transit (California) articulated for a look at. Van-Hool is trying to sell their Articulated AG300 model to NYC. It is different than the current arctics. It is a pulley type, not a pusher. That means unlike the current arctics that NYC, NJT, and Bee-line has, the middle wheels propels the bus, and the engine is under the floor, in the front. Also the rear wheels actually turn, so these arctics can make tighter turns, than a pusher type. The current buses are pusher, in which they have a rear mounted engine, and the rear wheels drive the bus. Here are the buses. I would like to thank AC Transit, for the pics.

http://www.actransit.org/aboutac/vanhoolmain.wu

Here is a link from a bus manufacturer of the difference of the two buses.

http://www.nabiusa.com/resource_page.cfm?res_id=11

I would love NYC to get these, with the 3 doors. They would be great for BRT. Wonder what their decision was on this demo.

Oh, and yes the old NJT Vovlo's, and the old Bee-line MAN, were pulley types, with turnable rear wheels.

That's a nice bus. I especially like the single windshield. That should give the operators a great view. Where are these buses going to be run at?

Nowhere in NYCTA yet. They tested one borrowed from AC Transit, at the Zerega Training Facility. I hope this is the low-floor they are getting, since they are getting some for the Bus Rapid Transit. The one AC Transit have, has 4 doors. The MTA could get it in 3 door.

When I was training to be a shifter, myself and the Superintendent who was training me was talking about that bus. We both agreed that this would be a perfect bus for NYCTA. The types they have now (pusher), are no good in the winter. A driver has no control over the drive wheels which are in the rear, so they cannot control where the rear goes in snow and ice. On these Van-hools, a driver does have control since the drive wheel is on the front section (axle :rolleyes:. So the end is like a small trailer.

If you haven't, read the NABI link. It tells the difference, and shows how they drive different.

Archived