LIRR Engineer Open House general question.

Webraider1972

I'm currently a Train Operator for NYC Transit.  I've been invited to LIRR open house for Engineers on Thursday.  i know it's more money, and I'm aware of the training.  The thing is I'm very happy working for Transit.  I quite honestly didn't think they'd call me for LIRR RailRoad.  I plan on going to the open house but if there's anyone out there who's worked for Transit before who is now with LIRR, is it really worth it?  It's risky in this economy to let go of a secure job for one that's not as secure.  I would have to do this at some point during the training etc..Also.. on the decertification every two years, there's always the chance you won't pass this test.  I know that going to the open house doesn't mean I'm in but just in case this goes further, any suggestions?  Thanks for any help you can give!

I'm currently a Train Operator for NYC Transit. I've been invited to LIRR open house for Engineers on Thursday. i know it's more money, and I'm aware of the training. The thing is I'm very happy working for Transit. I quite honestly didn't think they'd call me for LIRR RailRoad. I plan on going to the open house but if there's anyone out there who's worked for Transit before who is now with LIRR, is it really worth it? It's risky in this economy to let go of a secure job for one that's not as secure. I would have to do this at some point during the training etc..Also.. on the decertification every two years, there's always the chance you won't pass this test. I know that going to the open house doesn't mean I'm in but just in case this goes further, any suggestions? Thanks for any help you can give!

I think it all depends on you and your study habits . Plus how much you really want it. Locomotive Engineer training is long and very hard. Torture is putting it nicely. If your secure where you and don't want to put in the work then stay. Engineer program is the hardest program in the country. And thats a fact. Again it all depends on how much you want it. But Engineers make decent money ,not like they use to since HOS went into effect . But they get two pensions which is nice.

Note I didn't come from Transit but I just want to give you some insight .

It is a long process indeed that's not guaranteed. I've been doing the process since I got the invite in December. Passed all the testing, did the interviews, overview and testing and final interview before phase 1. I'm just waiting for that phone call. It's like the lottery. You never know. It is a nerve wrecking feeling not knowing if you made to the next part. But here I am farther then most have been. the good thing right now is that from 17 that took the test 5 were called for panel interviews. And we haven't heard anything yet. So that a good sign. If you have great study habits and determined to have a career with the LIRR then go for it. You already have a general idea on how to operate a train and have been through some type of process. That shows that you can handle the material. That's my opinion. But in my end. I'm anxious to start already. August can't come soon enough.

It is a long process indeed that's not guaranteed. I've been doing the process since I got the invite in December. Passed all the testing, did the interviews, overview and testing and final interview before phase 1. I'm just waiting for that phone call. It's like the lottery. You never know. It is a nerve wrecking feeling not knowing if you made to the next part. But here I am farther then most have been. the good thing right now is that from 17 that took the test 5 were called for panel interviews. And we haven't heard anything yet. So that a good sign. If you have great study habits and determined to have a career with the LIRR then go for it. You already have a general idea on how to operate a train and have been through some type of process. That shows that you can handle the material. That's my opinion. But in my end. I'm anxious to start already. August can't come soon enough.

engine service is no joke. plan on not having a ife for a year or so. they are more strict and a passing grade will not cut it. you don't gett he job until they hand you your green certification card. GOOD LUCK!

engine service is no joke. plan on not having a ife for a year or so. they are more strict and a passing grade will not cut it. you don't gett he job until they hand you your green certification card. GOOD LUCK!

I can imagine. I just got the call Friday to show up for a medical/PAS on Wednesday before August class. I have no life now since I work nights. I see my kids a few hours before work and a few hours before they go to school. Same with the wife. Lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived