Bronx Borough Prez Calls for New Rail Yard Development Near Lehman College

MysteriousBtrain

Classic VG8 right here. Key Messages to take away: 

1. Keep poor people away from me!
  2. Rent in NYC is reasonable, people should just make more money!
  3. [various classist statements laced with racial undertones]

Seriously though "Mixed Income" housing is not a Homeless Shelter, nor is it a housing project. There is *plenty* of luxury housing in the city, and nothing about this will ruin the character of your community - nor is the proposed even IN your community. Go ahead, protest this, waste your money on lawyers, but there are thousands of bigger problems in the city than the sordid middle class encroaching into riverdale...

Carry on. 

Yeah tell that to areas that are fighting shelters.  Pelham Bay has certainly seen better days, and Glendale out in Queens which is a nice solid middle class community was up in arms about a shelter.  I guess these communities should just suck it up.  After all I don't think Astoria will be seeing any new shelters or affordable housing anytime soon since you guys have projects in one rather isolated area of the neighborhood.

Excuse me, but live here, and I know what is being proposed and what isn't. Díaz made it very clear that he thought affordable housing could and should be built here in Riverdale, and as far as I know, his stance hasn't changed.  He's only said that at the moment, building between Kingsbridge and Riverdale by West 240th street isn't feasible.  Had we not fought these outlandish sorts of proposals, we would've already had "affordable" housing here along Broadway years ago. Two sites along Broadway have been quashed, as the buildings were out of character with our community and we stood up and forced the developers to back out accordingly.  I'd like to thank my fellow Riverdalians and elected officials for standing up and doing what is right and not destroying this great neighborhood.

Before you look to throw stones, you should focus on your area where the politicians seem to be useless. They can't even get decent subway service to run up there. lol

Classic VG8 right here. Key Messages to take away: 

1. Keep poor people away from me!
  2. Rent in NYC is reasonable, people should just make more money!
  3. [various classist statements laced with racial undertones]

Seriously though "Mixed Income" housing is not a Homeless Shelter, nor is it a housing project. There is *plenty* of luxury housing in the city, and nothing about this will ruin the character of your community - nor is the proposed even IN your community. Go ahead, protest this, waste your money on lawyers, but there are thousands of bigger problems in the city than the sordid middle class encroaching into riverdale...

Carry on. 

Over evaluation of one's self is the most dangerous thing a person can do in this day and age. Specially amongst the competitive and expanding talent pool in this Country. VG8 hasn't had anyone check him yet. He's still in this honeymoon stage he can deny it all he wants but to someone he is the lower class specially in New York. You have to stay humble and hungry. Hope he's taking notes. 

Over evaluation of one's self is the most dangerous thing a person can do in this day and age. Specially amongst the competitive and expanding talent pool in this Country. VG8 hasn't had anyone check him yet. He's still in this honeymoon stage he can deny it all he wants but to someone he is the lower class specially in New York. You have to stay humble and hungry. Hope he's taking notes. 

lol... Very funny...

Elaborate? I'm confused why is it funny? Or are you just not able to put something together? Which is okay as well.. just saying nothing would probably be best in that case.

It's funny because you don't know me at all to make such conclusions.  I came from a middle class family so I know about hard work.  You would be best to keep your mouth shut instead of speaking about things that you know nothing about.  I'm entitled to be cocky because I've worked for everything that I have and still work my @ss off every day.

It's funny because you don't know me at all to make such conclusions.  I came from a middle class family so I know about hard work.  You would be best to keep your mouth shut instead of speaking about things that you know nothing about.  I'm entitled to be cocky because I've worked for everything that I have and still work my @ss off every day.

All my conclusions are based on your comments and actions..off data so to speak.. Isn't that what im supposed to make conclusions off of? Not race or class but character and actions?Correct me if im wrong? I also come from a middle class family learnt the value of hardwork. Ive worked for everything I have and so has so many other people here as well and no one else is cocky? So your entitled to what? You haven't done anything? Why do you feel you're entitled? If what's the case aren't we all entitled? Aren't you biologically the same as everyone else.  Maybe im missing something? Pls let me know.

-thx

All my conclusions are based on your comments and actions..off data so to speak.. Isn't that what im supposed to make conclusions off of? Not race or class but character and actions?Correct me if im wrong? I also come from a middle class family learnt the value of hardwork. Ive worked for everything I have and so has so many other people here as well and no one else is cocky? So your entitled to what? You haven't done anything? Why do you feel you're entitled? If what's the case aren't we all entitled? Aren't you biologically the same as everyone else.  Maybe im missing something? Pls let me know.

-thx

Yes you are missing something.  If you want to be humble then good for you, but you can't dictate how others should act. It's not as if you're giving me anything so live and let live.  You don't pay anything for me, so you really have no business telling me how I should live my life.  

Oh, I'm so humble, yet you sit here and try to lecture me about how "poor" I am, and how everyone else is doing so much better than me (living with their roommates I may add lol) like I'm an idiot or something.  What a joke.  Just worry about yourself. I'll be fine.  I've been just fine all of these years.  You couldn't last a second walking down the road I've taken in life.

Yeah tell that to areas that are fighting shelters.  Pelham Bay has certainly seen better days, and Glendale out in Queens which is a nice solid middle class community was up in arms about a shelter.  I guess these communities should just suck it up.  After all I don't think Astoria will be seeing any new shelters or affordable housing anytime soon since you guys have projects in one rather isolated area of the neighborhood.

But you're not fighting a homeless shelter - you're fighting what amounts to upper middle class housing, maybe just regular middle class housing. "Affordable" housing in this city is a joke. 

In terms of projects in Astoria, you forget about Queensbridge and Woodside houses. Woodside houses are right on the border, much closer to astoria than Woodside. 

And the ones you refer to, in the "isolated area?" Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the hallets point development snafu where they want to put *gasp* luxury housing up there instead. And people were up in arms about that. 

Before you look to throw stones, you should focus on your area where the politicians seem to be useless. They can't even get decent subway service to run up there. lol

I don't see how that's relevant to my calling you out on your falsely-elitist stance - but even if it were - the N Q in Astoria runs pretty great. the M and the R are 10 minutes closer to walk to, but I walk the extra 10 min because they run that much better. Every 4 minutes and I usually get a seat. A perfect trip save for being in a tube with all the commoners (shudder).

But none of that was my point - my point was what's the big deal with some mixed income housing? Are you really that averse to people with less money than you? 

Besides, most "mixed income" housing is a joke, a luxury development with a couple middle-class priced units you have to join a lottery to get a chance at.

You couldn't last a second walking down the road I've taken in life.

Could you last a second walking down the road anywhere near a housing project?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :ph34r:

Yes you are missing something.  If you want to be humble then good for you, but you can't dictate how others should act. It's not as if you're giving me anything so live and let live.

Great quote.. I can respect that. But you're missing the part about when someone else applies equal or greater force to a situation.When you have multiple people saying there the best there's no longer any value in the word. So then we switch over from ration to merit I'm simply calling into question what you've done or your merit basis? Merit is something that you hold so dear. Of course that's the first thing I'm going to attack. "I work my @ss off" such a subjective statement.. What does that really mean? You might think that you worked your @ss off but to someone else it maybe mediocre. Let society and history be the judge of that How can you accurately judge yourself? You're 100% correct to say I can't dictate how other people act nor should I try. I've come across too many people that try to hide behind merit, principals, ethics and morals. Those are all cards that now are off the table! If this is really how you feel and just say it. Don't try to hide behind justifications specially when you can't back them up. Stand behind what you say whether right or wrong that's one of my principles. And you still didn't answer any of my questions. How are we supposed to judge you based off what? Almost like you don't want to be accountable for anything you say! One thing that makes makes us productive citizens!  

But you're not fighting a homeless shelter - you're fighting what amounts to upper middle class housing, maybe just regular middle class housing. "Affordable" housing in this city is a joke. 

In terms of projects in Astoria, you forget about Queensbridge and Woodside houses. Woodside houses are right on the border, much closer to astoria than Woodside. 

And the ones you refer to, in the "isolated area?" Perhaps you're unfamiliar with the hallets point development snafu where they want to put *gasp* luxury housing up there instead. And people were up in arms about that. 

I don't see how that's relevant to my calling you out on your falsely-elitist stance - but even if it were - the N Q in Astoria runs pretty great. the M and the R are 10 minutes closer to walk to, but I walk the extra 10 min because they run that much better. Every 4 minutes and I usually get a seat. A perfect trip save for being in a tube with all the commoners (shudder).

But none of that was my point - my point was what's the big deal with some mixed income housing? Are you really that averse to people with less money than you? 

Besides, most "mixed income" housing is a joke, a luxury development with a couple middle-class priced units you have to join a lottery to get a chance at.

Could you last a second walking down the road anywhere near a housing project?   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :ph34r:

1.  We have certainly fought and beat "supportive" housing projects here which is basically like a homeless shelter IMO.  There's also some sort of development on Broadway that is similar to a homeless shelter, with men walking in and out with no connection to the community.  Thank God I don't live in downstairs Riverdale.  

2. Ok, so you have some housing projects in your neck of the woods.  Give yourself a pat on the back why don't you.  What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander.  The Upper West and Upper East Side have facilities right on the edge of their neighborhoods, and it hasn't worked out so well at all.  Any neighborhood with half a brain would be smart to do everything possible to stop that from coming into their community.

3.  Mixed income housing... There's enough of it in the city.  That's precisely the problem.  Too much of that garbage.  Deregulate all of this "supportive" and "affordable" housing crappola, and you'd have market rate prices that were reasonable.  Let the market dictate prices, and those who can't afford it have to move elsewhere.  I don't see the problem with that. The fact that NYC has become more expensive and a place for those who are educated is a good thing.  We need educated people coming to live and invest in our city and make it a greater, safer, more civilized place, not unless you support the pre-Giuliani/Dinkins days, where crime was rampant, etc.?  To be clear, I support market rate prices, which is what I pay.  For the record, we have a large amount of housing for seniors.  There are about four senior homes near me, which I am fine with.  I would prefer that over supportive housing any day. It's more in line with the community, which consists mainly of seniors, young families, and young upper to upper middle class professionals like myself.

4.  Very funny.... I'm in the Bronx (aka the ghetto) every week... The South Bronx... The Northeast Bronx... Passing housing projects and the like... Looks like I'm doing ok so far, but preach on brotha!!!  :D

Great quote.. I can respect that. But you're missing the part about when someone else applies equal or greater force to a situation.When you have multiple people saying there the best there's no longer any value in the word. So then we switch over from ration to merit I'm simply calling into question what you've done or your merit basis? Merit is something that you hold so dear. Of course that's the first thing I'm going to attack. "I work my @ss off" such a subjective statement.. What does that really mean? You might think that you worked your @ss off but to someone else it maybe mediocre. Let society and history be the judge of that How can you accurately judge yourself? You're 100% correct to say I can't dictate how other people act nor should I try. I've come across too many people that try to hide behind merit, principals, ethics and morals. Those are all cards that now are off the table! If this is really how you feel and just say it. Don't try to hide behind justifications specially when you can't back them up. Stand behind what you say whether right or wrong that's one of my principles. And you still didn't answer any of my questions. How are we supposed to judge you based off what? Almost like you don't want to be accountable for anything you say! One thing that makes makes us productive citizens!  

Listen. I don't need to prove anything to you or anyone else for that matter. Like I said, I pay my way, so that's that.  

1.  We have certainly fought and beat "supportive" housing projects here which is basically like a homeless shelter IMO.  There's also some sort of development on Broadway that is similar to a homeless shelter, with men walking in and out with no connection to the community.  Thank God I don't live in downstairs Riverdale.  

2. Ok, so you have some housing projects in your neck of the woods.  Give yourself a pat on the back why don't you.  What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander.  The Upper West and Upper East Side have facilities right on the edge of their neighborhoods, and it hasn't worked out so well at all.  Any neighborhood with half a brain would be smart to do everything possible to stop that from coming into their community.

3.  Mixed income housing... There's enough of it in the city.  That's precisely the problem.  Too much of that garbage.  Deregulate all of this "supportive" and "affordable" housing crappola, and you'd have market rate prices that were reasonable.  Let the market dictate prices, and those who can't afford it have to move elsewhere.  I don't see the problem with that. The fact that NYC has become more expensive and a place for those who are educated is a good thing.  We need educated people coming to live and invest in our city and make it a greater, safer, more civilized place, not unless you support the pre-Giuliani/Dinkins days, where crime was rampant, etc.?  To be clear, I support market rate prices, which is what I pay.  For the record, we have a large amount of housing for seniors.  There are about four senior homes near me, which I am fine with.  I would prefer that over supportive housing any day. It's more in line with the community, which consists mainly of seniors, young families, and young upper to upper middle class professionals like myself.

4.  Very funny.... I'm in the Bronx (aka the ghetto) every week... The South Bronx... The Northeast Bronx... Passing housing projects and the like... Looks like I'm doing ok so far, but preach on brotha!!!  :D

Listen. I don't need to prove anything to you or anyone else for that matter. Like I said, I pay my way, so that's that.  

Indeed. Your 100% correct but on the same token we don't need to hear your negative comments. I know im not the only one that feels this way. If I disagree I'm going to comment on it. plain and simple! Everyone's a on even keel here . What's going to happen your slowly but surely going to lose credibility we're just going to ignore you after awhile. Almost feel like I'm picking and trolling on you now so we can leave that at that. You got a loud bark but I got to say I am thoroughly disappointed I expected more. tsk tsk!

pheeuff!! just finished reading all of this, you guys are going hardcore on this. I'm not defending anyone's previous comments or views here but If I may add two brand newly minted 2016 pennies to all of this, I'd say very few people would move into a housing project (affordable housing whatever you want to call it) unless you had to. Anything with the word "affordable" in it is usually associated with being cheap, a knockoff, ghetto, hood. I mean lets be honest here, "hoods" spread like wildfire unless they are quarantined or kept at bay, it's just how it is.

I've known quite a few people from Riverdale and they wouldn't pal around where I live in an armored vehicle, unless they had to of course. I can understand Riverdalians. They feel they worked hard to enjoy their own little beautiful enclave (not much in the way of restaurants) away from the hood. It's like having bad neighbors, you would prefer to not even have them in the same street, let alone on top, below or next to you. Fact is decent neighborhoods in this city stay decent because the people in them give a dam. It doesn't just happen by sheer luck that we have Riverdale, Battery Park, Bay Ridge, Park Slope, Norwood (how does a place like Norwood happen?) and plenty of other decent neighborhoods. You work hard and fight to get into those places and when you're IN, you work hard and fight to keep us out. By "us" I'm not reffering to any of you, but certainly some crackadelic in a street corner that had lost his/her life many years before.

The area where Mr.Diaz would like to make affordable housing happen, to me doesn't really represent the heart of Riverdale but putting affordable housing in it is like handling a Picasso with filthy hands, like diluting champagne. Just another politician trying to give the impression he's making things happen.

As for the rezoning of neighborhoods, most neighborhoods have a character they want to keep. Pushing first floor retail in residential neighborhoods is a nonstarter, for example, except on streets that already have a commercial presence. And actually the entire "affordable housing" thing has been BS. You'd have to be a crackhead to qualify for most of it.

24,000 or less income for a single individual to even apply? What a joke. That's been par for the course for a lot of these new "developments." Those kind of people have no business living in luxury buildings. Plus the reduced rent, which is dirt cheap, is very much a hardship for someone making that little. So no one wins.

The only "middle class" housing I've seen involves a 2 BR apartment with a family making 160,000 or less a year. And they want about 3,200 a month in rent, which is still a stretch for a family with combined income of 160K, believe it or not.

Not only is this housing "unaffordable" but there is too much housing for people that fail to qualify if they make more than $2 over minimum wage, or work any kind of overtime.

This reduces the supply of middle class housing, which is WHY rents have become so expensive for people who work for a living, aren't yuppies or born with a silver spoon in their mouth, and don't seek out government handouts at every twist and turn. Aid the ultra poor with government tax dollars generated largely from the middle class, benefit the rich with favorable treatment and rules that allow them to control an ever disproportionally greater share of the wealth, and f**k the middle class at every opportunity. That's been the playbook for 35 years.

pheeuff!! just finished reading all of this, you guys are going hardcore on this. I'm not defending anyone's previous comments or views here but If I may add two brand newly minted 2016 pennies to all of this, I'd say very few people would move into a housing project (affordable housing whatever you want to call it) unless you had to. Anything with the word "affordable" in it is usually associated with being cheap, a knockoff, ghetto, hood. I mean lets be honest here, "hoods" spread like wildfire unless they are quarantined or kept at bay, it's just how it is.

I've known quite a few people from Riverdale and they wouldn't pal around where I live in an armored vehicle, unless they had to of course. I can understand Riverdalians. They feel they worked hard to enjoy their own little beautiful enclave (not much in the way of restaurants) away from the hood. It's like having bad neighbors, you would prefer to not even have them in the same street, let alone on top, below or next to you. Fact is decent neighborhoods in this city stay decent because the people in them give a dam. It doesn't just happen by sheer luck that we have Riverdale, Battery Park, Bay Ridge, Park Slope, Norwood (how does a place like Norwood happen?) and plenty of other decent neighborhoods. You work hard and fight to get into those places and when you're IN, you work hard and fight to keep us out. By "us" I'm not reffering to any of you, but certainly some crackadelic in a street corner that had lost his/her life many years before.

The area where Mr.Diaz would like to make affordable housing happen, to me doesn't really represent the heart of Riverdale but putting affordable housing in it is like handling a Picasso with filthy hands, like diluting champagne. Just another politician trying to give the impression he's making things happen.

Valid points.. I think we all can agree there not going to put affordable housing on Netherlands Ave. My argument was more on the tone in which some comments where made and my disagreement with that for the most part. So we may have gone off topic abit. Growing up in the area summers at RNH riding on the Old Putnam people definitely took pride in the neighborhood I have many fond memories and I understand the preservation of that. I like to think same here is happening here in Brooklyn as I see people and neighbors start settling down start raising families and adding to the neighborhood. As you said there are many decent neighborhoods I just feel we must give people a fair shake and be careful not to oversimplify.. Subway Guy you made some great points as well I hear ya..

Yes, you've expressed my points very well. We work very hard to keep our little community from turning into a ghetto, and we would like to keep it nice.  It doesn't have to be Scarsdale or anything of the sort because we don't want that. This is similar to a Forest Hills if you will, and very unique because you don't find areas of the city that have a nice blend of urban and suburban the way Riverdale and Forest Hills do.  As for the restaurants, to be honest with you the scene could be better, but I live very close to the main strips and am perfectly fine with places like Aoyu Sushi for take out and even take friends there when I want to stay local in Riverdale and not go to the city.  We really like having the mom and pop stores, and don't want the big box stores coming in.  That can stay down on Broadway. What I would like to see are more organic options, and the hope is more independent establishments will open up like that, but the high retail rents here deter folks from opening and being successful.  We have a few other new establishments that have been great such as Moss Café, which I also frequent.  It's a nice organic, kosher café.  Don't expect Riverdale to change in terms of the restaurant scene.  I would prefer it not become too big because it keeps the area from becoming overcrowded.  This is a quiet bedroom community.  For nightlife and the restaurant scene, we go to Manhattan.  I like having the birds outside of my balcony, and the quietness and green around me.  It's a complete 360 from the concrete jungle that is the city.  I don't want tourists flooding the area, and creating tons of garbage the way they do in Manhattan.

Yes, you've expressed my points very well. We work very hard to keep our little community from turning into a ghetto, and we would like to keep it nice.  It doesn't have to be Scarsdale or anything of the sort because we don't want that. This is similar to a Forest Hills if you will, and very unique because you don't find areas of the city that have a nice blend of urban and suburban the way Riverdale and Forest Hills do.  As for the restaurants, to be honest with you the scene could be better, but I live very close to the main strips and am perfectly fine with places like Aoyu Sushi for take out and even take friends there when I want to stay local in Riverdale and not go to the city.  We really like having the mom and pop stores, and don't want the big box stores coming in.  That can stay down on Broadway. What I would like to see are more organic options, and the hope is more independent establishments will open up like that, but the high retail rents here deter folks from opening and being successful.  We have a few other new establishments that have been great such as Moss Café, which I also frequent.  It's a nice organic, kosher café.  Don't expect Riverdale to change in terms of the restaurant scene.  I would prefer it not become too big because it keeps the area from becoming overcrowded.  This is a quiet bedroom community.  For nightlife and the restaurant scene, we go to Manhattan.  I like having the birds outside of my balcony, and the quietness and green around me.  It's a complete 360 from the concrete jungle that is the city.  I don't want tourists flooding the area, and creating tons of garbage the way they do in Manhattan.

Yea. Tell you what, it ain't the tourists going around dropping garbage like horses do as they walk. It's we the people of New York that don't respect anything or hold anything sacred. It's one big free for all so long as the cops ain't looking and when they look they get a mean mug right back. I've seen tourist leave a crowded train to run across to a garbage can to drop a little piece of bubblegum wrapper or some nonsense like that. Soon as I see what they are up to doors open right up, step on up this is YOUR train and I work for YOU, always and forever at your service. I let them know we appreciate it very much.

Yea. Tell you what, it ain't the tourists going around dropping garbage like horses do as they walk. It's we the people of New York that don't respect anything or hold anything sacred. It's one big free for all so long as the cops ain't looking and when they look they get a mean mug right back. I've seen tourist leave a crowded train to run across to a garbage can to drop a little piece of bubblegum wrapper or some nonsense like that. I let them know we appreciate it very much.

lol... I'm in the city daily, and I've seen plenty of tourists making a mess everywhere, but they do it in part because of New Yorkers that don't respect the city, so they see heaps of garbage and just follow along.

Archived