Express/Local Post-GOH

MHV9218

Why is it that the post-GOH R42s kept the "energy conservation" switch for Express/Local operation? I think of that as a relic of the field shunting and even Identra days, which I'd think were long gone than the late-1980s GOHs. Is it just the same panel as the 1960s, only with no more electrical connection for that toggle, or was there something to the system that led it to be kept even on the overhauled cars. I've always seen the cars locked on "Express," so I suppose that might be something of the default now. Curious about the history of that and why the switch wasn't taken out entirely.

Why spend the money and time to take out a switch? The R68/As kept their master controllers and brake stands long after they were linked into 4 car sets. Plus there are only so many train line electrical connections, that maybe repurposed such as was done with the (7) line R62s.

So by the point of the GOH, there was nothing like in the way of the field shunting / Express-Local energy conservation setting and they just left the structure in place? Fair enough. Wonder if there's any modern function to the switches.

So by the point of the GOH, there was nothing like in the way of the field shunting / Express-Local energy conservation setting and they just left the structure in place? Fair enough. Wonder if there's any modern function to the switches.

I could be wrong, but I think they rewired it on the R62As for the circle/diamond thing

Archived