Metro Causes Huge Problems for Washington Nationals Fans During Game 5

BreeddekalbL

WMATA is in some deep pockets, considering that they are proposing to close 20 stations during off-peak hours, with many along the Silver and Orange Lines, and the lower-income areas south and east of the Anacostia River being hit the hardest. 

Let's see if they can get their budget straight somehow though (although I doubt it). The other DC transit systems are also in a shortfall too; PRTC cut one express bus line, eliminated some off-peak service and multiple other express bus trips, and now has a reduced Friday schedule for all express bus lines (this occurred in July though). Ride-On and PG's the Bus, nor Fairfax Connector have been hit yet, but they probably will soon, given how this is starting to occur across the board (in PRTC's case, the sales or gas tax wasn't as high as predicted, which made them cut service; whatever they were taxing, their percent was really low).

can those low income/minority  communities sue under discrimination? 

If they go to their local leaders, they most certainly can.

Only 6 out of 14 stations in that area of DC will remain open throughout the day, and most of them being either heavy commercial areas or areas with regional connections. Although, if many of the residential areas are without service, how do you expect people to get to those areas. Industrial zones will be hurt because people cannot get to work because the train does not stop during off-peak hours. To add insult to injury, in many of these areas, the bus service serving those (to-be) bypassed stations during off-peak hours will be eliminated or reduced as well. Not too good if you ask me.

WMATA is in some deep pockets, considering that they are proposing to close 20 stations during off-peak hours, with many along the Silver and Orange Lines, and the lower-income areas south and east of the Anacostia River being hit the hardest. 

I took a quick glance at the map, and I don't think any of those stations were terminal stations, in which case, there's not much of a savings to be gained by bypassing them, especially off-peak. You save a little on runtime (which doesn't make much of a difference off-peak), and maybe a little on security and/or station agents (whatever they happen to have there), but not enough to be worth the inconvenience.

and where are all these cuts at by stop exactly?

Here's the map of the proposed station closures:

111509-1.png

The red dots indicate stops that would only receive rush-hour service.

WMATA is so inefficient that they can't even run any special services anymore during certain events. There are no special services to the different sports games if they finish after 12 AM.

I don't know if it was true or not, but I read somewhere that BO's there make 100K a year. If that's true, then perhaps that is part of the problem (paying employees too much, not just BO's). The bus fare is also low compared to other areas ($1.75 for bus service). If they pay BO's that much, then what about TO's and Conductors. I guess it's a good thing that WMATA doesn't operate commuter rail.

I took a quick glance at the map, and I don't think any of those stations were terminal stations, in which case, there's not much of a savings to be gained by bypassing them, especially off-peak. You save a little on runtime (which doesn't make much of a difference off-peak), and maybe a little on security and/or station agents (whatever they happen to have there), but not enough to be worth the inconvenience.

They say that there aren't many people using those stations, and well, the nunbers reflect that. However, the SE portion of DC has had the most trackwork (essentially meaning that there were no ridership counts on those days), and most unplanned interruptions than any other section of DC.

Archived