NJT BUS ticketing/fare collection system

Gmansports

This topic is about creating a efficient Bus Ticketing System that is currently fragmented and poorly executed throughout the entire NJT Bus operations. I am foremost a bus transit fan, former commuter and now a bus operator for NJ transit. 

I am here to share my input on the current bus fare collection system that needs attention both from the public, bus operators and leaders of NJT and union.

I am aware NJT board recently selected a contractor to modernize the fare collection system without full detail on the design and execution. 

Currently the NJ app is unintuitive and has a feel it was created back in year 2000. It is subject to fraudulent use due to the fact bus operators are forced to use only visual validation. This creates potential customer service issues and backlogs when boarding passengers. The current fare registers from Parkeon do not support "tap and go" technology. 

A big part of how to improve transportation efficiency is improving transit ticketing systems. Ticketing systems have to be quick and practical to allow for prompt loading and unloading of passengers. “Tap and go” is the new mantra for bus fares. Not: sign in app, wait and guess

Please share your thoughts 

• 10 months later...

You are absolutely correct the fare collection system currently being used is at best antiquated NJT is the only system in the U.S. to my knowledge that is using Railroad type protocols for surface transit and it leads to a lot of inefficiencies such as idle times at stops and a host of other issues important to bus operation they need to work on an acceptable fare collection system that is universal throughout the entire system it is incomprehensible that a transit agency scope and size hasn't updated their fare collection system 

9 hours ago, Suydam Street said:

You are absolutely correct the fare collection system currently being used is at best antiquated NJT is the only system in the U.S. to my knowledge that is using Railroad type protocols for surface transit and it leads to a lot of inefficiencies such as idle times at stops and a host of other issues important to bus operation they need to work on an acceptable fare collection system that is universal throughout the entire system it is incomprehensible that a transit agency scope and size hasn't updated their fare collection system 

Agreed. 

Stuck in the times and is now playing catchup somewhat. That's what happens when you have leaders that are comfortable and stagnant on an out of date fare structure. Plus not hearing ideas from sround the table from its riders(customers) and drivers.

• 3 months later...

Not a regular commuter; I am a runner, and frequently run from the GWB to Tarrytown or farther north, then get on MNCR back to GCT and the bus home from PABT.
I have yet to use the NJT 'MyTix' app, but do have it installed and configured on my phone. With all the poor reviews of the app, I am afraid to use it, so I have been using cash from NJ, and buy a ticket from a TVM for the trip home. That said, I have seen plenty of people getting on the bus using the app, so I guess it works - at least some of the time.

I agree 100% with the need for a new fare collection system. Tap & Go is the way to go, but I would go one step further, and build a system that is compatible with MTA, so we can have one card (or one account) to use for MTA and NJT.

Ultrarunner