World Transit Systems Random Discussion Thread

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/28/2023 at 8:48 PM, GojiMet86 said:

Vancouver's CMBC (Coast Mountain Bus Company) recently trialed a Solaris Trollino 12 for its trolleybus system.

Solaris is a Polish company, and is a big player in Europe. I'm personally excited to see them in the USA; I saw the 12, 15, and 18 meter diesels in Warsaw and Krakow.

https://cptdb.ca/wiki/index.php/File:Coast_Mountain_Bus_Company_Solaris_demonstrator.jpg

Coast_Mountain_Bus_Company_Solaris_demon

Yes, Awesome!! I really dig those Gen-4 Urbinos

• 2 months later...

I was in Medellin, Colombia earlier this year, and they have a very interesting transit system. I made a post on the CPTDB worldwide forum recently, here are my observations:

The Metroplus system is a BRT-style system serving much of the city. Equipment includes artics, BYD electric buses, and other models. I believe there are two lines (1 and 2) which circulate the city in opposite directions. All buses are high-floor and have doors for boarding on both sides; some of the doors (especially on the left side) are not at curb level in order to board from the raised station platforms.

Most of the Metroplus fleet is painted in the default Medellin Metro livery with a yellow and green stripe. However, the BYD electric buses feature special wraps highlighting that the bus is 100% electric. Some examples are shown below.

Leaves livery:

9FJ63iNl.jpg

1hgQKsEl.jpg

dpW9gOOl.jpg

Clouds livery:

4aLYcnkl.jpg

xtQzNYXl.jpg

Trees livery:

Zb3hypel.jpg

The BRT stations are fully enclosed past the turnstiles. Doors on the side of the stations open along with the bus doors. I rode the diesel artics, although I didn't get any photos of them. The buses have interior LED display screens and automated stop announcements. I believe Medellin received 64 BYD electric artics a few years back, but I did not see any during my time there. The city also has an extensive rail system; I didn't get any photos of the trains either.

Buses approaching Palos Verdes station:

QOrFm3Bl.jpg

Q5q01fPl.jpg

Palos Verdes station entry:

OTUqqM7l.jpg

System map:

dRAn1lyl.jpg

In addition to the Metroplus system, Medellin Metro operates smaller buses too, notably DINA Runner 8G buses. The rims on these remind me of US-style Alcoas, not sure if they're the exact rims though.

A few examples of the Runner 8G buses:

0Nc5pStl.jpg

37nWcIwl.jpg

In addition to the Medellin Metro system, there are a number of smaller carriers in the area operating smaller buses. A lot of the equipment used by these carriers are Marcopolo/Isuzu NPR-bodied buses. Some examples are shown below.

Coopetransa:

Bus #329 (a red/white livery unit):

oVX8JZOl.jpg

NNtuip9l.jpg

A green/white livery unit:

DVIFPeJl.jpg

Bellanita Group (based in Bello):

Pictured below are two southbound buses (#303 and #237) stopping at Carrera 64C/Calle 104 between Bello and Medellin.

xNRWnfSl.jpg

Z8zMyZgl.jpg

Combuses S.A. #703 at MDE airport:

QlVw4ool.jpg

Enjoy!

Edited by JLiu15