MTA Bus Handicap Accesibility

dpana

Hello,

I was wondering what the regulations are for deploying the wheelchair ramp on buses to allow disabled persons who are not in wheelchairs (for example, someone who uses a walker) to board and exit a bus. My mother is severely disabled and needs to use a walker to get around, and was recently told by a bus driver that he was not required to deploy the ramp after she requested it. The driver forced my mother, who cannot walk without her walker, to get off the bus without the use of the ramp, causing her to almost fall onto the pavement. She takes the bus frequently and has never encountered this issue before, so I was wondering if this was just a case of the driver not wanting to deploy the ramp, or if in fact regulations state that only passengers in wheelchairs may request to use the ramp.

-D

3 minutes ago, dpana said:

Hello,

I was wondering what the regulations are for deploying the wheelchair ramp on buses to allow disabled persons who are not in wheelchairs (for example, someone who uses a walker) to board and exit a bus. My mother is severely disabled and needs to use a walker to get around, and was recently told by a bus driver that he was not required to deploy the ramp after she requested it. The driver forced my mother, who cannot walk without her walker, to get off the bus without the use of the ramp, causing her to almost fall onto the pavement. She takes the bus frequently and has never encountered this issue before, so I was wondering if this was just a case of the driver not wanting to deploy the ramp, or if in fact regulations state that only passengers in wheelchairs may request to use the ramp.

-D

Just a driver being a jerk...

Just now, dpana said:

That's what I thought.

I've seen the ramp deployed for people in walkers plenty of times on the local bus lines.  I would file a complaint online. Even if you don't know the bus #,  note the bus stop, the route, and the time the bus came at said stop, and they should be able to take it from there.  Having the Bus# though makes it easier in case there were multiple buses stopping there, so if you do have that information, be sure to include it.  Fill out the link below:

https://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/app/ask

18 minutes ago, dpana said:

Hello,

-D

operator here. i never fail to deploy the ramp regardless of wheelchair or walker. better safe than sorry. unless of course a customer with a walker refuses it, which is very rare. there's no valid excuse that can be given not to deploy it, unless it fails to work while in the process of performing your run which should be called in and documented on the OVCR card

21 minutes ago, EastFlatbushLarry said:

operator here. i never fail to deploy the ramp regardless of wheelchair or walker. better safe than sorry. unless of course a customer with a walker refuses it, which is very rare. there's no valid excuse that can be given not to deploy it, unless it fails to work while in the process of performing your run which should be called in and documented on the OVCR card

Thanks for the information.

On 12/14/2018 at 3:31 PM, Via Garibaldi 8 said:

I've seen the ramp deployed for people in walkers plenty of times on the local bus lines.  I would file a complaint online. Even if you don't know the bus #,  note the bus stop, the route, and the time the bus came at said stop, and they should be able to take it from there.  Having the Bus# though makes it easier in case there were multiple buses stopping there, so if you do have that information, be sure to include it.  Fill out the link below:

https://mta-nyc.custhelp.com/app/ask

Yea indeed. 

Don't need Any sort of requirement to use the ramp, If you want it you get it. Doesn't matter if you have walker, cane, or no mobility device at all.

Archived