Something I agree on with Ben Carson: Zoning

Union Tpke

http://www.startribune.com/u-s-housing-secretary-ben-carson-visits-minnesota-for-first-time-as-federal-official/511485922/

U.S. Housing Secretary Ben Carson: More should follow Minneapolis and phase out single-family zoning
In his first visit to Minnesota as a federal official, Carson said educating more people and fighting off "NIMBYism" or "Not In My Backyard" will be important. 
By Marissa Evans Star Tribune  JUNE 18, 2019 — 10:14PM

U.S. Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson said during his first visit to Minnesota on Tuesday that he would like to see more local governments follow Minneapolis’ example of addressing homelessness by eliminating single-family zoning.

Carson said educating more people about single-family zoning and fighting off “NIMBYism” or “not in my backyard” attitudes will be important. The Minneapolis City Council passed an ordinance to do away with single-family zoning in December — becoming the first major city in the country to decide to upzone its neighborhoods historically reserved for single-family homes.

“The correlation seems very strong: The more zoning restrictions and regulations, the higher the prices and the more homeless people,” Carson said. “So, armed with that knowledge, we have to work with these various places. And I don’t think there’s anybody that wants to see homelessness and squalor. We just have to start utilizing the facts and utilizing the evidence to create the policies.”

+1, however, I'd like NYC to do it in a sensible way. I don't want to see 20 storey glass towers going up on a block that has historically been full of single family homes. I guess the only area which works well with this mix (generally speaking) is Forest Hills / Kew Gardens. In the Kew-Forest section (between 75 Ave and Union Tpke off of Queens Blvd), there are several large single family homes with long driveways and large lawns which are only a stones throw away from 6-storey pre-war apartments and the Park Lane North / South coops. I just feel that a 20 storey tower would not sit well in the middle of a block with single family homes in a place like Little Neck.

1 minute ago, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

In the Kew-Forest section (between 75 Ave and Union Tpke off of Queens Blvd), there are several large single family homes with long driveways and large lawns which are only a stones throw away from 6-storey pre-war apartments and the Park Lane North / South coops. I just feel that a 20 storey tower would not sit well in the middle of a block with single family homes in a place like Little Neck.

This exactly fits the description of my house, which is nearby. I don't live in Kew Forest though. I agree with what you said.

I lived near the Kew-Forest section for a few years. My apt window would overlook K-F. I now live 'down the 'pike', so to speak, but I'm hardly on the E and F, now.

Side note - When I was lazy and wanted a seat, or the subways were delayed, I'd travel with the X's (X63, X64, or X68). I always felt like I was breaking the driver's stride when I'd flag them down. I always felt like they did not want to stop at 78 Ave. I took the QM18 westbound only once....its too slow.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/26/2019 at 10:25 AM, Uncle Floyd Fan said:

I lived near the Kew-Forest section for a few years. My apt window would overlook K-F. I now live 'down the 'pike', so to speak, but I'm hardly on the E and F, now.

Side note - When I was lazy and wanted a seat, or the subways were delayed, I'd travel with the X's (X63, X64, or X68). I always felt like I was breaking the driver's stride when I'd flag them down. I always felt like they did not want to stop at 78 Ave. I took the QM18 westbound only once....its too slow.

And expensive. Those buses aren't worth the $6.50 price tag. 

Hopefully, the network redesign will sort itself out in the Bronx and move to Queens, where it's probably needed more than any other borough.