Hello all, interested in a career with MTA, any tips?

Loading JavaScript

Hello everyone, hope all is well. I am a recent college graduate who got a BS in physics, and is currently looking for a career to settle into. I am highly interested in working for the MTA because of the dynamics of the city and transit system, and also giving back to the community, I also wanted know a few things:

Is my degree applicable to any jobs the MTA offers? 

For their exams, is there any good books and materials to study?

Do you have to reside in New York City throughout your career?

Any input and advice is helpful, I thank you for your time, and little fun fact, the Subway system in it of it self contains some of the disciplines of physics, Mechanics, Electromagnetism  and Optics.

Mechanics dealing with the motion, torques and the forces on a body moving through a medium.

Electromagnetism, the third rail supplying power to the train.

And my favorite Optics , if you ever stood in the front or back of the train and looked out the driver's door you might notice the lights in the tunnel look spread out like in the image below, this is the consequence of light passing through a diffraction grating, or a screen with many slits proving that light has wave characteristics.

Thanks again!

Diffraction.jpg

On 10/20/2019 at 10:48 PM, Loading JavaScript said:

Hello everyone, hope all is well. I am a recent college graduate who got a BS in physics, and is currently looking for a career to settle into. I am highly interested in working for the MTA because of the dynamics of the city and transit system, and also giving back to the community, I also wanted know a few things:

Is my degree applicable to any jobs the MTA offers? 

For their exams, is there any good books and materials to study?

Do you have to reside in New York City throughout your career?

Any input and advice is helpful, I thank you for your time, and little fun fact, the Subway system in it of it self contains some of the disciplines of physics, Mechanics, Electromagnetism  and Optics.

Mechanics dealing with the motion, torques and the forces on a body moving through a medium.

Electromagnetism, the third rail supplying power to the train.

And my favorite Optics , if you ever stood in the front or back of the train and looked out the driver's door you might notice the lights in the tunnel look spread out like in the image below, this is the consequence of light passing through a diffraction grating, or a screen with many slits proving that light has wave characteristics.

Thanks again!

Diffraction.jpg

Hi @Loading JavaScript!

Welcome to the forums! The transit employment section (linked here) is your best option for looking to getting hired by the (MTA)! Also @+Young+ is the most knowledgeable person on this forum with relation to getting hired.

Hope you like the forum!

@Jova42R 

Thanks for mentioning me, I appreciate it.

Between keeping an eye on the various exams the agency offers, have you also checked out the various positions which you can apply to via a resume and cover letter? You don't need to "log in" to view the job positions that are open. However, if you wish to apply to something, then you'll need to create an account.

In addition, I would never give up. Just keep applying to different things and see what happens.

Good luck!!

• 5 months later...