PA-4 PATH Train

Geesa14

Hi all, 

I am trying to make my 6 year old son's dream come true, which is seeing the inside of a PA-4 PATH train, or more specifically a PA-4 work train. We see these parked in Journal Square (typically with a wagon attached), but are clearly out of service for customers (as I understand the new fleet of PA-5s took over in 2011). 

My question is:

• Is there anywhere I can find a PA-4? I see that the PATH trains that were in the WTC are at museum in CT and upstate NY, but I have to assume, if not only out of respect, that physical interaction is limited;
  • I have seen older model MTA trains (i.e. 7 train blue birds) as novelty passenger trains on special days; does this ever happen with older model PATH trains?
  •  

Any sort of suggestion would be greatly appreciated. If there are any train yards holding older model PATH trains, and perhaps any maps that identify the location, that would be beyond helpful. 

Thanks in advance!

Regards, 

Geesa14

The Trolley Museum of New York (upstate) was open this past season, I was there in late August. If they have hours, you'll be able to go into the car. Website is www.tmny.org . Also, the Shore Line  Trolley Museum in Connecticut, if it's open, offers an excellent tour of their trolley barn, which is where the car is located. Their website is  www.bera.org . I haven't been there since COVID though, so I don't know what their restrictions are. Hope this helps.

Edited by RapidoNewLook

The Trolley Museum of NY is the one museum that does have PATH cars on hand (two cars that survived the 9/11 attacks, as you said). They're PA-1 cars, which aren't quite PA-4s, but they're extremely close in design and extremely similar on the inside. I think that's the best bet. You could get lucky with a work train stopped at a station and a particularly friendly crew member, but that's about the extent of it. PATH has never really run 'excursion' trains like the MTA, and they don't even keep preserved cars from their old fleets.

21 hours ago, MHV9218 said:

The Trolley Museum of NY is the one museum that does have PATH cars on hand (two cars that survived the 9/11 attacks, as you said). They're PA-1 cars, which aren't quite PA-4s, but they're extremely close in design and extremely similar on the inside. I think that's the best bet. You could get lucky with a work train stopped at a station and a particularly friendly crew member, but that's about the extent of it. PATH has never really run 'excursion' trains like the MTA, and they don't even keep preserved cars from their old fleets.

Actually, TMNY only has one PATH 9/11 Car. Shoreline Trolley Museum in Branford, CT has the other.