Obstacles that prevent a call back

HardWorkin

Hey everyone , I’m a bit frustrated now at this point. Been applying for jobs on the MTA website since 2018 and I’ve never gotten a call back at all . Despite having numerous jobs say passed prescreening , and even one that says “ passed “. I’ve never been contacted or invited for examination . I guess my question is , are they any factors that will prevent you getting a call back. I’ve had a city job before in CUNY and was fired , could that be a reason? Also back in 2017 I received a ticket from the MTA because I got on a select bus and it was stopped by cops and I didn’t not have my slip . Could that be a reason? At this point I’m trying to figure out why not at least one call back , especially because the jobs I did apply for , I’m more than qualified for. I applied for attendant terminal appearance , back in august. A few weeks ago I saw people come in saying they got invited for the test . It’s just discouraging , I really want to start my career in the MTA , and my current job in healthcare ain’t it , smh 

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

A previous termination that was involuntary will be used by any HR organization, public or private, to stack the deck against a candidate.  If they made you disclose the firing upfront on the job application and you didn't provide them with a satisfactory explanation, chances are they could be using that against you.

As to the civil summons you received for fare evasion, unless you disputed it and successfully beat that ticket, it counts as a Class A misdemeanor and most likely you will have to disclose it if asked for a background check, unless things have changed.  I know that I was required to disclose a similar offense (from when I was an adolescent, no less) when applying for many public-sector, civil-service type jobs, at least for the first few years after I became a legal adult.

In the alternative, have you tried applying for a similar job with NYPL, QPL or BPL (the public libraries)? They directly hire custodial staff- good benefits, steady environment. 

On 12/1/2021 at 7:24 PM, R10 2952 said:

A previous termination that was involuntary will be used by any HR organization, public or private, to stack the deck against a candidate.  If they made you disclose the firing upfront on the job application and you didn't provide them with a satisfactory explanation, chances are they could be using that against you.

As to the civil summons you received for fare evasion, unless you disputed it and successfully beat that ticket, it counts as a Class A misdemeanor and most likely you will have to disclose it if asked for a background check, unless things have changed.  I know that I was required to disclose a similar offense (from when I was an adolescent, no less) when applying for many public-sector, civil-service type jobs, at least for the first few years after I became a legal adult.

In the alternative, have you tried applying for a similar job with NYPL, QPL or BPL (the public libraries)? They directly hire custodial staff- good benefits, steady environment. 

I finally got an invitation to an exam! 
it’s for metro north coach cleaner , it’s not what I was hoping for but I’m still grateful to finally get a call back ! Thank you for taking the time out to reply to my post !