Applications status and Exam invite

HardWorkin

Hey everyone

I was wondering , has anyone actually ever got invited to an exam for a job you applied for with a “passed prescreening “ application status? 
I’m asking because I recently applied for Attendant Terminal Appearance and I saw I passed the prescreening. However , I also applied for Coach Cleaner back in August and took the test in December and my application was and still is “Applied” .

2 hours ago, HardWorkin said:

Hey everyone

I was wondering , has anyone actually ever got invited to an exam for a job you applied for with a “passed prescreening “ application status? 
I’m asking because I recently applied for Attendant Terminal Appearance and I saw I passed the prescreening. However , I also applied for Coach Cleaner back in August and took the test in December and my application was and still is “Applied” .

Just got the passed prescreening today also. If we both get the job, I’ll see you soon. P.S: I still need to know what the study guides are for the exam.

Edited by 2ride

22 hours ago, HardWorkin said:

Hey everyone

Take what you see under the "Application Status" as a grain of salt. While getting a callback [either email or phone call] for an interview on you application is possible, it can be quite rare. You will see application statuses such as "applied" "passed pre-screening" "position filled" most of that is HRIS on the back end. Even if your status goes to "passed pre-screen" in my experience on several hundreds of applications, the likelihood of contact is minimal. This may be ever more drastic if it's for a civil service title position, as most of those are not through application but off exam/eligible lists.

If however the position is a "in need" and they on the HR side need to quick fill labor type positions [or provisional hires] they may have a higher rate of contacting individuals that placed application. As with all things with TA, don't hold your breath. Things take months, if not years, and at times half decades. Even IF you manage to get an interview, getting a position or getting appointed takes quite a long time.

Think of it as apply & forget it. It's like a dice roll that you cannot see the results until way later down the line.  Best advice is to take all the exams you are eligible for, pass them and let them sit in the back pocket until the times comes [for list establishment, then list certification, then hiring pools, then interviews] & those cards become ready to play. Good Luck in the hunt.

1 hour ago, Alucard said:

Take what you see under the "Application Status" as a grain of salt. While getting a callback [either email or phone call] for an interview on you application is possible, it can be quite rare. You will see application statuses such as "applied" "passed pre-screening" "position filled" most of that is HRIS on the back end. Even if your status goes to "passed pre-screen" in my experience on several hundreds of applications, the likelihood of contact is minimal. This may be ever more drastic if it's for a civil service title position, as most of those are not through application but off exam/eligible lists.

If however the position is a "in need" and they on the HR side need to quick fill labor type positions [or provisional hires] they may have a higher rate of contacting individuals that placed application. As with all things with TA, don't hold your breath. Things take months, if not years, and at times half decades. Even IF you manage to get an interview, getting a position or getting appointed takes quite a long time.

Think of it as apply & forget it. It's like a dice roll that you cannot see the results until way later down the line.  Best advice is to take all the exams you are eligible for, pass them and let them sit in the back pocket until the times comes [for list establishment, then list certification, then hiring pools, then interviews] & those cards become ready to play. Good Luck in the hunt.

This application was for MNR, not TA. 

23 hours ago, 2ride said:

Just got the passed prescreening today also. If we both get the job, I’ll see you soon. P.S: I still need to know what the study guides are for the exam.

Fingers crossed !! This is my third time applying for this position so I hope 3rd times the charm. Plus I heard they should be getting another raise soon as mentioned by another user . Seems like a good time to get in. Hopefully we get an invite at least 

22 minutes ago, Thinklikeamango said:

We got 2 new hires that just started on Friday. Keep on the lookout might be hiring more soon.

For this position, do they need a lot of people right now? Also, how many people do they invite for testing for this position? 

16 minutes ago, 2ride said:

For this position, do they need a lot of people right now? Also, how many people do they invite for testing for this position? 

Yes for terminal appearance, we do have alot of open positions overnight. Because of COVID I'm not sure how many they allow for testing at once, but back when I tested in 2018 there was about 15 of us in a room.

42 minutes ago, Thinklikeamango said:

Yes for terminal appearance, we do have alot of open positions overnight. Because of COVID I'm not sure how many they allow for testing at once, but back when I tested in 2018 there was about 15 of us in a room.

I need to wait for how long until I can get promoted to customer ambassador or conductor if I’m a terminal attendant? 

11 hours ago, Thinklikeamango said:

If you remember, how long did it take from when you applied for them to invite you to the exam.

On 4/18/2022 at 5:45 PM, HardWorkin said:

Hey everyone

So I applied for a position and they called me in for a multiple choice test, written exam, and interview all done on the same day. Three weeks later, I got a call to schedule for day 1 of processing. They said to wait 48 - 72 hours for the drug test results to proceed to day 2. This is where I am at right now. 

16 hours ago, HardWorkin said:

I believe I read you have to be in your current craft  for a year before you can transfer out . Maybe @Thinklikeamangocan answer this better 

Yup 1 year in your current craft to move to another. I believe conductor and engineer they want atleast 2 years so they have 2 years worth of attendance to look at before allowing you to switch over because they just don't take anyone so having a really good attendance and no write ups or disciplinary action on your record will help you alot. But I think other crafts it's just 1 year like track and stuff like that.

9 hours ago, BCDubs said:

So I applied for a position and they called me in for a multiple choice test, written exam, and interview all done on the same day. Three weeks later, I got a call to schedule for day 1 of processing. They said to wait 48 - 72 hours for the drug test results to proceed to day 2. This is where I am at right now. 

What position.

20 hours ago, Thinklikeamango said:

I applied back around September in 2018 and got an email for the test in November.

When you applied did you have application have a “passed pre screening” status? And wow almost 4 years with the company, can you share your experience so far? 
And also did you hear any news of any upcoming exams for the position? 

10 hours ago, HardWorkin said:

When you applied did you have application have a “passed pre screening” status? And wow almost 4 years with the company, can you share your experience so far? 
And also did you hear any news of any upcoming exams for the position? 

I think it definitely did change to passed pre-screening at one point I just can't recall when. Yup I'll have 3 years, it's been great so far I honestly can't complain the work isn't hard, you can move to alot of different jobs within our union which is TCU, the pay for the work we do is very generous and we are out of a contract as of June 2021 so we should be getting another raise soon, the overtime goes by seniority but it's definitely there if you want it some guys work 40hours+ of overtime every week. It's a great job to get your foot in or even do your 30 years at metro north.

8 hours ago, Thinklikeamango said:

I think it definitely did change to passed pre-screening at one point I just can't recall when. Yup I'll have 3 years, it's been great so far I honestly can't complain the work isn't hard, you can move to alot of different jobs within our union which is TCU, the pay for the work we do is very generous and we are out of a contract as of June 2021 so we should be getting another raise soon, the overtime goes by seniority but it's definitely there if you want it some guys work 40hours+ of overtime every week. It's a great job to get your foot in or even do your 30 years at metro 

I’m praying I get invited to the exam (fingers crossed) 

Is the exam Easy, I took the exam for Coach cleaner and passed. Are the exams similar? 
what shift do you work? 

1 hour ago, HardWorkin said:

I’m praying I get invited to the exam (fingers crossed) 

Is the exam Easy, I took the exam for Coach cleaner and passed. Are the exams similar? 
what shift do you work? 

It seems like as time passes, MNR can get to LIRR’s level in terms of pay for their employees. Both agencies already get paid way more than NYCT workers and Office of Capital Construction too. 

36 minutes ago, 2ride said:

It seems like as time passes, MNR can get to LIRR’s level in terms of pay for their employees. Both agencies already get paid way more than NYCT workers and Office of Capital Construction too. 

That’s interesting , I thought MNR was the better paying company? I remember both companies posted a ticket agent ,customer service type job , and from what I remember MNR was offering a little more per hour . However I do realize for positions such as conductor , or engineer LIRR does pay a little more , their Foreman’s seem to get a little more than MNR as well. Both good paying nevertheless.

44 minutes ago, HardWorkin said:

That’s interesting , I thought MNR was the better paying company? I remember both companies posted a ticket agent ,customer service type job , and from what I remember MNR was offering a little more per hour . However I do realize for positions such as conductor , or engineer LIRR does pay a little more , their Foreman’s seem to get a little more than MNR as well. Both good paying nevertheless.

I think getting your foot in the door is all what matters. When you pass probation like mango said, you can try to apply internally to other positions. If you want to move over to LIRR or something, it’ll be easier for you to get in than someone with no MTA experience. Idk… I might stay with Metro North because changing departments might take more work. Never say never when there is a potential that MNR can pay equally as LIRR later on. 

49 minutes ago, HardWorkin said:

Your story is kind of interesting though. I do have flashbacks to some of the people I was very acquainted with in the past. There are some people who I’ve been trying to win over as friends for many years now and I have yet been able to win their approval for friendships. It’s the same analogy as me trying to get into MTA as a professional career and I’ve yet to land one interview except pass pre screening for terminal attendant.

20 minutes ago, 2ride said:

Your story is kind of interesting though. I do have flashbacks to some of the people I was very acquainted with in the past. There are some people who I’ve been trying to win over as friends for many years now and I have yet been able to win their approval for friendships. It’s the same analogy as me trying to get into MTA as a professional career and I’ve yet to land one interview except pass pre screening for terminal attendant.

Just keep trying.  Before I was called back for the Coach cleaner exam im last year, I was applying for jobs in the site for over 3 years with no luck , so it’s really a waiting game. All we can really do is apply and remain hopeful