MaBSTOA B/O Exams - No Fee to Apply!! (Open Until Further Notice)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+,

As a friendly reminder, when you submit your online application, you must have either your Class B CDL (Commercial Driver License) or your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner Permit) with the Passenger "P" endorsement. They will run your abstract prior to you reporting for pre-employment, therefore, as long as you have the temporary paper permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles, you will be fine.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement. If you would like and/or need more information into obtaining your Commercial Driver's License (CDL), click here.

When you are ready to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, click here to make a reservation for yourself.

Good luck!!

(Updated 3/19/2024)

18 hours ago, Drive4Life said:

I’ve been trying to contact the MTA to try to reschedule my pre employment for the Bus Operator position. I’ve emailed them, went to 149 pierpont street, and I’ve called the rescheduling number multiple times to get no response. Does anyone know how I can reschedule my pre employment for exam numbers 4110 and 4104?

lol I was an annoying prick, I emailed exam operations rescheduling, and like 12 different emails that had direct influence with HR all in one group message with a detailed explanation of my situation and that I have been calling and leaving voicemails, and nobody is answering. eventually that week they got back to me. 
if that doesn’t work I would re apply and go through the information session these people are talking about. I don’t have the emails of people anymore because I organized my inbox. 

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 hours ago, Drive4Life said:

I’ve been trying to contact the MTA to try to reschedule my pre employment for the Bus Operator position. I’ve emailed them, went to 149 pierpont street, and I’ve called the rescheduling number multiple times to get no response. Does anyone know how I can reschedule my pre employment for exam numbers 4110 and 4104?

But honestly, I think they just skip your name the first time if you’re a no show and then automatically reschedule again for another date. they’re not really concerned if it’s a date that works for you or not because that’s the nature of the job, if you have to show up and be ready for work if you’re called no matter what circumstances you have at the time. 

They just give you a 2nd chance and automatically reschedule, if you didn’t show up the first time. After the 2nd or 3rd time of rescheduling and you don’t show up, they knock you off the list and you'll have to re apply. 

On 4/24/2024 at 11:23 AM, DEE123 said:

But honestly, I think they just skip your name the first time if you’re a no show and then automatically reschedule again for another date. they’re not really concerned if it’s a date that works for you or not because that’s the nature of the job, if you have to show up and be ready for work if you’re called no matter what circumstances you have at the time. 

They just give you a 2nd chance and automatically reschedule, if you didn’t show up the first time. After the 2nd or 3rd time of rescheduling and you don’t show up, they knock you off the list and you'll have to re apply. 

hey dee for when you go for the drug test did you wear business casual attire like it states on the pre employment packet or do they not really care? thanks in advance.

33 minutes ago, Longislandguy7545 said:

hey dee for when you go for the drug test did you wear business casual attire like it states on the pre employment packet or do they not really care? thanks in advance.

Business casual means don’t show up to the office in sweatpants and a hoodie or in pajamas like you rolled out of bed, just dress like a decent person. That’s it. Regular jeans and a polo shirt, or dickies and a button down. You don’t even need a tie. If you walk in there with a sweatsuit, they can turn you away. I haven’t seen it happen but it’s not worth the risk. 

4 hours ago, DEE123 said:

Business casual means don’t show up to the office in sweatpants and a hoodie or in pajamas like you rolled out of bed, just dress like a decent person. That’s it. Regular jeans and a polo shirt, or dickies and a button down. You don’t even need a tie. If you walk in there with a sweatsuit, they can turn you away. I haven’t seen it happen but it’s not worth the risk. 

okay. thank you so much for all of your insight on this thread! you've been super helpful!

6 minutes ago, Basemac7 said:

I wanted a BX depot because I live in the BX. So I'll have to commute for now. Hopefully when general pick comes around, I'll be able to get closer. 

Very common, I live in Bronx and had to settle for Fresh Pond Depot. Honestly I like my routes and depot. I take the hit on the tolls but it’s a stress free environment. 

20 hours ago, Jeff868 said:

Very common, I live in Bronx and had to settle for Fresh Pond Depot. Honestly I like my routes and depot. I take the hit on the tolls but it’s a stress free environment. 

well that's good to hear! I am glad you are happy at your depot. that definitely is a huge benefit, especially while on probation. Fresh pond has good lines? 

20 hours ago, Basemac7 said:

I wanted a BX depot because I live in the BX. So I'll have to commute for now. Hopefully when general pick comes around, I'll be able to get closer. 

Yes for sure. hopefully in time you can get into West Farms or kingsbridge. I would like to get into a Manhattan depot but my gut feeling is that you need some seniority to get into one of those depots. hope I'm wrong though

2 hours ago, Longislandguy7545 said:

well that's good to hear! I am glad you are happy at your depot. that definitely is a huge benefit, especially while on probation. Fresh pond has good lines? 

I came in with 15 years commercial driving experience so for me fresh pond is easy but for others the main complaint is that the streets are extremely tight and there’s constant detours due to road work. The depot only has 9 lines so it was very easy to memorize and being that I’m on the extra list it doesn’t drive me crazy since it’s only 9 lines versus depots that have 15+ lines. 

On 4/27/2024 at 9:08 AM, Jeff868 said:

I came in with 15 years commercial driving experience so for me fresh pond is easy but for others the main complaint is that the streets are extremely tight and there’s constant detours due to road work. The depot only has 9 lines so it was very easy to memorize and being that I’m on the extra list it doesn’t drive me crazy since it’s only 9 lines versus depots that have 15+ lines. 

Idc what anybody says, I think baisley park and JFK has the tightest street routes in all of the system. When I was in jfk It was like Every turn you made was a hook turn and you were squeezing between cars all day with millimeters of space between both sides of your bus, and all the no standing anytime zones had cars parked to the crosswalk and they would leave their cars on the crosswalk all day leaving you to do a U turn into the same block all day. Everyday I was driving either another one of my coworkers or a Nassau county bus hit a parked car and it was almost always from the back swing of the bus. Baisley park had to do this with artics.  
on the Q40, when I was going through the residential area, before making any turns, I had to scan ahead every block to make sure a car wasn’t  coming from the other side because both of us wouldn’t be able to fit, and the car would have to back out of the block. In that same turn you had to scan ahead that 4 block stretch before turning to make sure another Q40 bus wasn’t on the other side coming your way because there’s no space to get to the side to let each other through. After I transferred out and went to another depot I felt like I was driving a Honda civic on one of those 5 lane highways in Texas. Thank god I transferred out because idk if I would’ve made probation over there. 

On 4/30/2024 at 5:36 PM, DEE123 said:

Idc what anybody says, I think baisley park and JFK has the tightest street routes in all of the system. When I was in jfk It was like Every turn you made was a hook turn and you were squeezing between cars all day with millimeters of space between both sides of your bus, and all the no standing anytime zones had cars parked to the crosswalk and they would leave their cars on the crosswalk all day leaving you to do a U turn into the same block all day. Everyday I was driving either another one of my coworkers or a Nassau county bus hit a parked car and it was almost always from the back swing of the bus. Baisley park had to do this with artics.  
on the Q40, when I was going through the residential area, before making any turns, I had to scan ahead every block to make sure a car wasn’t  coming from the other side because both of us wouldn’t be able to fit, and the car would have to back out of the block. In that same turn you had to scan ahead that 4 block stretch before turning to make sure another Q40 bus wasn’t on the other side coming your way because there’s no space to get to the side to let each other through. After I transferred out and went to another depot I felt like I was driving a Honda civic on one of those 5 lane highways in Texas. Thank god I transferred out because idk if I would’ve made probation over there. 

where did you go after jfk?