MaBSTOA B/O Exams - No Fee to Apply!! (Open Until Further Notice)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+,

As a friendly reminder, when you submit your online application, you must have either your Class B CDL (Commercial Driver License) or your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner Permit) with the Passenger "P" endorsement. They will run your abstract prior to you reporting for pre-employment, therefore, as long as you have the temporary paper permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles, you will be fine.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement. If you would like and/or need more information into obtaining your Commercial Driver's License (CDL), click here.

When you are ready to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, click here to make a reservation for yourself.

Good luck!!

(Updated 3/19/2024)

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 10/17/2023 at 8:11 PM, DEE123 said:

I’m switching over to OA. Im close to all the Bronx depots, gunhill is walking distance from me and I already know approx 70% of the routes. It would be sweet if I make it there. 

Did you switch over DEE? We still haven't got our results yet. Any word?

• +Young+ changed the title to MaBSTOA B/O Exam # 4114 - No Fee to Apply!!
3 hours ago, Frenchie said:

Yeah same, I got called in as well. I took the test on the sept 21st.

Do you actually get interviewed?

Or do they just want you to fill our paperwork and drug test?

There is no interview. First, you do the drug test. Then, you do the medical and if you pass the medical someone goes over your paperwork and job history. Thanks for the update. Did you guys get a list number?

20 hours ago, Harlem said:

There is no interview. First, you do the drug test. Then, you do the medical and if you pass the medical someone goes over your paperwork and job history. Thanks for the update. Did you guys get a list number?

Ohhh okay copy @Harlem … thanks for the info 🙏🏾… and yeah I received my list number. I forgot… that’s safe to share, right? 

What is that number or info you don’t share because it’s personal to you?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/17/2023 at 7:26 AM, DEE123 said:

So I got some intel, if MTA Bus Calls you first and you take it, but you want mabstoa instead, you can do the 7-10 day initial training with bus company, get your license, start line training. assuming you don’t get into any incidents, you should be ok to transfer over and all you’re gonna need is line training for your new depot. 

Hey @DEE123 I had a quick question on this. I hope all is well with you brother. And appreciate all the info you’ve been sharing. So with you being able to transfer, right; does your seniority transfer with you? Or do you go back to the bottom?

@DEE123 also! On the day of your medical and final processing (fingerprinting, etc).. do they tell you where you will go? Like what location you will report to for training? 

Or would that be on a separate day or from a email?

And how long should I expect to be there for the day? …… day 1 I was there like 10hrs for no reason lol.

8 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

Hey @DEE123 I had a quick question on this. I hope all is well with you brother. And appreciate all the info you’ve been sharing. So with you being able to transfer, right; does your seniority transfer with you? Or do you go back to the bottom?

2 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

@DEE123 also! On the day of your medical and final processing (fingerprinting, etc).. do they tell you where you will go? Like what location you will report to for training? 

And how long should I expect to be there for the day? …… day 1 I was there like 10hrs for no reason lol.

If you transfer, your seniority in the new depot starts at the bottom. At least that’s the way it is in MTA Bus company. 

On your medical date you will not know where you’re going unless you’re MTA bus because on the medical paperwork it will say either TWU 100 or ATU JFK on top of your name. The day of graduation from Zerega, they tell you what’s available and you get to pick only what is available at that time. You only get 3 choices. If they can’t accommodate the first choice then they will give you the 2nd or 3rd. 

You always report for training day 1 at Zerega. You will get paid for 8 hours, that will be your first day of appointment. You will be there for 8 hours filling out paperwork which will be in your permanent file forever. You must purchase and wear a powder blue shirt with a black clip on tie, or regular black tie. A navy blue or black work pants such as dickies or dockers, any pair of oil and slip resistant shoes, (I got a basic pair from the sketchers outlet store for $65.00) just make sure they are slip AND oil resistant. Also a watch. Very important because they will check. I bought a 12 dollar Casio watch from Amazon. 
make sure you bring every single document with you. If you have a permit bring your permit AND your Class D license. If you’re from out of state I think you need to buy a driver’s abstract and bring that with you also. 

24 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

I would like to add that if you do not come prepared and are missing a document or part of your uniform they will tell you to resign and go to 180 Livingston to try and be reinstated to the next class. 

2 hours ago, DEE123 said:

If you transfer, your seniority in the new depot starts at the bottom. At least that’s the way it is in MTA Bus company. 

On your medical date you will not know where you’re going unless you’re MTA bus because on the medical paperwork it will say either TWU 100 or ATU JFK on top of your name. The day of graduation from Zerega, they tell you what’s available and you get to pick only what is available at that time. You only get 3 choices. If they can’t accommodate the first choice then they will give you the 2nd or 3rd. 

You always report for training day 1 at Zerega. You will get paid for 8 hours, that will be your first day of appointment. You will be there for 8 hours filling out paperwork which will be in your permanent file forever. You must purchase and wear a powder blue shirt with a black clip on tie, or regular black tie. A navy blue or black work pants such as dickies or dockers, any pair of oil and slip resistant shoes, (I got a basic pair from the sketchers outlet store for $65.00) just make sure they are slip AND oil resistant. Also a watch. Very important because they will check. I bought a 12 dollar Casio watch from Amazon. 
make sure you bring every single document with you. If you have a permit bring your permit AND your Class D license. If you’re from out of state I think you need to buy a driver’s abstract and bring that with you also. 

Ohhh wow okay, I see. Thanks man for the speedy response! And yeah, I’m with MaBSTOA. Thank you for the heads up and additional info.

What is the start time at Zerega? (Ex. 6am / 7am / 8am)

I would like to add that if you do not come prepared and are missing a document or part of your uniform they will tell you to resign and go to 180 Livingston to try and be reinstated to the next class. 

@DEE123 Sheeesh lol. That’s crazy. But I completely understand, they want no nonsense. When I went for my pre employment recently, it was a lot of people knowing darn well they were not prepared to be there that day. So I see why the MTA moves the way they move, unfortunately.

But as for you man, how’s the on the job life going?

Any pointers for learning and remembering the depot routes quickly?

18 minutes ago, Frenchie said:

@DEE123 Sheeesh lol. That’s crazy. But I completely understand, they want no nonsense. When I went for my pre employment recently, it was a lot of people knowing darn well they were not prepared to be there that day. So I see why the MTA moves the way they move, unfortunately.

But as for you man, how’s the on the job life going?

Any pointers for learning and remembering the depot routes quickly?

I made a mistake when I wrote “you pick your depot in graduation.” You pick your depot and find out where you’re gonna wind up right after you qualify for the job. You will start line training after day you qualify.  After about 3 weeks of line training Is when you will graduate. 
my advice is the day you find out what depot you’re gonna be in, which is before you even get your license from eastchester, drive the lines in your personal car as many times as you can using the transit app or google maps. Write down simple index cards with the turn by turns. Take notes when your line trainers are dead heading back to the depot from the end of the route. Eventually you will get clues and realize where everything interlines and you wouldn’t get lost. Take your line training very serious. You’ll be ok if you do that. But your best bet is to drive all the lines with your personal car on your days off and write index cards each turn you’ll be making so when you are driving with your line trainer, you’ll be ahead of the game. 
your depot also gives official turn by turn instructions and dead heading instructions. On general information day you should have it ready. Make copies and do all the deadheads that way. Trust me you’re gonna make the wrong turns. It’s best you do it in your personal car than on the bus and trying to call comment and telling them you messed up. 

personally I’m not really liking the job. I’m in jfk it’s very rough because I have never been in that area in my life. I find south queens very confusing. I wish I took my line training more serious so don’t be like me. 

45 minutes ago, DEE123 said:Trust me you’re gonna make the wrong turns. It’s best you do it in your personal car than on the bus and trying to call comment and telling them you messed up. 

It’s best you make the wrong turns in your personal car than inside a bus because the second you realize you went off route you will need to stop and call the command center. The auto correct messed me up. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/14/2023 at 7:09 PM, DEE123 said:

I made a mistake when I wrote “you pick your depot in graduation.” You pick your depot and find out where you’re gonna wind up right after you qualify for the job. You will start line training after day you qualify.  After about 3 weeks of line training Is when you will graduate. 
my advice is the day you find out what depot you’re gonna be in, which is before you even get your license from eastchester, drive the lines in your personal car as many times as you can using the transit app or google maps. Write down simple index cards with the turn by turns. Take notes when your line trainers are dead heading back to the depot from the end of the route. Eventually you will get clues and realize where everything interlines and you wouldn’t get lost. Take your line training very serious. You’ll be ok if you do that. But your best bet is to drive all the lines with your personal car on your days off and write index cards each turn you’ll be making so when you are driving with your line trainer, you’ll be ahead of the game. 
your depot also gives official turn by turn instructions and dead heading instructions. On general information day you should have it ready. Make copies and do all the deadheads that way. Trust me you’re gonna make the wrong turns. It’s best you do it in your personal car than on the bus and trying to call comment and telling them you messed up. 

personally I’m not really liking the job. I’m in jfk it’s very rough because I have never been in that area in my life. I find south queens very confusing. I wish I took my line training more serious so don’t be like me. 

@DEE123 oh wow. Sorry for the late reply. I start this Sunday on Dec 3rd. I am definitely taking this all into consideration. Of course, assuming I make it through each stage in the process. Thank you a lot for taking the time out to share.

When it comes to having index cards or even the turn by turn instructions the depot provides. Are you allowed to reference this information while on duty on the route? (For ex. If you forget what you’re supposed to do ahead and you’re at a bus stop offloading and onboarding new passengers (of course, confirming beforehand each passenger is secured on the bus) … Can you look at the turn by turn instructions paper in those moments before pulling out the bus stop?)

And yeah, Queens has definitely always been confusing for sure. I’m hoping things have gotten easier since our last messaging. Also, were you able to pick out of Queens? Since I hear it’s pick season.

2 hours ago, Frenchie said:

@DEE123 oh wow. Sorry for the late reply. I start this Sunday on Dec 3rd. I am definitely taking this all into consideration. Of course, assuming I make it through each stage in the process. Thank you a lot for taking the time out to share.

When it comes to having index cards or even the turn by turn instructions the depot provides. Are you allowed to reference this information while on duty on the route? (For ex. If you forget what you’re supposed to do ahead and you’re at a bus stop offloading and onboarding new passengers (of course, confirming beforehand each passenger is secured on the bus) … Can you look at the turn by turn instructions paper in those moments before pulling out the bus stop?)

And yeah, Queens has definitely always been confusing for sure. I’m hoping things have gotten easier since our last messaging. Also, were you able to pick out of Queens? Since I hear it’s pick season.

You have to be parked at a bus stop with your parking brake up and you cannot have papers lying around on your dashboard I know at my depot I can get written up for that. I keep my papers in my pocket and What I do is I remember 3 things at a time and imbed it into my head and then by the 3rd turn I go back and refer to my notes and embed the next 3 turns in my head. I’m telling you if you drive these routes in your personal car the day you find out what depot you’re going to you won’t have any issues.  

36 minutes ago, DEE123 said:

You have to be parked at a bus stop with your parking brake up and you cannot have papers lying around on your dashboard I know at my depot I can get written up for that. I keep my papers in my pocket and What I do is I remember 3 things at a time and imbed it into my head and then by the 3rd turn I go back and refer to my notes and embed the next 3 turns in my head. I’m telling you if you drive these routes in your personal car the day you find out what depot you’re going to you won’t have any issues.  

Copyyy. Appreciate you fam! 🙏🏾… and yeah I know having papers on the dash in general, is a DOT violation. So it makes sense that MTA will deem it as a write up. But again man, thank you 💪🏾

14 hours ago, Frenchie said:

@DEE123 Also, if you google Nike ACG goadome boots. Do they accept these boots as well for training? That’s what I have.

Yeah that should be fine while you’re in Zerega and line training, but by graduation you should have a link from the union to get shoes. You will get 2 free pairs and Transit wants you to pick from the shoes they provide, if you wear the ACG’s while driving, you can get written up if you get a spotter on your bus. God forbid you get into an accident, the first thing they will do is look at your shoes even if the accident wasn’t your fault. 

Yeah that should be fine while you’re in Zerega and line training, but by graduation you should have a link from the union to get shoes. You will get 2 free pairs and Transit wants you to pick from the shoes they provide, if you wear the ACG’s while driving, you can get written up if you get a spotter on your bus. God forbid you get into an accident, the first thing they will do is look at your shoes even if the accident wasn’t your fault. 

Wow that’s crazy. Okay got you 👌🏾

• +Young+ changed the title to MaBSTOA B/O Exam # 4115 - No Fee to Apply!!
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2023 at 11:38 AM, Jeff868 said:

Hello everyone, does anyone know more or less how long before you get exam results? I took the Mabstoa exam #4112 on October 30th and was just curios of the time frame. Thanks again! 

Almost all the exams I took I actually got an email from 180 Livingston to show up for day 1 of processing and then I got the envelope from the mail telling me my list number but I scored high on the exams.