MaBSTOA B/O Exams - No Fee to Apply!! (Open Until Further Notice)

+Young+
Message added by +Young+,

As a friendly reminder, when you submit your online application, you must have either your Class B CDL (Commercial Driver License) or your Class B CLP (Commercial Learner Permit) with the Passenger "P" endorsement. They will run your abstract prior to you reporting for pre-employment, therefore, as long as you have the temporary paper permit from the Department of Motor Vehicles, you will be fine.

If you need help getting your Class B Commercial Learner's Permit (CLP), I would encourage you to check out cristcdl.com. Remember, the multiple-choice exams that you need to take and pass, at minimum, are General Knowledge, Air Brakes and Passenger Endorsement. If you would like and/or need more information into obtaining your Commercial Driver's License (CDL), click here.

When you are ready to go to the Department of Motor Vehicles, click here to make a reservation for yourself.

Good luck!!

(Updated 3/19/2024)

On 2/23/2024 at 9:55 AM, Jeff868 said:

The class went today. I stayed behind to continue training at MTV depot. I have my CDL so I didn’t have to go. 

Yeah most likely some time mid week then. I remember going to nova bus training at mtv on a Friday, then the following week was 2 days at Zerega followed by union day. Local 100 gets fitted for uniforms on union day. 

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/23/2024 at 9:55 AM, Jeff868 said:

The class went today. I stayed behind to continue training at MTV depot. I have my CDL so I didn’t have to go. 

in the two days at Zerega, I think the first day is customer service day and then the 2nd day is some state mandated class where you watch a bunch of videos. Some time in those two days, you’ll get the choice of what depot is available for pick in seniority order. After the 2nd day at Zerega its usually union day where you’ll get your uniforms. You won’t need to go to eastchester at all

31 minutes ago, DEE123 said:

Yeah most likely some time mid week then. I remember going to nova bus training at mtv on a Friday, then the following week was 2 days at Zerega followed by union day. Local 100 gets fitted for uniforms on union day. 

Copy! Thanks!

• +Young+ changed the title to MaBSTOA B/O Exams - No Fee to Apply!! (Open Until Further Notice)

Today I got to pick my depot but the only options were Fresh Pond and Ulmer Park which sucks big time for me since I live in the Bronx and I’m OA. My preference would’ve definitely been to stay close to home and or not to pay tolls. Being that I’d have to cross a bridge it’s harder for me to even practice my routes if need be. 

8 hours ago, Jeff868 said:

Today I got to pick my depot but the only options were Fresh Pond and Ulmer Park which sucks big time for me since I live in the Bronx and I’m OA. My preference would’ve definitely been to stay close to home and or not to pay tolls. Being that I’d have to cross a bridge it’s harder for me to even practice my routes if need be. 

I recommend you Start practicing all the routes by looking at all the turns on the google maps street view and the transit app over and over and over like at least 5 times a day for each route, and keeping the landmarks in mind, and write them down. For Example:

Right South conduit (BP Gas Station) 

service 3 bus stops immediately get on the left lane after the 3rd bus stop on 130th Ave

Left on Myrtle (Pioneer Supermarket)

I don’t recommend relying on your line trainers, because you might not remember if you only did a certain route once, and now it’s 2 months later and you’re being told by the dispatcher to do the exact route that you don’t remember or even done before in line training, yeah you’re probably not going to have training on all the routes by the time you graduate, you might be unlucky and get the same route like 7 times, this happened with me. 

Another problem is the turn by turn route instructions paper NYC Transit made, can have mistakes on them. I have been on routes where I tried using the official route instructions paper, and I went off route because NYC Transit failed to add that particular turn on the paper. 

When you’re on your own, you’ll most likely be on the extra list and there are going to be days that you won’t know what route you’re doing that day until you report to the window and they give you a run, and then tell you to start immediately, if you use google maps and can take good notes, from today, it will save you a lot of anxiety, when you’re alone trust me. 

In December you’re gonna have a choice to transfer to a depot closer to your house. Idk how that works. 

2 hours ago, DEE123 said:

I recommend you Start practicing all the routes by looking at all the turns on the google maps street view and the transit app over and over and over like at least 5 times a day for each route, and keeping the landmarks in mind, and write them down. For Example:

Right South conduit (BP Gas Station) 

service 3 bus stops immediately get on the left lane after the 3rd bus stop on 130th Ave

Left on Myrtle (Pioneer Supermarket)

I don’t recommend relying on your line trainers, because you might not remember if you only did a certain route once, and now it’s 2 months later and you’re being told by the dispatcher to do the exact route that you don’t remember or even done before in line training, yeah you’re probably not going to have training on all the routes by the time you graduate, you might be unlucky and get the same route like 7 times, this happened with me. 

Another problem is the turn by turn route instructions paper NYC Transit made, can have mistakes on them. I have been on routes where I tried using the official route instructions paper, and I went off route because NYC Transit failed to add that particular turn on the paper. 

When you’re on your own, you’ll most likely be on the extra list and there are going to be days that you won’t know what route you’re doing that day until you report to the window and they give you a run, and then tell you to start immediately, if you use google maps and can take good notes, from today, it will save you a lot of anxiety, when you’re alone trust me. 

In December you’re gonna have a choice to transfer to a depot closer to your house. Idk how that works. 

I really appreciate your help every time I have a question or concern! Salute 🫡. That’s some solid advice! 

56 minutes ago, Jeff868 said:

I really appreciate your help every time I have a question or concern! Salute 🫡. That’s some solid advice! 

To add on to this, if you are in doubt, STOP, call console and ask for help. You don’t want to take it upon yourself and go off route and then something happens. I had one operator miss a turn and was finding his way around. On the street before getting back on route, he hits a parked car. He didn’t call console prior to going off route. I had responded to the accident and I was only 5 mins away. (Meaning the whole accident could have been avoided)

If you know your way around, call and just say you’re off route for whatever reason and you’re detouring. They will tell you detour safely and this way, you’re covered for being off route. 

On days where you get runs (assuming you’re XL) with long swings, go ride the routes.

In general, tough it out for the first year. You will be up and down with the scheduling if you’re on the list. The first pick is in a month or so, so if you’re able to pick a run, do so to at least get yourself a schedule. You’ll be able to change depots at the end of the year.

It’s a great job, don’t take everything personal. If you’re not here for the money or pension, then you’re definitely staying  for the benefits. It’s an easy job most days. Use common sense when driving. If you’re interested in moving up, study for and take the next OA Dispatcher exam. You need 3 years as an operator and being that you’re OA, you’ll be able to work in Manhattan and The Bronx as a dispatcher.

And again, if you have questions, ask for help.

Good luck!

On 2/27/2024 at 8:21 AM, SevenEleven said:

To add on to this, if you are in doubt, STOP, call console and ask for help. You don’t want to take it upon yourself and go off route and then something happens. I had one operator miss a turn and was finding his way around. On the street before getting back on route, he hits a parked car. He didn’t call console prior to going off route. I had responded to the accident and I was only 5 mins away. (Meaning the whole accident could have been avoided)

If you know your way around, call and just say you’re off route for whatever reason and you’re detouring. They will tell you detour safely and this way, you’re covered for being off route. 

On days where you get runs (assuming you’re XL) with long swings, go ride the routes.

In general, tough it out for the first year. You will be up and down with the scheduling if you’re on the list. The first pick is in a month or so, so if you’re able to pick a run, do so to at least get yourself a schedule. You’ll be able to change depots at the end of the year.

It’s a great job, don’t take everything personal. If you’re not here for the money or pension, then you’re definitely staying  for the benefits. It’s an easy job most days. Use common sense when driving. If you’re interested in moving up, study for and take the next OA Dispatcher exam. You need 3 years as an operator and being that you’re OA, you’ll be able to work in Manhattan and The Bronx as a dispatcher.

And again, if you have questions, ask for help.

Good luck!

Being from the Bronx, and working in another depot that served queens and Brooklyn was the biggest culture shock for me ever. The roads I had to drive on were ridiculously tight, on top of that, some people would just park their cars on the crosswalk and leave the car there overnight leaving you with inches of space on both sides, if that. Everybody disobeys the no standing anytime sign on the corner of the block, and leaves their car on the corner 24 hours on the day, overnight, they don’t care, some people double park on the corner where it’s a no standing zone and abandon their cars just so they can go to the deli to buy a bacon egg and cheese, and they will see that you need to get through, but they don’t care, and will keep their car parked anyway. People would deliberately park their cars in the middle of the street and block you while sitting in the drivers seat waiting for their passenger to finish with whatever they were doing,  hoping that you would try to squeeze through so they can get a new paint job on their car, these people don’t care that you’re behind them even if you blow your horn for like 15 minutes straight.

It doesn’t matter if you’re in route, and you feel you might make contact with another car or object it doesn’t matter how many of your coworkers have already made those turns, just call it in and wait for instructions. It happened with me literally every other day, and I don’t care especially on probation. Don’t worry about the passengers, let them curse you out, I have seen with my own two eyes, an express bus try to make a tight turn, and made contact with another express bus that was sitting at a bus stop. He shattered like 5 of his windows and knocked the other buses bumper off, just because he was trying to get the passengers to their destination on time, and what winded up happening was the passengers instantly vanished from the bus and walked away looking for other options to get to work not even 30 seconds after the incident happened every passenger left the bus and found another way to get to work. If that happens to you on probation you’d probably get fired. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 2/21/2024 at 4:26 PM, SMG610 said:

I received the same appointment text. Brooklyn, early march. Must have a cdl or permit, for an information session. I applied in December i believe.  Do you know what restrictions would be considered disqualifying?

On 2/22/2024 at 12:11 PM, Basemac7 said:

Important: You must have either a valid (non-expired) Class A or Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) or a valid (non-expired) Class A or B CDL Permit valid in the State of New York with a passenger endorsement and no airbrake or other disqualifying restrictions. Only candidates with the above license/permit will be canvassed and considered for the position. If you meet the qualifications to become a Bus Operator, you may be provided with a pre-employment package and a date to begin your pre-employment process and drug testing

My apologies for being late with the reply, however, if you were to look at the bottom of the second page of this PDF document, some of the "disqualifying" restrictions would be the following:

-L Restriction (meaning you cannot operate a vehicle with air brakes)

-N Restriction (meaning you can only operate a Class C CDL vehicle)

-N1 or N2 Restrictions

-S1 Restriction (click here for more information)

-Z Restriction (meaning you took a road test in a vehicle which has both hydraulic and air brakes)

From looking at the bottom of the second page of the same PDF document, some of the "acceptable" restrictions are:

-A3 Restriction (the folks at the Medical Assessment Center [MAC] take care of your medical)

-B Restriction (stating that you have to wear glasses or contacts)

-E Restriction (all of the Buses have automatic transmissions)

-K Restriction (you're allowed to operate the bus within New York State only)

-M Restriction (This is for those who successfully took a road test in a tractor trailer and a bus, since nobody can legally transport people in a Class A vehicle, with the exception of a tram used for either tour or parking lot purposes.)

Good luck!!

Edited by +Young+
Clarification

On 2/17/2024 at 9:49 PM, Basemac7 said:

Update. I received an appointment to come in for a information session for bus operator in March.  This is for 4115 

Has anyone heard of this or been to one of these?

i received an appointment to come in for an information session in April at 149 Pierrepont Street. what was your experience and what does it entail since there's evidently no more exam.

On 3/22/2024 at 2:24 AM, Basemac7 said:

It's to verify you have your CDL and fill out few forms. After that your given the application packet and an appointment date to come back for the drug test.

okay, thanks a lot! besides having the CDL what else are you required to bring? and also, what's the parking situation like near 149 pierrepont? is there a garage nearby for parking or is it all street, metered parking? 

12 hours ago, Longislandguy7545 said:

okay, thanks a lot! besides having the CDL what else are you required to bring? and also, what's the parking situation like near 149 pierrepont? is there a garage nearby for parking or is it all street, metered parking? 

The new building is on a street that has metered parking but I still would not recommend driving there as it is still in the proximity of Fulton Mall/Downtown area

13 hours ago, SoSpectacular said:

The new building is on a street that has metered parking but I still would not recommend driving there as it is still in the proximity of Fulton Mall/Downtown area

okay, thank you for the info! i will consider taking the train there. i will be coming from Nassau County, Long Island.

On 2/22/2024 at 12:11 PM, Basemac7 said:

Important: You must have either a valid (non-expired) Class A or Class B Commercial Driver License (CDL) or a valid (non-expired) Class A or B CDL Permit valid in the State of New York with a passenger endorsement and no airbrake or other disqualifying restrictions. Only candidates with the above license/permit will be canvassed and considered for the position. If you meet the qualifications to become a Bus Operator, you may be provided with a pre-employment package and a date to begin your pre-employment process and drug testing

can it be a paper copy of the permit and does it have to be hard copy?

On 3/26/2024 at 7:52 PM, Longislandguy7545 said:

can it be a paper copy of the permit and does it have to be hard copy?

Your paper copy, also known as your "temporary" permit, will "temporarily" suffice until you receive the hard copy in the mail from Albany.

3 hours ago, Basemac7 said:

Not sure, maybe someone else on the thread can confirm that. They will ask to see your permit tho. 

Keep in mind that, for residents of New York State, they will run your abstract as well. Therefore, even if you have your paper copy of the permit, as I previously stated, it will suffice.