Train Operator Exam # 4605 (Open-Competitive)

1 hour ago, Rashane24 said:

How was the test? , am taking it tomorrow 

It’s all reading comprehension and simple math along with common sense. I read the answers first then the question, that worked for me. Other than that it’s 60 questions. 

As for parking, I can only speak for James Madison HS.  I took the conductor test there last month and the parking was bad near the school and I had to park several blocks away in a residential area.  Where are you scheduled to take the test?

Track maps were difficult.  I am not sure how I did as the questions were tricky and in my opinion,  there was not enough time to recheck my answers.  I ended up going right up to the final bell.  I don't know how some people got up and left after an hour unless they just gave up and filled in the dots eeney, meeney, miney, moe.   Perhaps they were just very intelligent.

10 hours ago, vance said:

Track maps were difficult.  I am not sure how I did as the questions were tricky and in my opinion,  there was not enough time to recheck my answers.  I ended up going right up to the final bell.  I don't know how some people got up and left after an hour unless they just gave up and filled in the dots eeney, meeney, miney, moe.   Perhaps they were just very intelligent.

Nah, they were careless. They didn’t double check anything. 

10 hours ago, vance said:

On the questions with the maps, you had to do process of elimination, and I found out that they weren’t even trying to make it hard for us. It was just hard for me to keep going back and fourth and I kept losing track of what I was reading on the question, and my place on the track so by the time I figured out how to deal with the questions, I only had like 10 minutes left on the exam and each question took like 5 minutes to figure out,  So I’m sure I only got one of those right. On The rest of the questions I just put random answers because the clock was winding down to the last 3 minutes and I know I didn’t have a chance to answer the last 4. If I got any of those 4 right it was out of luck. 

on the last exam in 2016, everyone that got 5-6 questions wrong on the test (90-92%) had a list number of 2000-2500. That’s a long time to wait get called, about 4-5 years this time around. The demand for train operators isn’t going to be as much as 2016’s exam. I guess I’ll stay a bus operator by the time trains calls me I’ll probably already have taken the dispatcher exam and got promoted lol

13 hours ago, vance said:

I saw someone got up in 45 minutes think I was at question 17….am like shit…do you have a cheat code are something 

4 hours ago, DEE123 said:

On the questions with the maps, you had to do process of elimination, and I found out that they weren’t even trying to make it hard for us. It was just hard for me to keep going back and fourth and I kept losing track of what I was reading on the question, and my place on the track so by the time I figured out how to deal with the questions, I only had like 10 minutes left on the exam and each question took like 5 minutes to figure out,  So I’m sure I only got one of those right. On The rest of the questions I just put random answers because the clock was winding down to the last 3 minutes and I know I didn’t have a chance to answer the last 4. If I got any of those 4 right it was out of luck. 

on the last exam in 2016, everyone that got 5-6 questions wrong on the test (90-92%) had a list number of 2000-2500. That’s a long time to wait get called, about 4-5 years this time around. The demand for train operators isn’t going to be as much as 2016’s exam. I guess I’ll stay a bus operator by the time trains calls me I’ll probably already have taken the dispatcher exam and got promoted lol

The written exam is only the first step in the hiring process.  You can bet that even though a lot of people scored higher than us,  quite a few will not get past the medical, drug test , criminal background check, etc.  There is also a substantial number who did not even show up for the exam and also some who will turn down the job offer.  Do not despair!

1 hour ago, vance said:

The written exam is only the first step in the hiring process.  You can bet that even though a lot of people scored higher than us,  quite a few will not get past the medical, drug test , criminal background check, etc.  There is also a substantial number who did not even show up for the exam and also some who will turn down the job offer.  Do not despair!

Nah it’s gonna be a very long time. 

4 hours ago, Steve said:

How dose this exam compare to the Conductor?

I would say the conductor exam was tougher due to the memory part that they gave us in the beginning.  I also saw a couple of repeat questions on   the  TO exam that were also on the conductor exam.  In my opinion there was not enough time allotted to finish either exam.  I felt very rushed.  There were 60 questions on both tests.  The TO exam was 2 1/2 hours long. That comes out to a total of 150 minutes...divide that by 60 questions and that comes out to 5 minutes for each question.  That may sound adequate but it was very time consuming trying to make heads or tails with the track diagram questions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/20/2024 at 5:42 PM, vance said:

I would say the conductor exam was tougher due to the memory part that they gave us in the beginning.  I also saw a couple of repeat questions on   the  TO exam that were also on the conductor exam.  In my opinion there was not enough time allotted to finish either exam.  I felt very rushed.  There were 60 questions on both tests.  The TO exam was 2 1/2 hours long. That comes out to a total of 150 minutes...divide that by 60 questions and that comes out to 5 minutes for each question.  That may sound adequate but it was very time consuming trying to make heads or tails with the track diagram questions.

Need to correct myself.  There 60 questions on the T/O exam and 80 questions on the conductor exam.