Railfanning on NYC Trip

Hello!

Next month I'll be traveling to NYC for a few days (arriving in the afternoon on the 6th, leaving in the afternoon on the 11th). Since my first trip to NYC earlier in the year, I've become fascinated with the subway system, especially the signalling/interlocking systems. Does anyone have any suggestions of good times/places for railfanning, either large visible interlockings, or where I might get the chance to see the fabled R211, or places that would be interesting for some other reason? Are there any lines that would be interesting to ride just for the sake of riding it, perhaps because of how quickly it moves or for newer rolling stock?

Additionally, are there any MTA rules or anything that I should be aware of regarding railfanning, beyond the obvious things like not trespassing into yards, don't go on the tracks, etc.?

Thanks!

If you are coming in by plane I'd recommend taking either the E train or the A train if coming in to JFK.  They are both long rides that hit up some of what you are looking for, plus it saves on a taxi.  The A has the R211 but it'll take luck to find it.  The E moves pretty fast through Queens and goes through a number of interlockings.  That said, you don't really get to see much.  If coming from LGA you can also take the Q70 bus to catch the E/F/M/R/7.  Maybe not the M, as the 63rd St tunnel will be closed.  One large complex that you could see would be at Broadway Junction, where a lot of lines come together, some no longer existing, but all the trackways are still there and you are on a platform up high looking down.  You really can't see much underground anymore without the rail fan window.

Other than that though, just use the subway to get around.  You don't say where you're staying or where you'll be going once here, but there's lots of opportunity to ride.

5 hours ago, SelflessPotato said:

Hello!

Next month I'll be traveling to NYC for a few days (arriving in the afternoon on the 6th, leaving in the afternoon on the 11th). Since my first trip to NYC earlier in the year, I've become fascinated with the subway system, especially the signalling/interlocking systems. Does anyone have any suggestions of good times/places for railfanning, either large visible interlockings, or where I might get the chance to see the fabled R211, or places that would be interesting for some other reason? Are there any lines that would be interesting to ride just for the sake of riding it, perhaps because of how quickly it moves or for newer rolling stock?

Additionally, are there any MTA rules or anything that I should be aware of regarding railfanning, beyond the obvious things like not trespassing into yards, don't go on the tracks, etc.?

Thanks!

Recommended railfanning sites imo:

• Smith-9th Street (F)(G)  
  • Queensboro Plaza (7)(N)(W) 
  • Aqueduct racetrack (A) (you’ll most likely see the brand new R211’s here)
  • West 8th Street New York Aquarium (F)(Q) 
  • 125th Street (1) 

15 minutes ago, Chris89292 said:

Recommended railfanning sites imo:

• Smith-9th Street (F)(G)  
  • Queensboro Plaza (7)(N)(W) 
  • Aqueduct racetrack (A) (you’ll most likely see the brand new R211’s here)
  • West 8th Street New York Aquarium (F)(Q) 
  • 125th Street (1) 

I railfanned between Stillwell and West 8th in June. I got to see some Q trains pass by where I was at. 46s 68s and 68As.

16 hours ago, SelflessPotato said:

Hello!

Thanks!

Myrtle-Broadway is a good place to start

My recommendations (some of which have already been mentioned):

-Broadway Junction (A)(C)(J)(L)(Z). Insane junction with a lot of abandoned infrastructure. It can be neat to have the top-down view from the (L) platform.

-Queensboro Plaza (7)(N)(W). Like B-way Junction, it's an elevated junction with a ton of abandoned infrastructure. Also only place with a cross platform transfer between A and B division subway trains

-Ride the (E) out to Jamacia Center(E)(J)(Z). While underground, these stations have a unique design from the 80s and the (E) can reach insane speeds on Queens Boulevard.

-Second Avenue Subway (Q) or 34th St Hudson Yards (7) if you want a sense of what new overbuilt NYC subway stations look like

-I always find riding the Pelham Line (6) far out into the Bronx interesting. Lots of different turns and somewhat hilly; good views as well.

-Coney Island Stillwell Av (D)(F)(N)(Q). If you go on the overpass structure that connects the platforms, you have a great view of the 8-track terminal station. Massive railyards nearby as well, though you can't really see them from within the station.

-Chambers St on the (J)(Z). It used to be huge hub, but today only 2 of the 5 platforms are used, and its generally kind of an overbuilt and creepy (but not dangerous) station.

Honestly, a lot of the most impressive junctions are underground and can't really be seen from stations or from within the subway car. Most of the elevated lines nowadays are just branch lines. However, you can experience a bad junction, take a Flatbush Avenue bound (5) through Rodgers Junction in Brooklyn or a Bronx-bound (5) train through 149th St junction which has this awful curve,

I've never had a problem with loitering/railfanning in the NYC subway; no one cares if you take photos are videos what not so long as they aren't clearly targeted at an individual person.

Rush-hours are when there will be the largest quantity of trains out and running. Weekend service tends to be significantly reduced so you might just see fewer trains when railfanning.

Do note there's a relative lack of restrooms on the subway, but the few I've used have been better than I expected considering it's the NYC subway. The city generally lacks public restrooms, so if you're out you might have to hold it for a while or go into a store and buy something to use the restroom.

NYC_full_trackmap (vanshnookenraggen.com)

Here's a detailed track map that can help you figure out where you want to go

20 hours ago, zacster said:

That said, you don't really get to see much.  If coming from LGA you can also take the Q70 bus to catch the E/F/M/R/7.

I'll be flying into KLGA. I'll be headed to a hotel in the financial district, so seems like the R would be a good bet to get me right where I need to go. Looks like those should all take me right past Sunnyside Yard, too, for a bit of Amtrak action.

Seems like a lot of people are suggesting Coney Island, which is definitely somewhere I was thinking about, especially with the Coney Island and Stillwell yards right nearby that I might be able to catch a glimpse of. Seems like Broadway Junction and Queensboro Plaza are also common thoughts between people. I should have plenty of free time on the weekend to explore and see what's around, albeit with the reduced service.

5 hours ago, ABCDEFGJLMNQRSSSWZ said:

Honestly, a lot of the most impressive junctions are underground and can't really be seen from stations or from within the subway car.

I figured this would probably be the case, unfortunately. But I'm sure I'll find plenty to see regardless!

Thank you for all the suggestions, I look forward to finding some of them next month!

Here are some extra suggestions I have yet to see which is surprising, but this gives me the chance to say something.

Keep in mind, a lot of my suggestions involve West End and South Brooklyn and I grew up there so I have my biases:

• 9 Av (D) and with it's infrastructure and the way it was built makes it one of the most unique stations in the NYCT. You got the curve to/from Fort Hamilton Parkway station with trains coming in from an elevated point descending towards the station and even more descending heading towards 36 St on the opposite side for a nice higher ground view of the top of the trains. A bunch of trees on one side with a peek at the 38 St yard and garbage trains on the other side along with yard leads on the Manhattan bound side of the station. Even going to/from the 9 Av station gives it that extra uniqueness. I also recommend standing on 4 Av and 38 St street level for trains heading in and out of 36 st station.
  • 62 St/New Utrecht Av (D)(N) is a cool one, you can view (N) trains coming in and out of New Utrecht Av station at the 62 St platform and vice versa with (D) trains (mainly just Manhattan bound) viewed from the New Utrecht Platform. It's even more cool when accounting for the fact that one station is elevated and the other being open cut while being connected by a bridge.
  • 18 Av, 20 Av, 25 Av, and Bay 50 St (D) stations are mainly stations that have a curve at the end of it, but nice long shots.
    • 18 Av station has a nice view with curves on both end giving a long view of Manhattan skylines and trains coming in and out. 18 Av is my favorite because trains can go in and out rather quickly especially coming from turns.
    • 20 Av is a nice shot of Bay Parkway not being far and long shot of the curve coming from 18 Av and a long shot of 86 St and a rather nice sunset if you're out by that point.
    • 25 Av is another station similar to 20 Av, but with the curve being next to the station and a nice long shot view of the Ave X (F) station.
    • Bay 50 St with extra stuff going on with it, second to last stop and a partial view of Coney Island station, long shot view of Manhattan skylines, and yard leads with yard moves. Depending on the time of day and day of the week maybe, you can see moves happening like a rush hour NIS deadhead put-in of an (R) train to 36 St, among other moves happening. 
  • Ocean Parkway/Brighton Beach (Q)/(B)(Q) respectivally. 
    • Ocean Parkway for the nice view of trains coming in and out from both sides, Coney side with (Q) trains coming or going along a higher elevated structure, and Manhattan side with a wide area, express, local, and 2 layup tracks. Sometimes there will be a (B) train that will be on one of those layups.
    • Brighton Beach for a nice curve on the Manhattan Bound side as well as last stop for (B) trains and along the Coney side of yet again the wide area between both Ocean Parkway and Brighton beach.
  • Newkirk Plaza (B)(Q) station along Brighton, mainly pointing this station out because of its skinny platform at one end of the station which gives you some really nice actions between both the (B) and (Q), given you got the timing right.
  • Astoria Blvd (N)(W) has that view of the RFK bridge, the Grand Central Parkway highway, and views of Ditmars Blvd and Hells Gate viaduct or bridge or whatever you call it with a nice arch over the terminal.

These are pretty much all the stuff I got from personal experience, if you ever do get the chance to visit some, I hope it is worth your while.

• 2 weeks later...