Newark to Howard Beach

Ganesh

Hi friends. I and my wife are 72 years old, and we need to lug one largish wheeled suitcase and a carry on each from Newark to JFK. I travel by PATH to WTC subway, walk to WTC-Cortlandt subway, and take the A line. My question is - how easy is it to walk across from WTC to WTC-Cortlandt? Are there any steps to negotiate?

To clarify, WTC - Cortlandt is a (1) line station (pretty much the one right in front of the PATH, but honestly I've never paid attention to where the escalators are relative to it). If you want the (A) that is a much longer walk within the complex to the Chambers Street or Fulton Street stations. I know there's a lot of escalators throughout the complex but I'm not sure if it is completely stair-free.

11 hours ago, Ganesh said:

Hi friends. I and my wife are 72 years old, and we need to lug one largish wheeled suitcase and a carry on each from Newark to JFK. I travel by PATH to WTC subway, walk to WTC-Cortlandt subway, and take the A line. My question is - how easy is it to walk across from WTC to WTC-Cortlandt? Are there any steps to negotiate?

IIRC the PATH concourse has a few stairs but there is a probably a ramp as well, which leads you to the ground floor of the Oculus. From there I think you need to take two separate elevators to get to the mezzanine for the (A) at Chambers Street, and then you'll need to go down the stairs to the platforms. 

You may want to consider taking NJ Transit to Penn Station and then taking the LIRR out to Jamaica.  It'll cost a little more but it'll be faster and easier is my guess.  Trains leave frequently to Jamaica as all mainline LIRR trains go through there.  From Jamaica you can get the Airtrain to JFK, same as you would from the A.  You need to take NJ Transit to get to the Path train anyway, and once on it you may as well stay on to NY Penn. 

Edited by zacster

What zacster said above is true and is probably your best bet, but if you really want the subway, why not the (E)? I'm pretty sure it's easier to reach the (E) from the Oculus than it is to the (A). IIRC, one of the stairs somewhere on the second level of the concourse next to the (R)(W) platforms lead right to the (E) platform.

14 hours ago, CyclonicTrainLookout said:

What zacster said above is true and is probably your best bet, but if you really want the subway, why not the (E)? I'm pretty sure it's easier to reach the (E) from the Oculus than it is to the (A). IIRC, one of the stairs somewhere on the second level of the concourse next to the (R)(W) platforms lead right to the (E) platform.

The (E) is a longer ride from WTC. His best bet is to walk to Fulton Center for the (A)