Luxofor Street Lights

Smoot178

I agree, I like the design and the countdown for walkers.

Honestly, I have to admit, that does not prevent pedestrian incidents. I am there would still be arrogant pedestrians crossing on a red when there are no cars or cross diagonally. Naturally, we don't want to wait. Even if there are 15 more secs, they would still dart away when they think the coast is clear. People would still do that, mark my words.

Of course there would be, but maybe less, for me it would be much better to know when the 'walk' is getting green.

Yea... talking about traffic lights... I was in Raleigh, NC in 2004. I was going to get on the I-40. I was near a BP petrol station when I saw the oddest traffic light EVER!

It looked like a metallic dragonfly or some weird insect. It had 2 reds, 1 yellow and green. The reds were arranged so that they were next to each other. The yellow stemmed from the conjunction of the two reds. Totally strange.

Yea... talking about traffic lights... I was in Raleigh, NC in 2004. I was going to get on the I-40. I was near a BP petrol station when I saw the oddest traffic light EVER!

It looked like a metallic dragonfly or some weird insect. It had 2 reds, 1 yellow and green. The reds were arranged so that they were next to each other. The yellow stemmed from the conjunction of the two reds. Totally strange.

I would think it looks like something else... :)

The countdown feature would be useful, but that might mean adding software to the traffic lights and computer controlling them, which would mean costly upgrades.

Plus, I don't know if I would be able to see the boxes better than the circles. Maybe run a test program, see how people like it, and then go on that,

I doubt it would be at every intersection, this countdown feature. Having them everywhere would be a bit too costly. And what if they jack up??? Even if they don't jack up, there would be arrogant individuals who would just dart across the street. I mean, if you are on a hurry, why would you bother waiting 25 secs, when the coast is clear? I think we all have overlooked this: pedestrian-pedestrian incidents. Since pedestrians are everywhere on the sidewalk, when the people who like to hurry see that there are 10 seconds left, they would scramble madly down the sidewalk and cross the street. In the meantime, they would bump into other people. I'm not saying that these incidents happen on a day-to-day basis, nor will I say that this will never happen. But, I think that this issue should deserve somewhat more attention.

I would recommend it for the intersections crossing Queens Boulevard. That would help cutting down pedestrian fatalities.

Oh by the way, pedestrian deaths are not all as a result of jaywalking. Pedestrian deaths can occur if the driver hits the pedestrian while making a turn, or if the driver enters the intersection prematurely, while the pedestrian is still walking. The countdown does not prevent that.

THIS can really prevent pedestrian fatalities, THAT IS IF THEY BOTHER TO LOOK DOWN:

London26.jpg

Keep in mind, that is London. So if you look right first when jaywalking a two-way street in America or any place that drives the opposite of the British, you're bound to get killed. Unless you are that lucky. When crossing a two-wayer, LOOK LEFT.

Archived