Do I have a chance

Fort Hamilton

When i call the DCAS number the recording says im on an outstanding certification for the t/o list. What exactly does this mean is it good or bad i tried to call directly but the phone just rings and rings nobody answers. Also does anybody know if there is a t/o class coming out in the near future or is there a hiring freeze now like everything else in the city. Any info at all would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Don't know when the next T/O class will be but there is NO hiring freeze for essential employees.

They did hire a ridiculous amount of T/O's in the last 2 years though so they might be good for a while. There are 800 more T/O's right now then only 5 years ago.

When i call the DCAS number the recording says im on an outstanding certification for the t/o list. What exactly does this mean is it good or bad...

From what I understand, when the DCAS automated line states that "you are on an outstanding certification" it means that the agency you applied for has reached your list number. If it states "not on an outstanding certification", they have not reached your number.

Another T/O class is due out next week or the week after, as told to me by a TSS. Alot of O/C people are getting canned once again. It is for not learning from the first mistake, and not taking the job seriously. They take the job for granted. I'm off the O/C list, but was hired as a promotional, so myself and the others who came off the O/C list, but were hired as promotionals, don't count as O/C, cause we have a job to go back to in MTA. We know how the blue beast works..........

How do I know alot of newbies got canned? Was told by a schoolcar TSS, and now the program changes once again, where we don't get only line TSS's once on our own while on probation, but a school-car TSS's is assigned to you, and come out and ride with you all day now, sometimes. If they feel you know your "sh!t", they don't come out as much, but if not, then they will ride you till you beg for mercy........

So in short, the mass hiring of T/Os continue. I haven't seen a new conductors class recently, or B/O class either........

What Tricknologist says is the way DCAS works. If you are on an Outstanding certification that means your list number with many others, are next to be called. Forget calling them, they rarely answer. Best bet is to call MTA (PM me for number). They have skipped names (not intentionally, it's just the shear amount of people to be called)........

I'm off the O/C list, but was hired as a promotional, so myself and the others who came off the O/C list, but were hired as promotionals, don't count as O/C, cause we have a job to go back to in MTA. We know how the blue beast works..........

I thought once you get hired from the open competetive even though you had a previous title you relinquish the right to go back to that other title because you didn't get called off of a promotional test. I thought this was the "punishment" for getting called from the much much easier test.

It seems for some reason that the majority of B/O's become T/O's from the open competetive and not from the promotional tests. Why is this?

And DOB2RTO about the new T/O's getting fired, they must be doing some major serious offenses because when you're on probation they give you ALOT of rope because of the money they just investing in training you for 6 months.

I thought once you get hired from the open competetive even though you had a previous title you relinquish the right to go back to that other title because you didn't get called off of a promotional test.

It seems for some reason that the majority of B/O's become T/O's from the open competetive and not from the promotional tests. Why is this?

It's in the Blue Book, as long as you work for NYCTA, SIRTOA, or MaBSTOA, and accept a position in another title in MTA whether promo or O/C, you have the right to go back to your old position before your year is up in the new position. You have to resign your position, to cover your own a$$, cause they can slip up and have you AWOL. You do not relinquish nothing until your year is up in the new title, then you can't go back. Only thing those called off the promo list, have over us who came off the O/C but hired promo, is seniority since that list has to be called first. We have quite a few C/R who came off the O/C list also, and they have nearly 5 years in that title. TA B/O's as always part of the group that could take the Promo exam for T/O, along with C/R's. MaBSTOA could not (where I come from, since it is "private"), but could take it on the O/C, but when hired they are hired promotional, and put on a separate sheet from the actual O/C people. I just got my nice fat check that included my week paid vacation from buses, my cashed in 2 sick days, and other stuff, in this check with my new pass number. I got to pick my vacation, and I have two weeks, due to the 2+ years I was a B/O with OA. All of our time, benefits, record, sick days, etc...., transfers over.........

So in short, those like me aren't O/C, we just come off that list. We are actually promotionals. They ask who are the promotionals, in our "Off the Street" class........

And DOB2RTO about the new T/O's getting fired, they must be doing some major serious offenses because when you're on probation they give you ALOT of rope because of the money they just investing in training you for 6 months.

That is why now they will have schoolcar TSS's sometimes ride with us all day long. I had one today. I was told this by who was with me today, this is the new program. Line TSS's have their agenda (to serve the line Superintendent, so making sure we know the route and don't destroy the line), schoolcar TSSs have theirs (making sure we operate schoolcar way, and know our stuff). This way problems that slip through can be corrected before trouble happens. TA doesn't give alot of rope if you are always late, and act as if you don't care, acting as if TA suppose to accommodate you for when you decide to show up. That's one issue..........

Last, you know as well as I do how some who shouldn't be down here "slip through the cracks", and hire ups start to question what's going on when the same person messes up over and over again, without seeming to "get it"...........

It is for not learning from the first mistake, and not taking the job seriously. They take the job for granted.

Well with the economy, that is going to be rising. I know a lot of people are just applying because it's a job and not because it's something they really want to do.

Well with the economy, that is going to be rising. I know a lot of people are just applying because it's a job and not because it's something they really want to do.

See you understand. Alot do not want to be her, they just want the "big money", and a secure job. They just don't do their part to keep it secure. As RTOMan use to say alot on the boards, he takes his job seriously, and you must. I take this job very seriously. Too many lives are at stake, and you do risk life and limb (seen a couple of TSS's with missing fingers). A simple screw up, and now someones cleaning up someones remains, or missing parts.........

It seems that from alot of posts i read the t/o job is not something to take for granted however from what i read it also seems that when you are on the job they are constantly trying to get you fired for every little thing. Is this how it is all the time or am i just being paranoid from reading to much.

It seems that from alot of posts i read the t/o job is not something to take for granted however from what i read it also seems that when you are on the job they are constantly trying to get you fired for every little thing. Is this how it is all the time or am i just being paranoid from reading to much.

While I can't speak from personal experience but from what Jah and other T/Os on the forum, you are correct.

This is EXACTLY correct!!! T/O's are the number one target of TA for reasons that I don't know.

As I have said many times before the TA hates its own employees with a tremendous passion. The worst 2 departments are RTO and stations for getting harrassed and abused, but it happens in other departments also just not nearly as much.

The TA expects a T/O to be 100% perfect every single day for a 25+ year career. That's not possible for humans. It's a good job because it's secure with a pension but it gets harder and harder working for a company that has zero respect for you and essentially HATES you.

Assuming i get the call i guess ill have to do my very best to pay attention and be alert to learn what seems to be lots of rules and procedures. It makes sense though i mean after all you are operating a huge machine with hundreds of people on board who just want to get to and from work in one piece. I have to admit though it is discouraging to think from day one you will be working for a company that wants you out the door before you even get started,does anyone ever retire from this job? Ill have lots of questions as time goes on and thanks to everyone for the info its good to now that i can ask about things i need to know. But for now all i can do is sit down wait and check the mailbox every day.

Assuming i get the call i guess ill have to do my very best to pay attention and be alert to learn what seems to be lots of rules and procedures. .

There are alot of rules and the worst part is the rule book is constantly changing. Rules are being added and changed on a daily basis but they only give you a new updated rulebook every 5-10 years.

It is a disgrace that they are allowed to change the rules on a daily basis and hold operating personnel to them.

Very True Train Operators are the #1 target because the whole MTA Rule book mentions the Train Operator then any other job title in transit even way more then Bus Operators. Train Operators actions are Monitored by Train Dispatchers , Train Service Supervisors , Tower Operators and Conductors. If a Train Operator does something wrong those title I just mention job is to report the Train Operator.

Now with all that said it doesn't barther me. I do the job I am paid to do. I take it very seriously and read my Bulletin Board every day so I am updated on all changes. Most of the time I get tell the TSS's the G.O on the line before he could get the first word out to ask me if I know what going on. I also check with my C/R to make sure they know what is going on because I believe a crew has to be on the same page we a team. When a crew works as a team both know whats going on and Customers get currect information. When you work for Transit especially Train Operators you MUST know your job because if your don't you will BURN at MTA Labor Relations. I can't be more blunt then that.

Very True Train Operators are the #1 target because the whole MTA Rule book mentions the Train Operator then any other job title in transit even way more then Bus Operators. Train Operators actions are Monitored by Train Dispatchers , Train Service Supervisors , Tower Operators and Conductors. If a Train Operator does something wrong those title I just mention job is to report the Train Operator.

Now with all that said it doesn't barther me. I do the job I am paid to do. I take it very seriously and read my Bulletin Board every day so I am updated on all changes. Most of the time I get tell the TSS's the G.O on the line before he could get the first word out to ask me if I know what going on. I also check with my C/R to make sure they know what is going on because I believe a crew has to be on the same page we a team. When a crew works as a team both know whats going on and Customers get currect information. When you work for Transit especially Train Operators you MUST know your job because if your don't you will BURN at MTA Labor Relations. I can't be more blunt then that.

I can see that working with you would be kick ass. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I can accept the fact that i will have to work any day and any hours but are there any crap jobs that nobody wants to pick that will give a rookie at least steady hours every week, because different hours every day or week or however it works could drive a person insane.

You will have a different schedule 5 days a week for many years depending on which tour you work.

Archived