Colombus Circle Station

Lefferts Blvd X

On the IRT platform I am happy to see the remnants of the of the 1960's and 1970's tile covered up. When the (NYCT) added tile in the 1960-70's (either new stations or extended platforms), it was bland and ugly tile. It is now being covered up with new IRT like design. I'm glad to see the station being restored to its original glory from 1904.

The 70's décor was so utilitarian, I'm glad they are actually remedying it.

Call me crazy, but I'll actually miss that old, utilitarian decor a little. My home station always had it when I was growing up, so I'd see those off-color yellow tiles when the train pulled in, and I always knew I was home.

Nostalgia, indeed, just ain't the same as it used to be.

From my observations it really, really ,really, really depends on the station and what they have done exactly. I'd take utilitarian tile over peeling moldy stuff anyday!

- A

I wish they had left that one 10 foot IND style section of tile and mosaic tablet on the southbound near the connection.

It's taking forever to do this. Are they finished on the street yet? I've been waiting ever since the TW center open to see what the new circle would look like. On the IND it all still looks like it did a year ago.

I can see where they put the floor tile in the middle, though it is not beyond the stairways to the mezzanine, so it looks like it will only be the section open to the public. This was a good idea, however, and since from the rendition, the railing will only be within the line of columns, there shouls still be enough space between the railing and the platform edge to still use the platform for special boarding, like the fantrips.

From my observations it really, really ,really, really depends on the station and what they have done exactly. I'd take utilitarian tile over peeling moldy stuff anyday!

- A

On that note, let's hope Columbus Circle looks better once they finally finish the work on the uptown 1 platform. I'm only that nostalgic about my home station (96th Street). The rest - redo em!

Archived