Broadway gets a new face in midtown

metsfan

This plan will calls for putting all former Broadway traffic in that stretch on 7th Avenue.

So basically, all taxis, livery cabs, sightseeing buses, private vehicles, coaches, emergency vehicles, buses whatever gets dumped on the neighbouring 7th Avenue.

Eliminating the Broadway stretch does not necessarily mean that it will streamline travels. In fact, Seventh Avenue will have to deal with even more traffic. And 7th itself is pretty busy. Even with the Broadway plan, there will be traffic jams. With the Broadway plan, there is less mobility, as it will constrict all southbound vehicles to using 7th ONLY in that sector. And I'm not sure if that many drivers would be tempted to travel on 5th or 9th.

And how will the existing Broadway buses travel?

How will they get rerouted?

Broadway is an obstacle in the street grid, but wiping it from driving traffic can bring unnecessary damage to the businesses there. Sure, you can argue that with this plan, more pedestrians are attracted to the stores and buy stuff, or whatever. However, if you convert Broadway into something like the Fulton Street Mall in Brooklyn, there will be greater success.

You are not understanding something: if Broadway does not interfere, traffic on 7th Avenue will flow 17% faster. So even if more cars come to 7th Avenue, it can handle the extra traffic because it flows much better than it did before. And you are forgetting about 6th Avenue, on which traffic will be flow 37% faster.

Well, Broadway is a distracting object so get it blocked in the busiest part which in fact in New York, worksout positvely than like Boston and Philly! Anything can happen in New York! Remember that MTR, trust me!

My plan for Broadway is to follow the Fulton Street Mall concept. Look at Fulton Street Mall, it is a bustling area filled with shops and pedestrians. And yes, that stretch is pedestrian friendly. Similar models have been set, such as the 16th Street Mall in Denver. While allowing pedestrian mobility, it can also allow bus mobility. The model is: make Broadway a pedestrian zone, however at the same time, save 1 or 2 lanes for buses. It won't hurt at all. Buses can travel faster in this set up. And plus, Lord forbids something happens on Broadway, emergency vehicles can access this area quickly with a reserved lane in this closed stretch. If Broadway is completed knocked out in this area, with plazas covering it, there are potential safety issues.

And look, if you knock the buses out of that portion of Broadway, where will you send them?

What looks good on paper does not always look good in reality. Consider the bike lane in Grand Street. On paper, it was a project praised by thousands. When it was finally implemented, one traffic lane was seized and the parking spots were off-setted further into the street.

Er, that won't make much difference! Fulton-Street Mall type of street does not suit in Midtown and Downtown Manhattan unfortunatly... I would rather see Broadway be turned into a regulat pedestrain street! Would be awesome and people-friendly, :(!

How are you so certain it won't work out?

Broadway is a major traffic artery in Manhattan, there are several bus routes down it. Closing a couple blocks would require reroutes onto different roads. And what does this mean? More vehicles on neighbouring streets. Take the Times Square section for kicks. Under the new plan, Broadway is to close between 47th and 42nd. This will require every southbound vehicle to switch to 7th Avenue. And 7th Avenue is very busy itself. Adding loads of buses won't help much. While it may mean "pedestrian-friendly" for those on Broadway, I am not certain about that term to be applied to the other streets.

And, with a demarcated bus lane, buses travelling south on Broadway would actually have faster travelling times, since they do not have to deal with the diversions and all of that.

I believe, given the economic state of our city, that the general plan is a folly. Money should be spent on more economically-wise projects. Sure, making New York City more pedestrian friendly is a must, however, improving the overall infrastructure and minimising impacts are greater musts. Now I tell you, how does shutting off a couple blocks of Broadway make money for the city? We need the money to fix potholes, to make roads safe, improve pedestrian crossings etc...

The NYCDOT has great plans on paper, but when implemented, they can cause serious issues there were previously overlooked.

I believe it'll speed things up and by the way... Do you want a walking street on 34th Street or 42nd Street or would you rather have one on Broadway? Traffic diversion may improve traffic flow... Since you won't have a six-way intersection, :P!

In this economy, neither.

We are not ready for this nonsense. When we are in an economic recovery, I'll open one eye to plan.

@MTR Admiralty:

Well, it'll improve the economy... More business and licensed street vendors would be around, :)!

Plaza space does not mean more buildings could be erected and more shops to be open. Licensed vendors do not signify a boost in our economy. Our economy is determined by several factors. The vendors, when compared to retail giants, are small potato. And I rather not have an open bazaar on Broadway. Wasn't the whole idea supposed to help PEDESTRIAN TRAFFIC FLOW? The presence of these carts will only signify another version of chaos, don't you want pedestrians to walk carefree and unhindered. Well, I feel another 20 hot dog vendors will be a barricade for these people.

Shutting off a street entirely to cars does not mean that businesses could spring on Broadway. There are people who drive to these places. And boom, they can no longer enter this zone. Do they want to walk all the way there to shop again? Put yourself in their shoes. I guess not. They would go some place else. That will put those Broadway businesses in jeopardy of closing down. Sounds fun? Absolutely not.

Well, I am not saying Building be erected... Temporary street shops could open and vendors can attract tourists and people to Broadway and may stimulate the economy since a lot of people come to Broadway and buy stuff... And these temporary shops and vendors sure can make shopping so much fun... Well, for Broadway recently, vehicle capacity seems to be low and Madison Ave (which apparently is like having at least one bus per block, not including private busses, taxis, cars, trucks and out of (MTA) bus) is moving fast... Sure, you may think it won't help but it just may so watch and see for once sake!

Um no, I rather not buy from those street vendors, because I am not sure if they are licensed and I am not sure what kind of goods they are carrying. And no, these guys do little to help out in the bigger picture. People should buy from retailers. And what temporary street shops are you talking about? My big question is: WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT HERE?

And how does this answer my "pedestrian question"?

Trolly & streetcar = for teh win.

- A

I like street cars, they could do some good and also improve city economy...

Vision42 is a good concept in general, however, it talks about shutting the entire length of 42nd Street. No car access, no buses either. I'm against it. The question plays again, where will the displaced cars go? Can the neighbouring one way streets handle the traffic?

Streetcars MAY improve the economy, but only if they are much needed. Your HBLR example shows a light rail line that was desperately needed. However, 42nd Street is all built up, such a line does no other purpose than to provide a carfree and carefree travel means along the route. In fact, there may be adverse effects since you are cutting out 42nd Street to cars.

Have you seen what it looks like along the HBLR?

- A

Completely two different examples. JC is not as built up as this corridor. The light rail line acted as a stimulus since it allowed the people of Bayonne and Bergen Cty to reach the City via PATH. Along the line, residential complexes and jobs were built along. However, Times Square and much of East 42nd Street are already built up. There isn't much need for this line. And plus, shutting an entire street for that is nonsense.

Well, it is already in plan at red hook... A modern trolly would do as well, :(!

Well, Iam for VisionBDWY... 34th and 42nd street getiing shut down, not the best since it'll disrupte 'the grid'... I would rather let this go down Brroadway, possibly from Columbus Circle to around Herald Square...

Dude... I'm trying to talking about Vision42. And dude, you know that this won't do much to the economy. Don't make me repeat myself. You could find my arguments in like several pages in this thread.

Archived