Broadway gets a new face in midtown

metsfan

Hope the idea is dead.

MTA is going to protest this plan.

(MTA) has absolutely nothing to do with this, and it's scheduled for the changes to start this summer i believe.

I think it's awesome. While i think broadway is an interesting and historically significant road, it totally messes up traffic patterns in midtown. My only issue with it, is where will the macy's parade route be? I'm guessing they will take a zig-zag route down, or once a year simply move stuff out of the way to allow parades to use it. If they have barriers that can be removed it should be fine.

- A

Why post a statement that makes no sense?

I think this is a good idea as well, the only way to limit traffic is Manhattan is limit the roadways!

Actually, this will increase capacity by restoring even more of the grid, and getting rid of weird "pinch points" by literally pointed intersections which complicate the flow of traffic.

- A

Good theory in that it provides for the people and that it will make the city greener. HOWEVER. Poor design. That will mean reroutes onto other thoroughfares for vehicles travelling down Broadway. And there are several bus lines that travel down Broadway.

Broadway is a traffic problem, closing some or most of it off south of columbus circle to the park is a good thing for traffic, not a bad thing!

- A

In theory this is a good idea. However, traffic has to go somewhere. This will inconvenience many motorists.

Guys, i'm going to try to explain one more time.

The grid of roads in manhattan is a very good system for moving traffic. Broadway is not part of, and pre-dates the grid plan. The area where broadway cuts across the grid is causing choke points with both pedestrian and vehicular traffic.

Removing broadway as a vehicular roadway where it interrupts the grid will IMPROVE traffic, not hinder it. I hope this clears up anyone left who thinks it's somehow bad to basically close a route that interrupts an otherwise well oiled traffic moving machine.

- A

Guys, i'm going to try to explain one more time.

The grid of roads in manhattan is a very good system for moving traffic. Broadway is not part of, and pre-dates the grid plan. The area where broadway cuts across the grid is causing choke points with both pedestrian and vehicular traffic.

Removing broadway as a vehicular roadway where it interrupts the grid will IMPROVE traffic, not hinder it. I hope this clears up anyone left who thinks it's somehow bad to basically close a route that interrupts an otherwise well oiled traffic moving machine.

- A

But buses got to go somewhere... no?

Exactly, so the bus routes were implemented according to the Broadway design, no?

..... Look at a map.... Do you see where they are closing it to traffic? it will not have a negative impact on busses or other traffic, it will make traffic move easier less travel time.

Please just look at the map in the news link. I've been at those intersections many countless times unsure of where to cross and when. This is a welcome long needed change, not some weird random experimental idea.

- A

..... Look at a map.... Do you see where they are closing it to traffic? it will not have a negative impact on busses or other traffic, it will make traffic move easier less travel time.

Please just look at the map in the news link. I've been at those intersections many countless times unsure of where to cross and when. This is a welcome long needed change, not some weird random experimental idea.

- A

I am not convinced with the plan.

I would only support the plan if a bus lane is reserved on Broadway, with the rest converted into pedestrian usage.

I am not convinced with the plan.

I would only support the plan if a bus lane is reserved on Broadway, with the rest converted into pedestrian usage.

Bus lane? Put the bus lane on the ave's. If manhattan was pure grid, traffic would flow so smoothly. The points where broadway intersects with ave/st intersections creates a 6 way traffic pattern vs 2 way. One light for the ave, one light for the st. No broadway light needed.

- A

Bus lane? Put the bus lane on the ave's. If manhattan was pure grid, traffic would flow so smoothly. The points where broadway intersects with ave/st intersections creates a 6 way traffic pattern vs 2 way. One light for the ave, one light for the st. No broadway light needed.

- A

This plan will calls for putting all former Broadway traffic in that stretch on 7th Avenue.

So basically, all taxis, livery cabs, sightseeing buses, private vehicles, coaches, emergency vehicles, buses whatever gets dumped on the neighbouring 7th Avenue.

Eliminating the Broadway stretch does not necessarily mean that it will streamline travels. In fact, Seventh Avenue will have to deal with even more traffic. And 7th itself is pretty busy. Even with the Broadway plan, there will be traffic jams. With the Broadway plan, there is less mobility, as it will constrict all southbound vehicles to using 7th ONLY in that sector. And I'm not sure if that many drivers would be tempted to travel on 5th or 9th.

And how will the existing Broadway buses travel?

How will they get rerouted?

Broadway is an obstacle in the street grid, but wiping it from driving traffic can bring unnecessary damage to the businesses there. Sure, you can argue that with this plan, more pedestrians are attracted to the stores and buy stuff, or whatever. However, if you convert Broadway into something like the Fulton Street Mall in Brooklyn, there will be greater success.

Archived