R160A on the F

NewUtrecht91

actually, i think the (4) is now 100% R142/142As like the (2)(5)(6). my post is not illogical because then what cars will the (A)(C) besides the R46s to retire the R40 slants and R32s? i already said there is not enough cars at Jamaica to do that.

In all honesty, how did we go from talking about the R160's début on the F to the 4 being exclusively NTT?

And as a matter of fact, the 4 still has a couple of R62/A's. Please check the datasheet, I update it frequently.

I am tired of seeing threads going off-topic.

So, to swerve this on topic, my story with the R160.

After looking out for it for 4 days, I finally managed to get myself on a ride on the R160 running on my home line. So I got on at 74th Street after a barrage of E trains (all R40/R42s) and took that to Jamaica-179. I backtracked to East Broadway. The ride was generally fast on the express portion, but when it got to Manhattan it was a crawl. At around 57th Street, ALL THE LIGHTS IN THE CAR went out. So we were in a dark car in the tunnel. The FINDs and LEDs were on. That was momentarily, must have been a gap in the electrical supply, causing this to happen.

My train:

South: 9352-9351-9350-9349-9348 North: 9257-9256-9255-9254-9253

It's too bad I had to return to school and miss this. However, I've seen enough pictures and videos to make some comments of my own, all in my opinion.

VERY impressed with some of the announcements. Except the "This is a Coney Island-Stillwell Avenue-bound (F) local train." I don't want to hear that at Av X. Shorten it to "This is a Coney Island-bound (F) train," as all (F) trains are local in Brooklyn for the time being anyway.

Once again, the MTA has under-utilized the F.I.N.D. TV Screens. If you're going to put via 63rd St on the Coney Island-bound (F) trains, why not put Culver Local under it? Isn't that on the side signs? Then for northbound, you would be able to include via 63rd St as well as Queens Blvd EXP. On all of the R160 lines so far, only 3 lines of text have been used on the TV Screen. When they displayed it in November of (2005?) they had many more lines in usage. They need to put everything there. But that is my pet peeve with all of the R160s. It's there, use it to its full extent. Oh, and on some pics, I swear I saw that the the TV screen said Coney Island when the train was actually going to Kings Hwy.

Side signs, well they really should've been the same as the R46s, meaning 63rd St/6 Av Lcl, 6 Av/63rd St Lcl. But overall, it looks good being on the (F). Can't wait to ride it (which will be 2 months from now unfortunately...) for the whole way round trip. Thanks for the info and pictures everyone who posted.

Archived