R160A on the F

NewUtrecht91

Ugh, you guys are taking things out of proportion. Just because the (F) is getting R160's does not mean the (E) is getting rid of its R160's and not receiving them anymore. Do any of you remember the recent past, while R160's were coming into Coney Island onto the (N) as few months later they went to the (W) as well (and eventually the (Q)) even though the (N) wasn't fully R160's. The (N)(Q)(W) share R160's just as the (E) and (F) will share them.

Maserati, it's based on R32_R3838's comment that he heard from a TSS that the (E) will be losing most of its R160s to the (F) and more R32s will be showing up on the (E). While R32_3838 isn't right about everything he is right about some things (like most of us), most recently the (A) getting R46s (though I'm not sure about the reason he gave). And, it seems, at least one of the R160s on the (F) was in service on the (E) recently. As long as as when the R160s go into service some go to the (E) and some go to the (F), then that's fine as the (F) has lots of R32s and some R40M/R42s to replace as well as the (E) having lots of R40M/R42s to replace.

Maserati, it's based on R32_R3838's comment that he heard from a TSS that the (E) will be losing most of its R160s to the (F) and more R32s will be showing up on the (E). While R32_3838 isn't right about everything he is right about some things (like most of us), most recently the (A) getting R46s (though I'm not sure about the reason he gave). And, it seems, at least one of the R160s on the (F) was in service on the (E) recently. As long as as when the R160s go into service some go to the (E) and some go to the (F), then that's fine as the (F) has lots of R32s and some R40M/R42s to replace as well as the (E) having lots of R40M/R42s to replace.

Yep, But one thing I thought was weird was the 14:55 (R) Usaaly be an R32 Now is ether R32 or R40M/R42, Yesterday it was an R32 (R), I rode it from atlantic to 95 and back to 71st ave, Most of the time they relay it on the express tracks at Parsons Bivd on the (F), The R32 was not taken out of service and it made anohther round trip, Then the R42 came in and they layed up the R42 instead an I only saw 2 sets of R32's on the (F), I did not even see one on the (E), So I knew they were on the (R), I think the (R) would be getting the leftover R32's from the (F), But they can also put them on the (E) for PM Rush Hour service like around 3:00, That's when they really strat taking Trains out the yard. The (E) is still R160 but less, I see more R40M/42's on the (E), The (R) only had 1 R32 set but there were mostlikely more at CI Yard waiting for Rush Hour service.

So, the 3 R160s servicing the (F) are replacing the 3 R46s that went to the (A) and R32/R42/R40Ms in Jamaica are retired as soon as R160s go in service in Jamaica. But it seems new R160s are testing on the (F), so there are more slants to go and the (E) will not get R160s to add until the slants are retired on the (A)? How many slants are left on the (A) and how many more of Jamaica's, presumably the (F) and not the (R) or (V)'s R46s will move to the (A)?

When will the (E) be fully R160? and are there plans to move more R32s to the (E) while the slants are being retired?

The R32'a at Jamaica are not going to be reefed, The remaining R32's at Jamaica, is unkown to where they might end up, Jamaica sent the R46's to pitkin for a reason, to me that was a smart move, jamaica still need their R32's for back up if an R160 has problems, and you can't use an r40M/42 as a back up because they are having more problems than anything.

The R32'a at Jamaica are not going to be reefed, The remaining R32's at Jamaica, is unkown to where they might end up, Jamaica sent the R46's to pitkin for a reason, to me that was a smart move, jamaica still need their R32's for back up if an R160 has problems, and you can't use an r40M/42 as a back up because they are having more problems than anything.
The R46s are the most reliable on Queens Blvd, not the R32s and I think that it's mistake that the 5 or more sets of R46s went to Pitkin. First off, the F got their R160As earlier than anticipated when they can continue to use their R46s. Second, the R160As aren't forseen to have problems except for their FIND systems. Therefore, the E should not release its R160As in the extent that the R42s and R32s are poorly maintained at Jamaica and can be faulty at times. Finally, the original purpose of the R46s on 8th Avenue is to extend the C train to full length, not for them to supplement the A. The R42s should've gone back to the A since they are preventing the E from getting more R160As. Now without 5 or more sets of R46s, the MTA has no choice but to give the F some of the E's R160As. If the R40Ms/R42s went back to the A to retire the slants, the E would've been all R160As by now.

I heard that they are only service for a short while , so T/Os can get the feel of it.

Nope. They're in service, period. The crews are qualified for the 160s in school car so they have no excuses for messing up while taking them out for revenue service.

The R46s are the most reliable on Queens Blvd, not the R32s and I think that it's mistake that the 5 or more sets of R46s went to Pitkin. First off, the F got their R160As earlier than anticipated when they can continue to use their R46s. Second, the R160As aren't forseen to have problems except for their FIND systems. Therefore, the E should not release its R160As in the extent that the R42s and R32s are poorly maintained at Jamaica and can be faulty at times. Finally, the original purpose of the R46s on 8th Avenue is to extend the C train to full length, not for them to supplement the A. The R42s should've gone back to the A since they are preventing the E from getting more R160As. Now without 5 or more sets of R46s, the MTA has no choice but to give the F some of the E's R160As. If the R40Ms/R42s went back to the A to retire the slants, the E would've been all R160As by now.

another idea that does not make sense what-so-ever.

Let me chime in on what's going on. The 68's are NOT going anywhere. The original plan was to begin placing the 160's on the (F) in January. Instead, the 160's were placed on the (E) in late-December. Pitkin getting the 46's was too soon. They should have waited till the Slants are gone.

The TA should have the (F) line 100% 160's first. Then the remaining 160's go to the E. With the 370+ 160's Jamaica is getting, it seems possible to do. Afterall, Coney Island isn't getting anymore 160's.

Coney Island is still getting R160s. the (Q)(W) still uses R68/68As and they are supposed to be fully R160s as well. there is a chance the (G) may also use R160s once it goes to Coney Island, so some R68/68As may go to Pitkin to replace the R32s on the (C).

Let me chime in on what's going on. The 68's are NOT going anywhere. The original plan was to begin placing the 160's on the (F) in January. Instead, the 160's were placed on the (E) in late-December. Pitkin getting the 46's was too soon. They should have waited till the Slants are gone.

The TA should have the (F) line 100% 160's first. Then the remaining 160's go to the E. With the 370+ 160's Jamaica is getting, it seems possible to do. Afterall, Coney Island isn't getting anymore 160's.

Of the 3 primary lines, the (A), (E), and (F), the (E) is the most crowded and most needing of 60 footers. Both the (A) and (F) run mostly 75 footers, and the 75 footers are more reliable than the oldest 60 footers. So, the priority clearly is that the (E) should get the R160s first, not the (F), and IMO, if the (A) could run the R160s, the (A) should get them next. My problem with the R160s on the (F) is the same as I have with them on the (Q) and (N). While the R46 is a 30+ year old train, it is still a lot more modern than what the (E) and the (A) riders had to use for so many years. The (N) and (Q) are having R68s replace, so there's something that makes straphangers go huh???? (yes I know it is about yards vs. lines but from the straphangers POV, it's illogical)

But anyway, R160s work well on the (E), the (E) needs 26 trains, the process has begun and the ridership has responded positively to them. The (F) kinda needs them now since it runs so many R32s. But the R32s can go on the (V), and the (F) should take the (V)'s R46s, or the (G)'s.

another idea that does not make sense what-so-ever.

I'm very interested on what your views are. You're just one of the people who can't accept the fact that the R32s are old and spits at the R42s just b/c they rust. I acknowledge the fact that the R40Ms/R42s break down a lot, but giving them to the A would rather help the E train. The R160As are not going to the E b/c currently it's the F that's losing their cars for the A train. Not to mention, there are enough R40Ms/R42s to wipe out the rest of the slants on the A. If the E gave up their R40Ms/R42s, then the R160As would cover the entire line sooner. Seriously I'm fed up with your deceptions about the R42s when the move is just temporary. Like others, I want the E to be filled with R160As ASAP, not to deteriorate the A line. But hey, life is about sacrifices.

I'm very interested on what your views are. You're just one of the people who can't accept the fact that the R32s are old and spits at the R42s just b/c they rust. I acknowledge the fact that the R40Ms/R42s break down a lot, but giving them to the A would rather help the E train. The R160As are not going to the E b/c currently it's the F that's losing their cars for the A train. Not to mention, there are enough R40Ms/R42s to wipe out the rest of the slants on the A. If the E gave up their R40Ms/R42s, then the R160As would cover the entire line sooner. Seriously I'm fed up with your deceptions about the R42s when the move is just temporary. Like others, I want the E to be filled with R160As ASAP, not to deteriorate the A line. But hey, life is about sacrifices.

so totally true

No , Acoording to TSS,T/O's and Yardmen The R32's are more reliable, But The R46's are reliable too, The R38's were the Only Most relaible when The R40/M,and R42 was on the (A), All The Time I would see more and More R38's instead of R42's, The T/O's on the (A)/© Lines alway's like their R38's as well as the R32's and R40 slants, The reason why the R42's are not going back to pitkin is because they do not want to deal with the R42's at all, Any yard for that matter expet ENY, When the R42's were at pitkin, They caused more problems, and the T/O,C/R,TSS,dispacther's and passengers did not like those cars on the (A) as well as the (C), so That's why they are not going back, and That's why Jamaica is kepping some R32's, For Back up, The r46's are only relplacing the slants, R40M/42 are going after the slants, There is about 24 R42 in CCY as well as 6 R40M's.

i agree R40M/42s do not belong the (E), but i would not have them on the (A) either. seriously, i felt they were better off on the (C). i actually rode on them during the four weeks that ran on that line and did not feel bad at all. IMO, R68/68As should have gone to the (A) while the (:( keeps all the slants. the (A) needs cars that can perform well while the (B) needs speed. the (E) should have kept all remaining R32s while R160s go on the (F)(R) first. that is just my view. i think the the (B) should also get R160s as well.

Wrong. Coney Island already received their alottment of R160's. Explain to me why Jamaica has an R160B that one of our fellow members has photographic proof.

The R32's have been proven to be very reliable since the day they first ran. The R32's are the longest running R type. At four and a half decades of service, I would like for anyone to try to disagree with my previous statment. The 32's can be compared to the BMT Standards of this generation.

are you saying the (Q)(W) are not getting anymore R160s? they are supposed to be 100% R160s and they are not. Coney Island is still getting the option orders that have not arrived yet. just because Jamaica is now getting R160s does not mean it is now the only yard getting those cars. and yes, i agree the R32s are one of the most reliable cars in the system and will not retire until all R160s have been delivered.

Someone even said on SubChat that Coney Island isn't getting anymore R160's. The TA only wanted to make the (N) and (W) lines 100% R160's. The (Q) would be half 160's and half 68/A's. I've stated it before, Jamaica is getting the last batch of R160's.

that person on subchat may not be right. the (W) is still not fully R160s so unless (NYCT) is planning to discontinue that line, Coney Island still needs more R160s. the (Q) is supposed to also be fully R160s. idk where you got this inaccurate information. unless the Jamaica Yard is going to be 100% R160s (which is highly doubt is true since that means the (R)(V) will also use R160s), there is not enough R46s to replace all R32s and R40s on the (A)(C). that is why Coney Island needs its fair share of R160s as well so the R68/68As can replace whatever old cars are still at Pitkin and 207th Street.

The only way your statements hold water is if the 68's were going to Pitkin/207. Since the 46's are going to Pitkin/207, your statements don't hold water.

maybe not right now, but that can happen in the future because there is not enough R46s on the (F)(G) to replace all R32s and R40 slants on the (A)(C).

i agree R40M/42s do not belong the (E), but i would not have them on the (A) either. seriously, i felt they were better off on the (C). i actually rode on them during the four weeks that ran on that line and did not feel bad at all. IMO, R68/68As should have gone to the (A) while the (:( keeps all the slants. the (A) needs cars that can perform well while the (B) needs speed. the (E) should have kept all remaining R32s while R160s go on the (F)(R) first. that is just my view. i think the the (B) should also get R160s as well.

So, are you saying it's best to have cars on the C where riders would often run to the train and injure themselves? We've been through this before, R40/R42s are better suited for lines running 10 cars for stations that accommodate 10 cars.

As for the E having 32s, I guess you don't see any desire for the ridership of the E to have upgraded rolling stock. Neither the F or R are crying out for modern 60 footers as much as the E. From what I hear, the R32s have their share of problems (they are 45 years old afterall and require more maintenance than the R62s and newer).

Your views seem to be based on what you like rather than what fits the riding public best.

FE, when the (MTA) officially ax the (W), more R160 can be going on the (Q) and the extra R68 will be somewhere.

yeah, the extra R68/68As will go on the (A)(C) to retire any remaining old cars they have. plus, do not count the (W) just yet. there is still a small chance it can be saved.

So, are you saying it's best to have cars on the C where riders would often run to the train and injure themselves? We've been through this before, R40/R42s are better suited for lines running 10 cars for stations that accommodate 10 cars.

As for the E having 32s, I guess you don't see any desire for the ridership of the E to have upgraded rolling stock. Neither the F or R are crying out for modern 60 footers as much as the E. From what I hear, the R32s have their share of problems (they are 45 years old afterall and require more maintenance than the R62s and newer).

Your views seem to be based on what you like rather than what fits the riding public best.

yeah, that is just my opinion. i understand why R40/42s cannot run on the (C) (hey, i had to chase the train down once at 14th Street), but i just felt they look better on the (C) while R32s look better on the (E). every rider has their own opinion, but from what i heard, the majority of (E) riders seem to have a major dislike towards the R40M/42s and i do not blame them.

yeah, that is just my opinion. i understand why R40/42s cannot run on the (hey, i had to chase the train down once at 14th Street), but i just felt they look better on the while R32s look better on the . every rider has their own opinion, but from what i heard, the majority of riders seem to have a major dislike towards the R40M/42s and i do not blame them.

What I really wanted was for the A and B to switch their cars; the A gets all 200 R68As, while the B gets 200 R44s. Unfortunately, Brighton residents have their issues with these cars even after the GOH. I personally thought that was the easiest way for the A to get the R68As.

The MTA could've temporarily reinstalled the conductor boards, but they figured that the R40M/R42 trains wouldn't last another year. I definitely agreed that the R40Ms/R42s were fine on the C. After all when all R160As are set on the E, the R32s would've been goners.

What I really wanted was for the A and B to switch their cars; the A gets all 200 R68As, while the B gets 200 R44s. Unfortunately, Brighton residents have their issues with these cars even after the GOH. I personally thought that was the easiest way for the A to get the R68As.

The MTA could've temporarily reinstalled the conductor boards, but they figured that the R40M/R42 trains wouldn't last another year. I definitely agreed that the R40Ms/R42s were fine on the C. After all when all R160As are set on the E, the R32s would've been goners.

why would you want the R44s on the (:(? thought u loved on them on the (A)? also, thanks to the problems the R40/42s caused on the (C), the R32s, not the R40M/42s, will be last cars replaced by the R160s, which i totally like.

I think I'm compelled to say this again. The R68/A's aren't going anywhere. What's the purpose of transfering the 68's to 207/Pitkin that those two yards should be getting the 179's. The 68's will be at Coney Island and Concourse yards till the day its time to retire them. To make things perfectly clear, its like the (1) getting the 142A's from the (6). The 142A's have been a fixture on the (6) for almost a decade.

Going back on topic, the reason why the (E) got the 160's before the (F) is due to those 42's. (E) line riders are VERY vocal about what equipment is used. As a person who has been living near an (F) line station for almost 16 years, I could care less what equipment is used. Flushing Express, the odds of the (R) line using 160's is nill.

Remember a few things, the (R) and (V) must use the same equipment. I usually don't like to speculate on what may happen because things are subject to change. One good example of that rule is the 160's on the (N) & (W) lines. I recall many posts on SubChat stating the TA wanted to make Astoria-Ditmars Boulevard a 100% R160 terminal. Also, had the R160B's proved sucessful in its initial run on the (N) the R160A's would have been tested on the (Q) line. Some of you guys really need to dig up information before you begin to talk.

I hope I made myself clear to everybody.

who says R179s are going to 207th street/pitkin??? anything is possible in today's world. and if the TA wants the Astoria Line to be 100% R160s, then they would have to make the (Q) fully R160s if the (W) gets eliminated. like i said before, there is not enough R46s on the (F)(G) to fill up the (A)(C), so that means, some R68/68As from Coney Island will have to go there.

Have you ever heard of the word "rumor"? Your post is the most illogical scenario the MTA would ever do. The R68's will remain at Coney Island and Concourse till the day there retired. What don't you understand about that? As for not having enough cars, look at the (4) line. The TA didn't order enough 142/A's to cover the entire line.

actually, i think the (4) is now 100% R142/142As like the (2)(5)(6). my post is not illogical because then what cars will the (A)(C) besides the R46s to retire the R40 slants and R32s? i already said there is not enough cars at Jamaica to do that.

As much as I love the R44s on the B, having them as Brighton Express means that they are going to be on a part time line. Like some others, I believe that the oldest cars should be used on part time lines, while the newer cars should be used on full time lines. Right now, I really disagree with the R68As on the B b/c the R68As are only just a bit over 20 years old. Once the 60' SMEEs are gone, the R44s would in fact be the oldest in the system. The R68As are my second favorite bucket seated cars and I hate to see them wasted on the B train until their last days.

Also, the R179s are planned to debut on Queens Blvd instead of the Fulton. That means that the first R179s would unfortunately most likely be on the F to kick off the R46s instead of the A to directly replace the R44s.

I believe R160 option 2 and perhaps the rumored option 3 would be more than enough to replace all the remaining 60' SMEEs. However, I have a feeling that Option 3 if ordered would eventually end up on the future T since there are so many people stating that the T would be all R160A/B.

As much as I love the R44s on the B, having them as Brighton Express means that they are going to be on a part time line. Like some others, I believe that the oldest cars should be used on part time lines, while the newer cars should be used on full time lines. Right now, I really disagree with the R68As on the B b/c the R68As are only just a bit over 20 years old. Once the 60' SMEEs are gone, the R44s would in fact be the oldest in the system. The R68As are my second favorite bucket seated cars and I hate to see them wasted on the B train until their last days.

Well, the R68/A are no where near their end of the line, so you don't have to worry.

Archived