F train, 34th St. Manhattan to 7th Av Brooklyn

BSmith

Friday, a bit after peak hour.

Need to get to 7th Av by 6:35 pm

What's the estimated travel time? I'm estimating 35 minutes longest and the max waiting time of 9 minutes.

Sounds close? So, need to be at 34th St. by 5:51 pm.

I would say maybe 45min. at the most, but it could take a little longer depending onm how many (V) trains they run. Sometimes it can be (V)(V)(V)(F) and it takes for ever.

Oh, thanks. That pesky (V) train.

Is (A) to Jay and transfer to (F) a better option?

What (N) or (R) stop is near the (F)s 7th Av stop? Perhaps the (N) express is a faster way. Is (B) or (Q) a possibility?

The place I'm going to is 376 9th Street, near 6th Av.

Oh, thanks. That pesky (V) train.

Is (A) to Jay and transfer to (F) a better option?

What (N) or (R) stop is near the (F)s 7th Av stop? Perhaps the (N) express is a faster way. Is (B) or (Q) a possibility?

The place I'm going to is 376 9th Street, near 6th Av.

7th Ave. in Bkyln is pretty much by itself.. closest alternates would be Grand Army Plaza on the (2)(3)(4) or 4th Ave/9th St. on the (R)...

Use the MTA Travel Planner, it breaks it down for you. You can even tell it what time you want to get there by and it set up different plans.

OK. Will do. Headed off to mta.info

Seems like several lines will get me close, the (F) is best but (R), (Q) and (B) are also options.

Use the MTA Travel Planner, it breaks it down for you. You can even tell it what time you want to get there by and it set up different plans.

This worked well.

(F) leaves 34th St. at 6:05, arrives at 7th av at 6:31. Travel time 26 minutes.

I'll opt for the earlier 5:59 train that arrives at 6:26 just in case that 6:05 is delayed.

Also (R) was the second option. 5:53 to 6:27. Slower than (F) at 34 minutes.

Thanks everyone.

This worked well.

(F) leaves 34th St. at 6:05, arrives at 7th av at 6:31. Travel time 26 minutes.

I'll opt for the earlier 5:59 train that arrives at 6:26 just in case that 6:05 is delayed.

Also (R) was the second option. 5:53 to 6:27. Slower than (F) at 34 minutes.

Thanks everyone.

The (F) is much faster than the (R) because the (R) travels via Lower Manhattan and between City Hall and Rector St (bypassing Cortlandt St-WTC) has 2 wide turns and it travels at like 5 mph, then between DeKalb Av and Pacific St-Atlantic Av, it runs at a really slow speed. the (F) only runs to East Broadway, then speeds its way into Brooklyn via Carroll Gardens.

The (F) is much faster than the (R) because the (R) travels via Lower Manhattan and between City Hall and Rector St (bypassing Cortlandt St-WTC) has 2 wide turns and it travels at like 5 mph, then between DeKalb Av and Pacific St-Atlantic Av, it runs at a really slow speed. the (F) only runs to East Broadway, then speeds its way into Brooklyn via Carroll Gardens.

Also, there is a downward grade on the southbound R and W past City Hall, right before the curve. IMO, they should have used the lower level in the first place.

In fact that would be cool if the (MTA) is to store trains in the upper level so good for railfanners.

And yup that grade since the line has to reach Cortlandt St. Station which is slightly lower than City Hall in comparison.

The upper level was intended to be a terminal, while the lower level was for thru service into Brooklyn. The lower level is more or less on the same level as Cortlandt Street. But the upper level... that's a different story.

Thanks for the info and yeah it should a terminal since there is a like a very sharp curve from the south side of the station which shows signs of terminal-like structure.

I feel it should be converted into a mezzanine. It could offer a transfer to the 2 or the 3 (Park Place). That station is really close to City Hall.

Nope but saw the station. It is narrow, kinda dusty looking and both trains are visible at once. If you see a staircase on the mezzine (upper station), you can go there and look down and thats how you can see the lower level.

Those trains are lay-ups. Sometimes a train could be put in at Canal Street

I have a book with pictures of it. There are 3 tracks and 2 island platforms. And regarding the dust, they could always clear it.

Archived