Amtrak HHP8 new paint?

metsfan

Thanks, but why is there Acela Logos on it? And my computer is working fine, :confused:!

There's Acela logos on it since they go back to the days when Amtrak tried to give everything the Acela name. The Northeast Direct (now Northeast Regional) became the Acela Regional, and the Clocker became the Acela Commuter. However those Acela names were removed due to confusion with the Acela Express, however one HHP or so still has the Acela sticker.

There's Acela logos on it since they go back to the days when Amtrak tried to give everything the Acela name. The Northeast Direct (now Northeast Regional) became the Acela Regional, and the Clocker became the Acela Commuter. However those Acela names were removed due to confusion with the Acela Express, however one HHP or so still has the Acela sticker.

Most of them had the acela splotch up till recently.

- A

The only train that kept its name was the NYP-WAS Metroliner for which the HHP-8's were the main power. They were for a while, then they realized they could just use the Acela Express only and add more slots for North East Regionals and Keystone trains also I believe NJT got some of those slots and of course some went to NYP-WAS only Acela runs.

The only train that kept its name was the NYP-WAS Metroliner for which the HHP-8's were the main power. They were for a while, then they realized they could just use the Acela Express only and add more slots for North East Regionals and Keystone trains also I believe NJT got some of those slots and of course some went to NYP-WAS only Acela runs.

The clocker, which was supposed to be replaced by acela commuter was transfered to (NJT) in 2005.

The metroliner EMU which were supposed to run the NY to DC route were a failure and were relegated to NY to philadelphia to harrisburg service till the cab cars were rebuilt as unpowered units which to this day serve that same route. The last GG1's remained with the first E60's and AEM-7 on the "metroliner" route till it was discontinued.

Today the only DC to NY specific electric service is the southern half of the vermonter.

- A

I don't think you get what I'm saying there was a train named the metroliner and it lasted until recently(NYP-WAS), it has nothing to do with the Metroliner cars at all. The clockers were hauled in the end by ALP 46's(with Amtrak crews) and Amfleets. The Metroliner brand can still be seen on a single low density Amfleet I coach.

I don't think you get what I'm saying there was a train named the metroliner and it lasted until recently(NYP-WAS), it has nothing to do with the Metroliner cars at all. The clockers were hauled in the end by ALP 46's(with Amtrak crews) and Amfleets. The Metroliner brand can still be seen on a single low density Amfleet I coach.

What i'm saying is that the metroliner electric service was a complete package, with EMU of the same name for the service being rolled out in the late 60's, however they failed at this because of certain issues they had & were moved to the keystone corridor & other equipment took over. Most of the metroliner EMU were rebuilt into amfleet coaches etc, a few that remain are unpowered cab coach cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metroliner#First_generation_multiple_unit_trains

The clocker service was hourly between philly and NY. (NJT) does that now, but they stop at trenton, with :septa: connecting to philly. This freed up amtrak to have more equipment available for other stuff.

The HHP8's were used for metroliner service in the 2000's till that service was discontinued. The budd metroliner equipment is rebuilt into coaches and cab car coaches, none remain in original condition.

The car you saw was for the post-emu service era from like 1981 to i think 2005. Those are hard to find since they only needed a small number of coaches to get the job done for that service. They were hauled by AEM-7, sometimes an E60, and a few times before they retired a GG1 would pull a few. Those trains would usually remain hooked together unless a coach or the loco needed service or repairs.

Hope that clears up what i was trying to say.

- A

On the topic of paint, I put the pics in another thread but all the HHP's I saw yesterday had the standard paint. However while I was waiting for a NJCL train home in Newark, 650 pulled in with a train to DC. The way the train was sitting under the lights there it looked as if the paint was different.

On the topic of paint, I put the pics in another thread but all the HHP's I saw yesterday had the standard paint. However while I was waiting for a NJCL train home in Newark, 650 pulled in with a train to DC. The way the train was sitting under the lights there it looked as if the paint was different.

Thy must be experimenting with lower cost paint.

- A

Yea, the metal and fiberglass has been repainted but the plastic around the lamps is still the same color. Might have to do with the fact that they are clear and only painted to give a proper outline?

- A

Archived